Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numbers I find say the US still imports 25% of the Oil that we use.
Looks to be more like 40%, taking Net Imports (1.1 of 2.6 mcm / day).

1280px-US_Crude_Oil_Production_and_Imports.svg.png

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Here in the USA many of us owners volunteered to help with delivery. I bet there would be some USA owners willing to do a shift in Europe. Nice idea but I hate flying these days and CO2 created by flying is off the charts!

Is it possible the local Tesla owners will visit the Service Centers to assist in the delivery processes again? This might free up a few resources that are in high demand during the temporary efforts.

I volunteered when I visited my Service Centre last week, but they said they were all prepared and good. We only have five SC in France, and the others are too far away from us.

So there is this from yesterday:
Tesla’s latest challenge is finding new customers for the Model 3

My reading of the narrative:
1. Quoting Elon from earnings call out of context to say that there is no demand for the M3 because no one can afford it.
2. This is even after price cuts and its getting worse because tax benefit going away, so no way to sell M3 until $35k version and they can’t make money on that one.
3. Low sales figures in January and layoffs in delivery will make that worse (quoting and mis-reading the InsideEV article and the earnings call info)
4. Idea that China and Europe could save him from the above crisis is dubious because he said addition of those markets would bring the total to 800k vehicles per year, of course taking his sunny future forecast to be the requirement to save the day right now.
5. He can’t make 800k vehicles per year without the China gigafactory, so omg can’t get out of the current mess until that happens, he is doomed, he can only make 300k vehicles or so per year in Fremont.
6. Tesla won’t release data on remaining reservations, so there are probably very few left, and those folks won’t buy anyway until that $35k version arrives.
7. China car sales seeing first decline in decades, sourced from Reuters. This could be the only factual info in this article.

Worse part is misquoting Elon out of context in earnings call, to imply he said there is no US demand because no one can afford the car. Good grief.

Last edited:
Good point.

Numbers I find say the US still imports 25% of the Oil that we use. So ICE cars are still burning 25% foreign oil, whereas BEVs are using almost 100% domestically-produced energy. About 1% of domestic electricity production comes from petroleum, so you could argue that 25% of that is from imported oil. So a BEV uses 99.75% domestically produced energy, vs 75% for an ICE car. (Ignoring differences in efficiency of energy use between BEV and ICE for now)

Here is my source for oil usage and imports, has a nice pie chart:
Oil Imports and Exports - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

And here is a page providing electricity generation source breakdown, ie the 1% from petroleum number:
Electricity in the United States - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

Don’t forget that the Middle East also owns the largest refinery in the US. So even if the oil is from the US, there is a possibility that the Saudis will make money from the refinement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Here in the USA many of us owners volunteered to help with delivery. I bet there would be some USA owners willing to do a shift in Europe. Nice idea but I hate flying these days and CO2 created by flying is off the charts!

Also the official language in European countries isn't english except in the UK. And even though many people do speak english, a lot don't so... it's a little bit tricky :D

Reactions: CatB
The bear PR machine is very active.

I watch almost daily this stats page about Twitter user, and EM account is growing faster by the day:
elonmusk Monthly Twitter Statistics (Social Blade Twitter Statistics) - SocialBlade.com

He has more followers than BBC, and next one will be @POTUS (he's 72, click the button at the bottom to see more accounts):
Find out who's not following you back on Twitter, Tumblr, & Pinterest.

Having said this, I think Tesla could easily step up his own PR machine, and Musk could retweet constantly that account. I feel they are already doing more than few months ago.
If Gemmingen reaches 1'000'000 km that would be a hell of a interview/video, for example.

Don’t forget that the Middle East also owns the largest refinery in the US.

I don’t see how that is relevant to any meaningful measure of local vs imported energy. Especially I don’t see how it relates to a discussion of the difference between BEV and ICE vehicles with respect to domestic vs imported energy usage, which was the original topic, especially the abundant misunderstandings about that.

Perhaps you believe that when calculating levels US energy independence, ie percentage of locally-produced energy, we should reduce the energy counted as local by multiplying total by percentage of local vs foreign investment in the facility? I would not agree.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
I don’t see how that is relevant to any meaningful measure of local vs imported energy. Especially I don’t see how it relates to a discussion of the difference between BEV and ICE vehicles with respect to domestic vs imported energy usage, which was the original topic, especially the abundant misunderstandings about that.

Perhaps you believe that when calculating levels US energy independence, ie percentage of locally-produced energy, we should reduce the energy counted as local by multiplying total by percentage of local vs foreign investment in the facility? I would not agree.

It’s all about where the money flows, not where the oil is extracted. If the oil was imported from Saudi Arabia and the money from that oil purchase funneled back to the US, most people wouldn’t care that it was imported.

The point I was making is that even when oil IS produced in the us, there is a large chunk of money that STILL goes to the Middle East. Hence ICE owners stating that “their gas was produced here instead of the Middle East” is true but ultimately doesn’t matter. It’s where the money goes... that matters. So EVs are better than gas cars in this regard as well.

Last edited:
It’s all about where the money flows, not where the oil is extracted. If the oil was imported from Saudi Arabia and the money from that oil purchase funneled back to the US, most people wouldn’t care that it was imported.

The point I was making is that even when oil IS produced in the us, there is a large chunk of money that STILL goes to the Middle East.
We need to get off fools oil period.

The point I was making is that even when oil IS produced in the us, there is a large chunk of money that STILL goes to the Middle East.

So then you are not talking about energy independence, pertaining to BEV vs ICE, a relevant topic for Tesla investors, but instead financial independence of energy producers from foreign investment, where the profits go, etc, interesting topic but likely not relevant to this forum.

So then you are not talking about energy independence, pertaining to BEV vs ICE, a relevant topic for Tesla investors, but instead financial independence of energy producers from foreign investment, where the profits go, etc, interesting topic but likely not relevant to this forum.

I am talking about the money flowing overseas to terrorist supporting nations. Americans should (and probably do) care more about that than the fallacy of “oil energy independence”. The Middle East is still making vasts amounts of money from our “independence”.

I expect the problem with your graphic may be that “Production” is not reduced by “Exported”.

View attachment 377929

And a pie chart of the above:
View attachment 377930

And again the page with all this cool stuff:
Oil Imports and Exports - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

And even when produced in the US, terrorist supporting nations are STILL likely to make money from it.

Saudis take 100% control of America's largest oil refinery

I am talking about the money flowing overseas to terrorist supporting nations. Americans should (and probably do) care more about that than the fallacy of “oil energy independence”. The Middle East is still making vasts amounts of money from our “independence”.
Lately practically all acts of terrorism in the USA have been perpetrated by Americans (mass shootings etc.). So the money from domestic oil production is flowing to a terrorist supporting nation. The current regime in that nation appears to be supporting these actions.
Question: Judging by the effects, is burning fossil fuels an act of terrorism?
p.s. Listen to Greta Thunberg.