Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to fairly debate this, it's required to know what Tusk actually tweeted:

"I've been wondering what that special place in hell looks like, for those who promoted #Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely."

Donald Tusk on Twitter

(Trust "The Sun" to mislead the public about the EU and the Brexit).
No I wouldn't trust the Sun either but here is a little something which was available long before Donald's rant. https://brexitcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ChangeorGo.pdf I see it runs to over a thousand pages--- not much detail there then? Mod please remove if deemed necessary

Tesla is in a special type of market scenario:
  • Tesla is cannibalizing ICE markets - which are mostly commodity markets were ICE cars are easy substitutes for each other, even in the luxury segment.
  • But you will not be able to cite a single example of an ICE car model that is attracting former Tesla buyers in any meaningful percentage.
  • Tesla customer retention rates are very high - pretty much the main scenario when Tesla owners go back to ICE cars is when their circumstances change and they aren't able to afford to have a Tesla anymore.
Which results in a one-way cannibalization of ICE sales by Tesla and in this kind of growth:
ut25p64zbte21.gif

Of course, the regular economics of products without substitutes applied to Apple's iPhone for about 10 years, and it applies to Tesla cars as well.

The overwhelming majority of ICE cars are not such products though (they are commodity products), which is where your confusion originates from.
Is there a way to pause the GIF?

On a bigger picture note, I do think that the bulk of Model 3 demand will be in the $35k-45k price range, and Tesla doesn't offer the low-end yet and is missing out on a lot of potential buyers. So, in this regard, it's a tricky time to navigate for Tesla. They need to quickly offer the $35k SR Model 3, but they're not able to do so immediately. But they're needing to keep demand up to sell all the cars the produce, especially until they can get the SR Model 3 out which will hopefully shore up demand.

I've said this before, but that makes sense - that's what the company marketed 3 years ago when they announced their product. Why they did that is beyond me if they didn't think they could get to that price point in a timely fashion.....

A SR Model 3 at 220 miles just isn't enough range for most to get super excited about an EV.

oh really? So it's now not enough when three years ago it was plenty? It's not like there are a plethora of choices to choose from - either the Bolt or the Model 3.

Last edited:
Shorts are screaming on twitter that Model3-s are delivered without AP in EU, it will be activated later. Guys from Belgium and Netherlands can you comment is it really so?

Wouldn't be surprised since the cars are probably equipped with the new AP chip. Don't know why delayed AP activation would be a big deal, though. I wouldn't mind a few weeks delay considering the potential of the new hardware.

OK, just for giggles, please name the cars you feel competes with the Model 3. Even the ICE cars are falling to it's sales numbers. So, let's hear 'em.

Dan
Personally as a non EV lover (thiuhf I own stock and like the concept of Tesla.) I find it hard to justify purchase of a Tesla when I can get a brand new full size 4x4 truck for less which can tow 10,000 lbs. Or a completely tricked out larger sedan like a Nissan Maxima. A compelling electric drivetrain versus a nice V6 that I can fill up in 3 minutes makes a difference. Plus, I would prefer something larger than m3. I like m3 but to compete effectively it needs to be $35k or even more like $30k for such a small car. This is just my opinion as a non die hard.

Wouldn't be surprised since the cars are probably equipped with the new AP chip. Don't know why delayed AP activation would be a big deal, though. I wouldn't mind a few weeks delay considering the potential of the new hardware.

I understand they can't invoice AP also, so every car is less €5000 in revenue, until problem is resolved. But can somebody confirm if it is correct information?

• Informative
Reactions: Smokey4141
Personally as a non EV lover (thiuhf I own stock and like the concept of Tesla.) I find it hard to justify purchase of a Tesla when I can get a brand new full size 4x4 truck for less which can tow 10,000 lbs. Or a completely tricked out larger sedan like a Nissan Maxima. A compelling electric drivetrain versus a nice V6 that I can fill up in 3 minutes makes a difference. Plus, I would prefer something larger than m3. I like m3 but to compete effectively it needs to be $35k or even more like $30k for such a small car. This is just my opinion as a non die hard.
I fully agree with this sentiment. I never understood how anyone can have such hardcore cult love for Tesla cars when ICE cars are becoming more efficient and cheaper.

So I bought a Tesla because I wanted to hedge against the end of civilization. Other people build bunkers and stock up weapons, I went with solar and full sustainabilty.

After 5 months of ownership, I can say that Teslas as Joe Rogan puts it..makes other cars seem stupid. Its really hard to wrap your head around how a startup managed to nail the drivability of a car so well, surpassing a hundred years of refinement in one go. So I urge you to go for a test drive in the 3. You'll find yourself doubling your Tesla stocks during the test drive in traffic.

Last edited:
Perfectly reasonable. Your needs are outside the realm of what Tesla or any other EV on the market right now can address. Nothing wrong with that. Hence your V6 pickup is not in competition with Tesla.

Dan