Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's like saying when someone goes on vacation "they failed to be present at the office".

Either deliberately or because of ignorance, many of them don't consider seasonality. EV market has very high seasonality. Q1 is much lower than Q4 - so the comparison should be Year over Year - rather than previous quarter.

There needs to be some comparison quarter to quarter, because in 2018Q1 Tesla was struggling to produce the Model 3, and now it's able to produce thousands per week. Year-on-year, better than a really bad month doesn't say that it's a good month.

We don't fully know what the _natural_ seasonality of US BEV sales will be, because Tesla is the first company to go over the first tax credit cliff, and most BEVs are compliance cars where incentives are loaded on towards the end of the year when companies know what credits they need. So, demand will have been brought forward, it will be negatively impacted by the reduction in tax credits, and some remaining demand may be moved to 2019Q2.

But given that Tesla is producing for Europe (non-RHD) and China, the drop to the "poor" 6k in January doesn't really say much except that Tesla needs to lower costs and release the SR, which we already know. So far, it's only lowered pricing via moving/removing non-production costs (Supercharger, referral program). That might simply be protecting margin, or because it can't lower production costs enough yet.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
OT

While I'm sure there are some people who like gawking at train wrecks, I never understood the fascination.

As of late, this thread has more than its fair share of arguments which undermine the usefulness of the generally great sharing of information most participants here adhere to.

These constant "I'm right, you're wrong!" or "taste great, less filling!" and "I feel slighted, and will argue the point until the cows come home!" posts are detrimental. I can't imagine they're welcomed by many here. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

I’ll only sell my core shares if Ellison leaves. That would signal something very wrong.

Urgh, don't say that. I was just thinking what would happen and how much negative stuff would be banded around if that happened. I think I literally had a nightmare about that last night or was certainly thinking about it in bed. Yeah, I should spend less time on this forum. :D

Check again :D

JlfIeAF.png
Oops. Thank you for that correction. I was thinking that going from 2mil to the current level was a massive increase. My apologies.

I believe Bonnie has developed a personal relationship with Dana which skews her vision.

Exactly, there is a clear change in her reporting, that's a problem. I don't care why it happened, just that she allowed it to happen.
When you can tell your boss at a huge multinational to bugger off, let me know. She’s under pressure to write according to her editors demands. Likely under pressure to fish for information online. If you have insight into port 80, like just happened, you can help her write positive stories. Sometimes it’s better to help someone be better then to damn them for their faults.

[/QUOTE]
You know what I hate about this list (and have shared with Clean Technica)? If you pick any news topic ... Tesla, government, whatever, there is going to be good news and negative news. If a reporter is dinged for writing a factual story about a bad event, this type of measure would rate them as negative. In this political climate, it's dangerous to approach things this way.

That's different than fluff pieces vs. negatively biased. I know a lot of people don't see the difference, but you can't measure if a news org is biased or not using this method. It leads to some very bad behavior.

It’s funny, now the mainstream argument against Tesla is that they aren’t growing capex so they are not a growth company and so Tesla way over valued and the stock is set to drop, etc...

Tesla seems to be attacked no matter how the business develops.

What this is an indicator of is a broad attack, a war posture on the company as a threat to vested interests. It is actually a destroy and take over, since the company is extremely valuable just not under Elon and friends ownership.

In such an environment, there is actually nothing the “financial news” prints/broadcasts that isn’t directed toward this aim.

We must thus take note of how this “financial news” monopoly angles its argument to achieve the objective.

Media talking points:
“Changing out the board” (which would put anti musk and friends in positions of power to disrupt control and direction)

“Musk is unfit to serve as ceo or board. He’s crazy, he’s not healthy, he’s unstable, he’s a twitter risk, he smoked pot.” (again, take control away)

“Can’t pay off debt, must raise capital” (big capital will constrain Tesla further through harsh contractual cost)

“Can’t grow without outside capital, established ice competition will outpace in Evs. Tesla killers are here.” (again, set up for stock to fall, force poor conditions for Tesla to ask for money from Wall Street)

“Drastic stock drops means Tesla in trouble” (manipulation of daily trade, to keep retail investors away as well as institutions away who only read mainstream financial news headlines and are scared away)

“Anyone leaving Tesla means the company is in trouble” ( scare away investors, make stock go down, make capital raises hard to get on favorable conditions)

“Tesla fires, autopilot fatalities, no demand, unsustainable sales, Tesla peaked sales” (all meant to drop the stock, make it hard to raise capital on favorable conditions, take control away from elon&crew)

Even positive headlines create clicks on degrading/negative content. (Such as headline saying Tesla has moat around supercharging, but taking about how tesla faces “Tesla killing” competition, executives leaving, and anything Elon has ever said twitter).

The truth is that most of the core buyers/stock owners have followed Elon since the beginning and know he’s been true to the mission of Tesla from day one.

We also can research ourselves and see all the content of Elon and Tesla directly.

The mainstream finacial news cartel doesn’t understand that they are 10 years too late. The base has been established and word of mouth and actual customer satisfaction is beyond the critical mass point. They don’t have the trustability power to slow the momentum now. Even with Tesla stores being illegal in some states, people are willing to drive hours to buy and still make the model 3 the biggest car by revenue in sales and in just 1 full year on the market.

No matter how many analyst pound their fists on CNBC desks or how many negative headlines continuously scrolling on the Apple stock app, this electric hyperloop will not be stopped.

And they know it too. Desperation only makes it worse.