Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2170 is simply a cylindrical cell form factor: 21 mm x 70 mm.

Maxwell's technology is a new manufacturing process, which can be used with any form factor.

I'd expect Maxwell's technology to be used with 2170 cells, as there's very little reason for Tesla to introduce yet another cylindrical cell form factor.
I wonder if they might introduce the Maxwell tech in 18650 form for the S and X first. Nice range boost for the high end models, fewer vehicles if issues arise in early production.

I wonder if they might introduce the Maxwell tech in 18650 form for the S and X first. Nice range boost for the high end models, fewer vehicles if issues arise in early production.
Unless Tesla has been working with Maxwell for a long time and has working cells already, it will take quite a bit of time to bring in an entirely new battery technology. Couple of year, atleast ?

Unless Tesla has been working with Maxwell for a long time and has working cells already, it will take quite a bit of time to bring in an entirely new battery technology. Couple of year, atleast ?

The overall chemistry can be the same, and Tesla has been working with Jeff Dahn on rapid cell longevity testing. So it could happen quickly (especially if Tesla was working with Maxwell before this recent announcement). Equipment might be the timing constraint, but they have Grohmann for that...

Oh, I found random minor / obscure groups on Slacker, usually with a handful of songs. But with Spotify I'm finding almost all, even when I go really obscure! I know, I know, not an issue for your average person who listens to Beyonce and so forth, but if you're the sort of person who listens to, say, breathy Faroese electronica or Greenlandic pop or or whatnot.... Slacker is seriously lacking.
Iceland has it's own music genres? Who knew? I'd like to hear some of that.

Dan

Can’t believe no one’s talking about this yet.

Tesla removed mentioning of SR Model 3 from website and designer.

Any take on what’s happening?

Combined with the news of big batch of rwd VIN registration days ago. I am betting some big news coming.
But I really have no idea what it would be. Even if the are going to release software limited MR as SR, it doesn’t make sense to remove it from website. Maybe this is related to Elon mentioning they “have to make MR available to EU”.

Edit: SR still mentioned in Chinese site, maybe just a delay of updating, or, maybe, just maybe, SR is going to be GF3 exclusive hence Greater China only for a while?

I'd guess Tesla has binned the previous version of the SR 3 for one that goes at least 240 miles. I think there was a rumor from an employee that this was the new goal. Makes sense when you look at the Bolt and Korean offerings. All are around 240 miles at $35k. Tesla doesn't like to be viewed as inferior in any way.

Can’t believe no one’s talking about this yet.

Tesla removed mentioning of SR Model 3 from website and designer.

Any take on what’s happening?

Combined with the news of big batch of rwd VIN registration days ago. I am betting some big news coming.
But I really have no idea what it would be. Even if the are going to release software limited MR as SR, it doesn’t make sense to remove it from website. Maybe this is related to Elon mentioning they “have to make MR available to EU”.

Edit: SR still mentioned in Chinese site, maybe just a delay of updating, or, maybe, just maybe, SR is going to be GF3 exclusive hence Greater China only for a while?

Let's consider the possibility of the short range Model 3 being kept on hold, perhaps permanently. Meanwhile more expensive versions can still be sold to match the current production capabilities. Removing the timetable for the short range version may inspire some reservation holders to opt for what is currently available. Eventually production costs could lower to the point that even a stripped down long range version can be sold for $35,000.

We’re supposed to soon be learning more about production plans for the Model Y and Semi-Truck. But I wouldn’t be surprised if consumer demand and competitors' plans force an earlier introduction of a Tesla Pickup Truck. From the perspective of a shareholder, emphasis on higher margin vehicles makes sense for now.

Last edited:
A modest proposal for GF4. I've been thinking about whether to post this for several days.

I think GF4 should be built in partnership with a major German OEM. My choice would be MB. Tesla is already talking with them about electrifying their Sprinter Van.

Advantages for MB:
  • Guaranteed access to batteries for future products
  • Proven battery technology
  • Cost saving of not having to do R&D for MB's stand-alone EV products
  • MB could have a line of EVs beginning as soon as two+ years out
  • The two years could be used to develop/retrofit a factory for final assembly of their EVs.
  • Access to Maxwell technology if it proves out
  • Access to best and proven BMS
  • Access to best and proven motor design
  • Quickest way to develop a full line of premium EV's
  • MB leapfrogs VW, Porsche, Audi, and BMW as a leader in premium EV's (They can all rot in hell.)
Advantages for Tesla:
  • Major PR coup for Tesla. Fights the FUD that Tesla is just a niche company and that EV's will never really become mainstream.
  • Shared cost of facility
  • Revenue from MB's use of Tesla technology
  • Better working relationship with regulators/government assuming location is Germany
  • Moving forward with mission
  • Quicker implementation
I would see the facility producing batteries and battery packs for both companies possibly teamed with Panasonic. Production of drivetrains could be shared but to differing specs depending on final vehicle. Tesla would assemble final vehicles at the facility, but MB would do final assembly at a nearby facility.

Sounds crazy?

To me, the main reasons why GF4 will be in Germany. 1) Access to very high quality talent pool of engineers. 2) Grohmann. Tesla is really a sum of its parts and one of its biggest parts lately has been Grohmann's ability to help improve battery manufacturing. Along with Perbix. lets not forget them, but they are US based.

There are lots of other benefits but I think those 2 are what will win the day for GF4. I would expect to hear very soon as it will take much longer to get through all the bureaucracy.

Because Tesla is so focused on automation and the machine that builds the machine, Engineers are more important than cheap labor or selling more cars in a particular country because you have a factory there. A lot of things will be invented in GF4 like they are in GF1. Its also very centralized and the biggest economy in Europe by far.

Didn't they decreased the use of cobalt in 2070? Does it mean the chemistry of 18650 was updated to match the one in 2170, or what?
Of course they did, and the 18650 at the same time. Ask yourself why they would change the recipe for one cake and not the other? The chemistry is Telsa's IP. Panasonic is just their manufacturor.

The level of magical thinking surrounding the 2170 cell boggles the mind. It's just a can.

Surprised no one's mentioned Hondas' departure from the UK. NOT Brexit related ( apparently) the BBC are devastated :) oh and the loyal work force are unhappy it has to be said. 2 down 1 to go? Of course they JAPS don't need the uk "aircraft carrier" any more now they have carte Blanche from the Eu. To be fair they are just looking after their own-- carn't blame ' em.

Man, I'm still so thrilled with the EU getting Spotify rather than Slacker. I've been sitting here trying to stump it with obscure Icelandic band after obscure Icelandic band, and only succeeded once (Wesen, the short-lived side project between Júlía from Oyama and Loji from the defunct Sudden Weather Change). I mean, they even have asdfhg. - a band literally named by mashing keys on a keyboard.

I wonder if the US will be lucky enough to get Spotify at some point? Or maybe there was some sort of licensing problem?

Europe has had Spotify for years while we here in the states are stuck with Slacker (gag). I have never heard any reasoning for why this is the case. My assumption is some sort of agreement signed with Slacker early on. But either way, here in the states we have been begging for Spotify access to no avail.

Speculation time ;)

In Maxwell's presentation on their technology and it's breakthrough, the mention that they had to been working with a un-named partner over the past year on the tech. If that partner was Tesla, maybe Tesla was validating the technology and manufacturing claims/goals and now that hey did validate the tech, they decided to buy Maxwell outright. In that scenario, I could see them being to implement tech by the end of 2019/early 2020.

Last edited:
I want my vegan burger to taste as a vegetable... not as meat.

OT

Same. It's weird when meat-eaters learn that I'm vegetarian and cook the most meat-like thing they can find, thinking I'll love it. And then get confused if I don't eat much or any of it (I try to be polite and not offend them).

To meat eaters serving food to someone who is a vegetarian for moral reasons: picture a world where almost everyone but you ate human babies. Loved them. Ate them all the time. You politely turn down the baby meat every time. Occasionally people crack jokes at your expense, but most people just accept your "unusual" baby-free diet. But trying to be nice because you're "missing out" on baby meat, they try to fix you non-baby-based substitutes that look and taste as much like the baby meat they're eating as possible.

What would you think about that? How would you react? There's no moral issue - it's not made of babies. But it'd still pretty bloody disgusting just looking at such a thing or making yourself put it in your mouth.

Just an FYI. :) Note that not all vegetarians are vegetarian for moral reasons, and different people may differ on different things.

The overall chemistry can be the same, and Tesla has been working with Jeff Dahn on rapid cell longevity testing. So it could happen quickly (especially if Tesla was working with Maxwell before this recent announcement). Equipment might be the timing constraint, but they have Grohmann for that...

Arn’t we talking about the Panasonic domain here? How long it takes will depend on how different mechanically it is for Panasonic to incorporate the dry process, starting with one test line. Grohmann/Tesla get hands-on post cell.

Which raises the question of who make the savings? Tesla or Panasonic? Some heavy boardroom discussions involved is my guess, given Tesla, not Panasonic, will own the Maxwell IP.

I recall huge drying ovens from the tour videos which I thought held cells and belonged to Tesla. Are there two drying phases eliminated, one pre and one post cell?

Reactions: transpondster