Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In NIO's prospectus, they claim that their batteries are more efficient than Tesla's.

They also claim 3 OTHER Chinese car companies have more efficient cells than Tesla.

My guess is most people here will not agree, but I'd love to hear an honest discussion about this.

For years, Tesla has claimed the most efficient batteries, this seems to contradict that claim in a big way.View attachment 380686

Huh, comparing against model X? How about model 3?

If Elon is removed from CEO role, how much will that cut TSLA valuation? 20%, 50%, more?!

That might have been the reaction last year. Tesla itself was on shaky ground without the Q3 and Q4 financial results out. That is now not the case - Tesla is on much firmer ground now in 2019. Therefore, I don't think that is the reaction now.

One can argue that all the possible outcomes of this fight are now positives for TSLA:
1) Musk is muzzled on social media wrt to Tesla/TSLA - investors cheer
2) Musk steps back from CEO role and takes up chief product strategist or something like that - investors cheer
3) Judge looks at the infraction and has stern words with Musk, but otherwise is too minor for more - investors cheer
4) Judge throws out the settlement, Musk goes to court over this. Again, Tesla is on much firmer ground now, the risk is merely that Musk is not in the foreground. But at ~20% ownership stake, Musk is always present. He can take the SEC to the mat over this issue and not have the stock freak out like it did last year. Remember, he wanted to fight this case last year. I think investors are not freaked out about it anymore.

Clearly, Musk not being chairman of the board or CEO does not mean Musk doesn't have significant influence over the company. One can argue that other management can be more effective than Musk in day to day ops for Tesla anyways. His role is more strategic and he can still do the things inside the company that he feels he needs to without any job title.

I hope this story gets plenty of press. Elon is the good guy fighting climate change, taking us to Mars, and posting memes. SEC/Wall Street/oil lobbyists are the bad guys. The public will side with Elon.

Yes the public should side with Elon. But how many will show up to SEC office with signs so that they will notice the pressure? I literally don't live in USA so whatever I do don't matter in those ppl's eyes. But if tsla is willing to move to tsx. I will pitchfork for Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yes the public should side with Elon. But how many will show up to SEC office with signs so that they will notice the pressure? I literally don't live in USA so whatever I do don't matter in those ppl's eyes. But if tsla is willing to move to tsx. I will pitchfork for Elon.

I'm serious about filing an amicus brief. Again, any lawyers here?

Huh, comparing against model X? How about model 3?

The prospectus was filed before the Model 3 entered China, at the time the Model X was the most comparable vehicle to theirs.

It still probably is, tbh. It's a SUV, and I believe all the others on their chart are too.

Regardless, I'm still concerned about the efficiency situation.

I was under the impression Tesla was way ahead of competition on batteries.

The prospectus was filed before the Model 3 entered China, at the time the Model X was the most comparable vehicle to theirs.

It still probably is, tbh. It's a SUV, and I believe all the others on their chart are too.

Regardless, I'm still concerned about the efficiency situation.

I was under the impression Tesla was way ahead of competition on batteries.

No need to believe any claim from Chinese corps until you have one of their cars in hand and measure it yourself.

Former SEC chair on CNBC is chilling. These guys want to "repress" Elon and his ability to speak freely. He says Elon does not behave like a "normal" CEO. These guys are truly 1984
And as others have pointed out already, the SEC has hurt shareholders more than the tweet from Elon, which did not move the share price materially.
CNBC - Former SEC commissioner weighs in on the SEC allegations against Elon Musk

I don't know any high-powered, creative lawyers, but there's definitely selective enforcement going on here; nobody likes that.

Any lawyers here? We could file an amicus brief as stockholders stating that the '500k' tweet was not material information and noting that the SEC's actions have been harming stockholders by distorting the public perception of the company. I think the judge would take notice.

You have to consider the horsepower and weight of the car also. A bike will obviously travel much farther with the same amount of battery capacity. It doesn't mean necessarily that the battery is more efficient

In NIO's prospectus, they claim that their batteries are more efficient than Tesla's.

They also claim 3 OTHER Chinese car companies have more efficient cells than Tesla.

My guess is most people here will not agree, but I'd love to hear an honest discussion about this.

For years, Tesla has claimed the most efficient batteries, this seems to contradict that claim in a big way.View attachment 380686

The table you posted shows electricity consumption. Electricity consumption is a function of vehicle weight, shape and motor efficiency. Not related to cells or cell chemistry. Just make a small car and it will have low consumption.

Completely ridiculous. The SEC just has their feelings hurt. 400k vehicles is "around" 500k. Please please tell me how the SEC is protecting my interests as a shareholder. :rolleyes:

I'm serious about filing an amicus brief. Again, any lawyers here?
I'd totally chip in on a go-fund me for this type of thing.

Elon is very much grateful to all the trust Retail investors gave him over the years. Many of those own a Tesla too.

A go private would mean for most of those they cannot stay invested which is in particular true for international ones.

Its unlikely that Elon is leaving those investor in a buy out situation where they cannot participate in a private Tesla any more. He confirmed after the last attempt that this has been a major issue for him and reason to abandon the plan as there was simply no solution. Lets not forget that he could have done it before as he is not short of funding interest.

Its hard to imagine that after all he turns around and is doing exactly what he called a major issue for retail investors before.

A good moment to roll this out once again (I'll milk it for ever!!)

upload_2019-2-26_16-43-1.png