Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just woke up and read everything:
I'm gonna sell a portion of my $TSLA shares because some things I don't like:
- no confirmation of the margin on SR
- layoffs (which could prove well for profits I admit) and closure of Tesla gallery's (which bulls always compared to Apple stores and gave nice exposure to the Tesla brand)
- no profits in Q1
- macro's climate: recession, car tarrifs
- SEC hearing in a few days

I just don't feel comfortable the next weeks. Sorry guys ;-)
Please sell them cheap. I am looking for a buying opportunity. (This is not advice)

Last edited:
Surely everyone had some expectation that the 3 would cannibalise the S & X by some degree

In most consumers minds there is little difference between the 3 and the S - they are both amazing Tesla 5 seater sedans, and now you can actually buy two entry level model 3 vehicles for the same price as a single entry level S.

Reactions: neroden
We know they just relieved a big bottleneck at the Gigafactory, but they must also have a plan for getting Fremont over 7K/week Model 3s if they're talking 350K-500K Model 3s in 2019.
There was a report by a pair of Analyst who toured the Fremont factory in August stating Tesla could get to 7 or 8 K /wk Model 3 production with "minimal capital" expense. They're just executing, but there's so much while noise around here that people forget important details.

You must not be from a cold climate. This is a common practice in northern US and quite safe. Many ppl take full size pick ups onto lakes in Minnesota etc.
Full sized pickups typically have more ground clearance than an X. (I wonder if they put the X in high or just left it at standard?)
Tesla 8", F150 9.4".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
I still maintain that the prices of the Model S/X performance shown on the website in foreign markets are a mistake. In the US, Ludicrous is a $15k option. In foreign markets the website still shows the old configurator and doesn't have that option. But the text description of the 'base performance' model lists ludicrous. And I think that;s the mistake right there : what you get for that price is without ludicrous.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
A bit old news at this point, (and sorry if this was already explored, I really can't keep up with this thread) but I just finished listening to the Tesla Daily podcast featuring the interview with Jake Fisher from Consumer Reports on the Model 3 reliability score, and found it quite enlightening, so I thought it might be beneficial to some of those who simply don't have the time.

TL:DR - The average reliability score for the Model 3 is not calculated as an average of the 17 different reliability categories, but rather it shows how this car compares to the reliability of all other 2018 models released by all other manufacturers.

Key takeaways:
  • The vast majority of newly-released cars (2018 models) will not experience any major issues, particularly in their first year on the roads, so the comparison becomes much more granular and things like faulty door handles or strange cabin sounds may result in a different classification
  • Jake was very careful to specify that a below-average reliability score does not mean the car is unreliable (meaning, it will break down and leave you stranded), but simply that on the scale of all other 2018 models it has on average more issues to be addressed than the median car; he agreed that this was not clear in their report and they will probably make changes in how they report these numbers in the future
  • the reliability score is calculated by using different weights for different items, for instance faulty trim is weighed much lower than drivetrain issues; he also mentioned that it showed them that the Model 3 has a lot of what one may call cosmetic issues (trim, misaligned body panels, paint, etc.) compared to the average, in order to get that 2/5 rating
  • As they only have data for a relatively short time span on new models, they use the reported issues to extrapolate on what is likely (and how likely it is) to go wrong in the next several years with those cars
  • Jake reported that Tesla has been in touch and not only acknowledged the reported issues but, refreshingly, already addressed most of them; CR plans to issue a refreshed report by the end of the year; Jake expects this new report will again add the Model 3 to their "recommended" list, which in turn will attract them a lot of hate mail from the shorts
  • Why the average of the 17 individual reliability categories is so different to the overall reliability score: the score for each category is determined by the percentage of reported occurrences of that fault compared to the number of cars for which they get feedback; a 4% fault rate (not sure if that's the actual value they employ) would attract a bad rating, but a 1% wouldn't, the car would get a green circle in that category; however, if most 2018 models only get around 0.2% faults for that issue, the car would stack up poorly in the overall rating; moreover, they only received feedback on about 500 cars, which they admit is a fairly small sample size
  • Many of the suggestions the podcast interviewer made on improving the way these numbers are reported made Jake Fisher think and admit they could improve or change how they do things, which tells me that, first, their models are somewhat brittle, and second, CR are really not used to so much granular analysis of their reports and the feedback they got on this particular report was a bit of a shock to them; they agreed to make some serious changes across the board on how they do the numbers
  • On the question of why the results of the report were disseminated ahead of time, allowing some parties to effectively trade on insider information, Jake was again surprised by how things played out, saying that they regularly send these reports to news organisations under an embargo to allow them to publish the news at the same time; they will talk to their legal team to see if that needs to change as well in the future.
The overall feeling I got is that the way the report was received was a shock to them, and they feel they were criticised unfairly. The press did run with the "below average" rating to claim that CR says the car is unreliable, which is not what they claimed, but it still attracted them a lot of hate from Model 3 owners and supporters of the company. They say they're only reporting the numbers they receive, but they will now try to provide more context in their reports and emphasise the individual issues they find rather than just giving an overall nondescript number rating.

The podcast is definitely worth a listen if you have the time, it runs at about 42 minutes.

Words matter. Journalists know this and CR needs to be clear on what they mean in the future. There is a big difference between “below average compared to other 2018 models in certain categories” vs “unreliable”.

Hey, ask the 2012-2013 Model S owners about what happened to our resale value with (a) the center console, (b) the facelift, (c) Autopilot, (d) Autopilot 2... it's pretty predictable.

Tesla used prices hold up very very well until there's an upgrade to the new cars or a price cut on the new cars and then bong, they drop suddenly.
Yowch! I'm not really aware of Tesla pricing history -- I'm pretty late to the game -- but just on the principle of it moves fast I always knew this was a possibility. Due to my familiarity with early computers I liken the situation to that. For a while there what you bought felt outdated in a week and was outdated in six months. But if you held out you were going to keep waiting, waiting, waiting. Because progress wasn't waiting.

I never regretted having the car sooner. I hate driving gas cars.
For sure! Driving again last night reminded me how glad I am to have my Tesla. Anyone wanting these new prices will have to wait a bit longer to actually drive one. My M3 is my daily driver and family road tripper -- very glad to have it.

The price for a M3 LRD in France has come down 5300 EUR. I placed an order in December, but haven't received a final invoice/VIN/delivery date yet. It will be interesting to see the amount on the final invoice.

(Prices include VAT @ 20% and a 6000 EUR Eco bonus)

Order agreement:
Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 10.23.10.png

Configuration as per today:
Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 10.27.06.png

The price for a M3 LRD in France has come down 5300 EUR. I placed an order in December, but haven't received a final invoice/VIN/delivery date yet. It will be interesting to see the amount on the final invoice.

(Prices include VAT @ 20% and a 6000 EUR Eco bonus)

Order agreement:
View attachment 381847
Configuration as per today:
View attachment 381848
I picked up mine on Wednesday and as much as I love the car is a bit frustrating.
Don’t get me wrong, I know the game and not complaining. Just seems a bit messed up that only 1 week after starting deliveries in Europe the price goes down.

Edit: technically still estimating delivery by end of March (as for all those who just got their car “a bit early”).

Last edited:
Reactions: bdy0627
I picked up mine on Wednesday and as much as I love the car is a bit frustrating.
Don’t get me wrong, I know the game and not complaining. Just seems a bit messed up that only 1 week after starting deliveries in Europe the price goes down.

The timing is very frustrating, really sorry to hear. Hope you enjoy your fabulous new car to the fullest, regardless. :)

I can understand the frustration. However, another way to look at it is that you guys with the first deliveries started ordering 2-2,5 months ago in December and the price reduction is applicable for cars ordered today, in March.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel