Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there will be an S refresh and possibly X, although I think X will just go away. We should probably be seeing a new S next year or after (in Elon time he'll say 2020).

I don't know if they will say anything today though, but I think they would like to prop things up.
They won't stop selling the X. That just doesn't make any sense.

BTW.:

"The teaser image looks very similar to the current generation of Supercharger stations, if not identical, but the charge cable actually looks much thinner, which would be surprising considering the new generation is supposed to enable a higher charge rate."​

This seems to support the recent leak that the cable is liquid cooled.

Articles states that the picture shown in the header is from a previous (now withdrawn) Tesla Supercharger site:

"But Tesla temporarily had a thinner Supercharger cable at its Computer History Museum location that was liquid cooled (pictured above with heat map). That was replaced last year by the thicker traditional cable."​

Last edited:
Things Tesla could do to significantly improve their appeal to Iceland:
  • Tow package
  • Air suspension (more clearance when needed)
  • Greater native ground clearance (snow, unpaved roads)
  • True offroad vehicles (not "city SUVs")

Or Idaho. Maybe I need to be a squeakier wheel. I'd sure like to see the US's large, rural states with enough SuperChargers so I can easily go where I want to go in one of my two Teslas. I just had to take our old Honda Element to go on a ski vacation. The mission of even solving for long distance travel in the US is not complete. Yet it seems the priority has seriously shifted to solving for SuperCharging in urban areas, which bums me out.

Not trying to rain on the battery swap parade, but people are still rather fond of their cars and are thinking of their battery packs as property, and don't want to give up their well maintained, well looked after battery pack to some anonymous lottery of everyone's else's poorly maintained, badly degraded battery packs. :D

Also, if SuperCharger v3 is indeed an upgrade to 200 kW max charging speeds then we will probably begin the phase of diminishing returns in recharging speeds.
You had to go back and swap back to your original battery. It was only good for bay area to LA trips.

Or Idaho. Maybe I need to be a squeakier wheel. I'd sure like to see the US's large, rural states with enough SuperChargers so I can easily go where I want to go in one of my two Teslas. I just had to take our old Honda Element to go on a ski vacation. The mission of even solving for long distance travel in the US is not complete. Yet it seems the priority has seriously shifted to solving for SuperCharging in urban areas, which bums me out.
While I hear you (I'm also rural and have issues, though none yet that I can't manage with my MR) I think the emphasis is right for the mission. Given the option to continue whittling down battery price while ramping up battery production to eventually have affordable longer ranged EVs that can go anywhere or sell lots of EVs right now which are shorter ranged but completely suited to the coasts where most people live? I can't say that I'm surprised by what Tesla is doing.

Long term? Longer ranges are needed -- not for everyone, but for those that are more rural. I think it is much more realistic than trying to service with super chargers. But by shifting more driving to EVs -- even if some longer range trips are still done with ICE -- then the transition is farther along and more pollution has been prevented.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
While I hear you (I'm also rural and have issues, though none yet that I can't manage with my MR) I think the emphasis is right for the mission. Given the option to continue whittling down battery price while ramping up battery production to eventually have affordable longer ranged EVs that can go anywhere or sell lots of EVs right now which are shorter ranged but completely suited to the coasts where most people live? I can't say that I'm surprised by what Tesla is doing.

Long term? Longer ranges are needed -- not for everyone, but for those that are more rural. I think it is much more realistic than trying to service with super chargers. But by shifting more driving to EVs -- even if some longer range trips are still done with ICE -- then the transition is farther along and more pollution has been prevented.
Yeah maybe. I would buy a longer range X immediately if one came out to try and solve for long distance travel since the SCs in these rural areas seem to keep getting pushed out further into the future. But more range isn't what I'm asking for in my comment. I'm just asking for the US to be filled out so a person can comfortably drive their existing Tesla long distance. I get priorities. And the mission. Although when I look at all the SCs being built out across the nation (and there are tons of them in progress), it bums me out that just a dozen of these can't be redirected immediately to filing out the USA's interstates and some highways so people can actually travel long distance. Instead, the focus is solving for charging for people who aren't charging at home; or can't; which wasn't how SuperCharging was originally sold. I'd just like them to finish the job. It wouldn't take much to close up these dead zones.

supercharge.info

So Sprung Tent assembly line within the new Shanghai Gigafactory main building, but without the tent? Works for me! :D

Seriously, they'll need body shop, stamps, molding shop and paint shop at minimum to feed a final assembly line, even if they import battery packs, seats and glass from the U.S.

Many of those machines have significant lead times and they are made in Europe/U.S., so not at Chinese speeds. ;)

Yes, but the orders could have been placed October of last year. That’s ample time.

In all seriousness. I've been debating for a very long time whether to pull the trigger immediately when they open up here, or wait. And here's what I came up with.

[snip]

So, in conclusion...
... I'm going to pull the trigger right away.

Why? It all came down to one thing: Call me a "cultist", but I want to see Tesla - and EVs in general - succeed. And ordering immediately is not just important to Tesla, but it means that I can start showing the car off to every bloody person I meet and letting even total strangers do test drives. ;) I want to be Patient Zero in the Model 3 outbreak here ;)

So unless their Icelandic prices are unexpectedly high... my car will be on the first boat to the country.
I was so ready to respond asking how your TRS-80 computer is working for you, and then I read further. ;)

I don't hit the "love" button often, but this post is truly worthy of it. Kudos, Karen. You will be an ambassador for Tesla in Iceland that will lead the way. I hope Tesla starts shipping to Iceland ASAP!

-Joe

I guess when your advertising clients are all suffering at the hands of Tesla, there's nothing you can do except be biased against them.

Exactly. The press are ideologically biased, uninformed, and in the case of Tesla, additionally financially incented to be biased against Tesla. Horrible.

Depends on the taper curve. We'll see tonight. But similarly important is the removal of the paired-stall power limit.

Exactly. We know what the taper was. We don't know if they adjusted it. If it's unadjusted, then it'll only matter at low SoCs. If it is adjusted, however... could be very significant.

I forget, what time is the event? And has there been any info about a livestream or whatnot?

I do kinda wonder if a actual event is really needed for V3 debut. It is a big deal but a whole event where you're inviting people to the event? Seems a bit over the top especially when they could done the announcement of the 35 Model 3 at the same time/event as V3 Supercharging.

I think it's really exciting. Seriously.
We get to learn the full potential of the model 3 battery system.

On the other hand Musk running a modified model X in a tunnel he dug is kinda boring. And not in the good way.

• Funny
Reactions: Cherry Wine