Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And they know the demands are there, and since it shares most resources with Model 3, they don’t have to announce the base price to gauge/pump up demand.
So, just announce signature series and take orders at high premium over M3, don’t announce when base trim would be available and for how much. This way there is no danger of deferring Model 3 orders.

And media goes nuts for lack if details allowing FUD to carry on. If you can’t see the headlines...

Don’t be confused, though, I don’t care what Tesla does as long as they keep making EVs as fast as they can.

Reactions: SPadival
Well, me too (technically). But if we can’t have fun with this stuff, we shouldn’t be doing it.

There are ambulance-chasers out there trying to scam money out of Tesla for the missed production guidance. Given that this thread is likely the most valuable and read page on Tesla investing, I don't think it's very smart to even make such a joke. Although maybe that was your intention?

Well, that's just shifting the definition of FSD to non-autonomous driving. I obviously that Tesla is testing non-autonomous driving. Tesla however is not testing autonomous driving in California if the disengagement report briefly visible was correct and submitted lawfully.

FSD is just a name for an umbrella package of different software from Tesla, it includes separate software packages for extra Autopilot functionality and hopefully eventually fully autonomous driving capability. We know new FSD specific Autopilot features are currently being tested in California, even by Elon himself.

When the first FSD specific Autopilot features are rolled out (likely in 2-6 months) I think it would be best if Tesla rebrands FSD to Advanced or Premium Autopilot to reduce confusion. This premium Autopilot package would come with a free download of the FSD software if and when the software is developed and achieves regulatory approval.

Tesla is developing self driving cars via incremental addition of new Autopilot driving scenarios and capabilities and incremental improvement of error rates. Whether new Autopilot features are available under EAP or Premium EAP is just an arbitrary financial decision by Tesla, and shouldn't have any different regulatory treatment.

Tesla will likely aim to have Autopilot features to cover all driving scenarios before gradually improving error rates using fleet data. I expect after a certain error threshold is crossed they will start testing software for full autonomy (likely no change to the actual driving software, just a change to the nag/driver legal responsibility), this will require relabelling their vehicles as Level 3/4/5 enabled and then they will then have to start reporting testing miles to California.

Of course, it is possible that before then California changes its reporting requirement and requires Tesla to start reporting miles driven by every single customer using Autopilot in California.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
1. Rural America, where book stores are a hundred miles or more away, now have access to every book urban areas have. Plus just about every other consumer product.

Of course there are a lot of upsides. But Bezos himself said that he choose books first because it was the easiest item to store and transport: this way, he started gathering data about customers.
I dislike Amazon's way of dumping all markets they get in (basically, everyone), starving any other player and managing to be the last guy standing. They want to be a universal monopsony: be the only customer in the world, buying from every producer and then reselling to every customer. Their market, their prices, their margins, their workers' rights. I just think that is a scary world to live in.

For thinkers only :)
ValueAnalyst‏ @ValueAnalyst1
In 2019, $TSLA has so far underperformed NASDAQ by 20 percent:

DzSxL7uX0AALDKp.jpg

ValueAnalyst on Twitter
6:46 AM - 13 Feb 2019

• Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
Probably the most concerning thing about the share price right now is that the Nasdaq is back within 10% of it's all time high.......and I doubt it get there before we see another macro market pullback. If that happens I expect tesla to be manipulated back into the 280-290 range. It already looks like its trending towards that.

How bizarre is it that a company that is growing 50% organically year on year with profit and large cash flow is trading below 2X annual revenue run rate????;

Probably the most concerning thing about the share price right now is that the Nasdaq is back within 10% of it's all time high.......and I doubt it get there before we see another macro market pullback. If that happens I expect tesla to be manipulated back into the 280-290 range. It already looks like its trending towards that.

How bizarre is it that a company that is growing 50% organically year on year with profit and large cash flow is trading below 2X annual revenue run rate????;
If Elon says there’s a production S-curve, why is it inconceivable that there’s a demand S-curve (reversed) also?

MMD huge sell spike at open. So damn predictable. Such an ugly game. I think the bigger shorts are right there: Goldman Sachs, JPM, UBS, Bank of America. Elon is very wise to avoid them and their pressure for capital raises. WTH, with invisible naked shorting causing “infinite dilution” backed by nearly endless fossil fuel money deployed daily in the interest of protecting their future power and profit at the expense of all of our lives! The SEC currently, under Trump is absolutely corrupted, does not defend the interests of investors or the integrity of the capitol markets, instead siding firmly with the dark money through the above mentioned institutions because their largest clients and much of their asset base is in large part derived from fossil fuel interests and their banking and media collaborators.

If Elon says there’s a production S-curve, why is it inconceivable that there’s a demand S-curve (reversed) also?

How exactly do you hit a demand curve when you're not even selling all your models in the markets your in yet, or selling any Model 3s in a number of the markets you're already operating in, or selling anything at all in a number of markets you took reservations from, let alone introducing newer, lower cost models as you keep increasing production efficiencies every quarter, let alone introducing leasing, let alone advertising?

You guys have gone with the "demand curve" argument for every single Model Tesla has put out, and been wrong every time. Has it never occurred to you that it's flawed? Hints:

* The EV market itself grows dramatically every year.
* Many people wait to buy a given vehicle until it's 1-2 model years old.
* Word of mouth is a huge aspect to selling vehicles; many people buy cars because their friend/family member/coworker had one and they loved it. The more that are out there, the more this occurs.
* Tesla vehicles have the highest brand loyalty on the market. E.g. once someone buys one, their future vehicles also tend to be Teslas.
* Believe it or not, Tesla's estimates of global market demand, historically, have been underestimates.

Seriously, just as an example: it's ridiculous that shorts have gone so far as to convince themselves that there's "no demand in China", a country of 1,4 billion people where 8% of all new cars (and rising incredibly fast) are electric, while the total car market itself grows rapidly.

Last edited:
MMD huge sell spike at open. So damn predictable. Such an ugly game. I think the bigger shorts are right there: Goldman Sachs, JPM, UBS, Bank of America. Elon is very wise to avoid them and their pressure for capital raises. WTH, with invisible naked shorting causing “infinite dilution” backed by nearly endless fossil fuel money deployed daily in the interest of protecting their future power and profit at the expense of all of our lives! The SEC currently, under Trump is absolutely corrupted, does not defend the interests of investors or the integrity of the capitol markets, instead siding firmly with the dark money through the above mentioned institutions because their largest clients and much of their asset base is in large part derived from fossil fuel interests and their banking and media collaborators.
Yes, it’s all an evil conspiracy. :)