Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol they chose the period of July to Sept 2018!? The specifically targeted that time period because they knew that's when the initial ramp was happening and would likely have the most issues. I'm sure they were paid behind the scenes to conduct the survey during that time period. They knew if they did it from Oct to Dec 2018, the results would have been much different.

Looking for a silver lining here...

The CR news is pretty good as far as FUD goes. It was real. It doesn't look that biased - BMW and VW also affected. It directly hits core Tesla investment thesis. This is not some guy leaving that never touched a car or something made fabricated regarding demand. Don't get me wrong - I'm not worried about it.

The good news - only 2% down. This could have been 5 or 8%, 6 months ago. Shorts truly are losing their special powers.

I'll be able to buy shares on the 28th of Feb, so I'm hoping to add before any rise in share price before the bond payment is made. I'll then have more funds on April 1st to buy more if the stock price is still around the 290-315 share price.

Shall we wait for you at these levels until 2023, so you can buy even more?

Does the survey actually says its for CR? Or do they use third party survey companies? I ask because since purchasing my Model S (July 2018), I have received about 6 surveys that I have completed. 2 were those 25 page fill in the bubble kind, the rest were online. All were legit companies, but none said Consumer Reports. One of them was for JD Power. Ive gotten surveys in the past with other car purchases, but never this many.

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and have for years, on line. I often read their reviews before going shopping. I do the annual surveys they request on-line. My responses has always been highly favorable for my 2016 MS (as well as my wife's Subaru). They do not use third partys for their surveys. Since they do not accept advertising, their opinions are mostly unbiased. I always take their recommendations with a grain of salt because the items they consider most important are not necessarily the same as mine. I remember when they first reviewed the MS and gave it a score of 103 out of a possible 100. They have since had to change their rating process.

I also remember when they first tested the M3 and could not recommend it because of a breaking issue. Tesla was not aware of the issue but was able to reproduce it and was able to upgrade the software over a weekend. CR then changed their recommendation.

I think is is probably accurate that many of the issues identified have been corrected. I guess it is also possible that some people are submitted FUD information to CR in their surveys, but I think you have to be a subscriber to get the questionnaire. You do then identify things that you own and that you are willing to answer questions about. The next year they remember what items you reviewed and ask if you are willing to update information on those product.

Good point! How 'bout "buy button pushing finger happy". :)

BTW, you mis quoted @SpudLime as that was my post, not the Spudsters. ;)

tenor.gif

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and have for years, on line. I often read their reviews before going shopping. I do the annual surveys they request on-line. My responses has always been highly favorable for my 2016 MS (as well as my wife's Subaru). They do not use third partys for their surveys. Since they do not accept advertising, their opinions are mostly unbiased. I always take their recommendations with a grain of salt because the items they consider most important are not necessarily the same as mine. I remember when they first reviewed the MS and gave it a score of 103 out of a possible 100. They have since had to change their rating process.

I also remember when they first tested the M3 and could not recommend it because of a breaking issue. Tesla was not aware of the issue but was able to reproduce it and was able to upgrade the software over a weekend. CR then changed their recommendation.

I think is is probably accurate that many of the issues identified have been corrected. I guess it is also possible that some people are submitted FUD information to CR in their surveys, but I think you have to be a subscriber to get the questionnaire. You do then identify things that you own and that you are willing to answer questions about. The next year they remember what items you reviewed and ask if you are willing to update information on those product.

Indeed. I factored CR ratings when making decisions on a number of products related to having a child a few years back. I don't take their word as gospel, but a useful data point. (It's hard to trust any reviews online these days, in my opinion.)

And let's not turn a blind eye to the fact that there were issues with Model 3s. The car wasn't, and isn't, perfect. I think folks would be silly to turn one down if they're in the market, though.

All that to say, I'm not in a rush to tear down CR over this. I do, however, think they're wrong to not recommend the car.

Does anyone buy a Tesla based on a CR recommendation? I have checked their reviews in the past but they aren't experts especially regarding EVs. I refused to renew my subscription last month because they have a strong preference for non-cutting edge tech. So yes a Kia or a Ford won't present problems like a Tesla will, but my Tesla will be on the road for decades, not junked in a few years like the Kia or Ford.

CR is generally a solid resource. They are better on older cars that have some miles on them when speaking of reliability. New models can have a few early failures that are particularly annoying to new buyers so they can flash on the surveys. The question is how the producer responds to the problem. Tesla has an opportunity here to contact these people (many at least) with a human being call and followup on their current satisfaction level. Then send them a gift in consideration of their inconvenience. Tesla can improve in this area IMO. It would be great to have some engineers make some calls. Elon should make some calls! There is an opportunity to improve relations with CR and an opportunity to generate some good press.

At the same time, now is a good time to dump out any other news that is not uplifting. Just let it rain a little while it is already cloudy then announce some good stuff.

CR is a big deal IMO. Keeping them amazed and happy sells a lot of cars IMO - they should love Dog Mode for instance. The news here is that a car that is number one in satisfaction has some quality issues at the same time. TSLA just needs to craft a response that makes improvements in quality the BIG story. Time for an interview or ride-along with a Tesla Ranger perhaps because there are surely going to be some stories on disgruntled owners as I see it.

Does anyone buy a Tesla based on a CR recommendation? I have checked their reviews in the past but they aren't experts especially regarding EVs. I refused to renew my subscription last month because they have a strong preference for non-cutting edge tech. So yes a Kia or a Ford won't present problems like a Tesla will, but my Tesla will be on the road for decades, not junked in a few years like the Kia or Ford.
I had a CR subscription, I found it completely worthless. Whenever I was in the market for something, they never had data on it, but maybe that's tied to me liking things like induction ranges and ventless dryers as opposed to more mainstream styled appliances like they review. I didn't even remotely consider CR when I placed the order for my Model 3 yesterday, only months and months of research online.

CR first rating for the MS certainly helped me decide to buy a car with a new and "unproven" technology.

I didn't see people saying this when CR recommended the Model 3. How funny things change when someone doesn't like the results,

That the Model 3 is the most loved car by CR subscribers is a simple fact.

That CR 'unrecommends' the Model 3, based on problems whose "vast majority" Tesla says are already fixed, and which car owners are the most satisfied with despite teething problems of a brand new product, is breathtakingly bad logic by CR that should be called out...