Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they just raised prices(and I’ve been previously assured that they would only ever change prices in response to demand), that suggests they’ve already been selling every car they can make. Why bother spending money on ads to sell cars you can’t make fast enough?
I just know it seems they're only making 5k a week - not pushing for 6k or 7k even - and we were told 10k a week. If Tesla was churning out 10k a week I'd say you were right, I'm not seeing a hard time push to that which gives me concern.

My business is capital intensive, but not as much as auto manufacturing. I would probably not choose to do that business as it does not make sense as Musk has admitted. He just is pushing the EV movement so he has other goals than financial.

Your business is capital intensive how? Do you manufacturer anything and built a product line?

I disagree with you that Tesla is supply constrained which is why I think they should begin to advertise. My guess is they probably will in the next 6 months.

Insulting the level of mental rigor is dumb since you have no idea what business I run. I don't think auto manufacturing is particularly mentally rigorous though rocket launching would be...
Uh oh... and now you believe the reports they aren't selling every car they can make, and have them secretly stockpiled somewhere or are dumping them in the ocean...

Not looking good for Gringotuanis Incorporated...

upload_2019-3-12_12-59-49.png

I thought They have been taking reservations for quite some time,no?

Well I do like to thumb the Elon worshippers. He's really not the greatest at running a business day to day. I would much prefer someone else like Shotwell helping him, and yes the scale is much, much different. However, Tesla does have to maintain profit margins just like I do. Once they are profitable they will make much more than I do...but until then my numbers are actually better on a percentage basis. If Tesla can't get the math to work, it will fail like any business. (Though I think they will get their margins figured out and be fine).

I do agree that he could use a Shotwell with Tesla.

The only advertising that I think would be productive for Tesla would be adverts that directly attacked the persistent FUD and/or lies in some clever/comical/informative way (as distinct form conventional advertising)

And, possibly, ads that generally promoted EVs and sustainable energy - even if other manufacturers benefitted as it is clear Tesla has a distinct headstart and those people who won't buy a Tesla, wouldn't anyway so let them buy an alternative car - it is the mission after all!

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV and gene
The market hates uncertainty. Tesla made 3 different business decisions in less than a month. Expand retail, close retail, keep half of retail. That's a bad look and shows that Tesla shoots first and aims later. That's just the truth. And I believe that's why the market is responding in a negative way.

I agree with the interpretation by the market.

This very long term investor (me) has a different interpretation. I see a decision making strategy that I think more appropriate to a company in hyper growth mode, where time spent in analysis is time lost for hyper growth. It's a rare condition to exist and be in, and I can't think of another CEO besides Elon that I would want to have in charge of a company in hyper growth mode than Elon - maybe Reed Hastings.

In hyper growth, there is strong value in taking these "small" / short term decisions fast and furious, course correcting as you go, rather than studying them deeply. The value in hyper growth of making the decisions fast exceeds the cost of making decisions using the typical boundary conditions (study them carefully - make decisions that will stand for months or quarters, years are preferable, that sort of thing), and then use the market of reaction and learning to learn from the decisions to make more decisions and course correct fast.

My own reaction when I saw the original decision was somewhat dubious if I took it as stated on its face - it seems hard to sell cars consistently without the ability for people to sit in cars, get test drives, and so forth. And then I saw an initial list of stores closing and it looked immediately like the list of closing was a lot less aggressive than originally stated (I was expecting the Washington Square Mall store in the Portland, OR area to close, as we have 2 stores in the area now - I was wrong; both are staying open, at least for now).

The end result that we've oscillated to makes a LOT of sense to me. One of the bits that I don't know is true, but I've read and makes sense to me, is that the overall sales 'channel' within Tesla has been drifting away from the original view of the stores as the "education channel", and more and more into a traditional car sales channel, complete with spiffs, incentives, and sales quotas. The #1 thing that I hope has been accomplished in all of this is for all of that stuff to be ended, and the whole channel / galleries / stores are reset back to the education channel.

If that means taking the people in the stores out of the sales loop completely, then do it. No commissions, no quotas, no incentives - either individually or stores - do all of the sales online. Then the people in the stores can just be pure ambassadors for the brand and EVs. For many of us, that was a big attraction to the brand in the first place, and it works synergistically with the product, really well.

Anyway, my original reaction when I saw the announcement, and it's been reinforced by the followup announcement and adjustment, is that I wouldn't want to be in direct competition with Tesla. The company does in days what takes other companies quarters or more to do. The pace, not just of technology innovation, is blistering.

As an investor, if you care about the short term stock price (short term being "the next 3-6 months"), then this probably isn't the company for you.

But if you've got a long term view (for me, that's 5+ years), who doesn't want to be invested in the company that is routinely doing in days what others do in quarters? If the translation is 1 week Tesla time = 1 quarter Everybody else time, then Tesla is going to live and do roughly 13 years of Everybody else time in 2019. While the rest of the industry is laboriously doing 5 years of R&D and bringing products to market over the next 5 years, Tesla is going to be doing 65 years of equivalent work (on my completely made up scale).

I'd MUCH rather own a chunk of the entity moving at that pace, even if we're in a window where the impact of the blur of speed isn't yet completely 100% clear just yet. (It seems obvious to me, but I grant that it's not obvious to everybody)

Don’t expect to celebrate soon, obviously the powers at be didn’t like the stock move today, so here comes the downgrade from Morgan Stanley. You wonder what the reason is for this downgrade?

Well, the current narrative, you’ve heard it before: Tesla cost cutting measures and lowering prices across the product lines must mean there is a demand issue.

Model 3 forecast reduced, downgrade of price target from $283 to $260.

Thank you very much, Adam Jonas! You’re either incompetent or in the pocket of the powers at be (or both).

Right on the head

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
I'm sure they will when they are not able to sell all they can produce. In the meantime, it would just be wasted dollars.

A Tesla "advertisement" would be a completely different animal than what we see from the major automakers at this point. Most car commercials are short on facts as automakers are pushing a "lifestyle". For instance, watching the happy family take their SUV into the woods to go camping or driving your sporty new car up a road along the Pacific Coast. They do this because there is very little that actually differentiates their cars from the competition, it's a big fashion show. Tesla does not need to play in this arena because their cars are nothing like the competition and offer things other car manufactures can not match such as over the air updates.

What Tesla needs, IMHO, is to EDUCATE the public about their vehicles and in that sense I do feel some sort of outreach is necessary. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tesla's target market is younger and very internet savvy so once again traditional advertising is simply not going to be very effective. The best commercial for Tesla would be the owners of the car, I'm sure they get a million questions from family members about the experience and considering Tesla has such a high customer satisfaction rate I would bet their responses are overwhelmingly positive. BUT how does Tesla explain to the average person what their cars can do? If you take a few minutes and have a conversation with someone who is not a Tesla fanatic (board member) you might be surprised how little they actually know about EV's in general. Going further with that point they usually know even less about Tesla specific things.

This will fix itself in a few years when there is little left of the ICE market and people are forced into learning about EV's and comparing the offerings.

BTW, normally I'm pretty pessimistic about market reactions but this unveiling is a big deal and you now have Tesla going after the SUV market, which is substantially larger than the market for sedans in the US. Make no mistake about this, the competition is going to be very shaken in a few months when the Y starts rolling off the line. Trucks and SUV's are the battleground and it's high time Tesla entered the arena.

Cheers to the longs

I disagree with you that Tesla is supply constrained which is why I think they should begin to advertise. My guess is they probably will in the next 6 months.

Insulting the level of mental rigor is dumb since you have no idea what business I run. I don't think auto manufacturing is particularly mentally rigorous though rocket launching would be...

I agree that the advertising is probably imminent, worst case 6 months best case not until the super bowl. I think at some point they will have to do it just to educate people on EV’s. Someone had a good suggestion regarding videos on YouTube explaining/showing people how they’d go about typical tasks like charging at a supercharger. There’s too many people on here that live in an echo chamber and think everyone gets it. They don’t, especially baby boomers, and people who live outside of a handful of states like CA NY and CO. This was fine when they delivered 100,000 S&X worldwide but the 3 will need some education to the masses.

For folks that believe the SEC exceeded their authority and caused material harm to shareholders, feel free to reach out to Cheryl Crumpton, who initiated the contempt motion against Tesla.

Cheryl Crumpton
Supervisory Trial Attorney
[email protected]
202-551-4459

1) SUGGESTED letter to send?
2) Suggested letter to Consumer Reports magazine?

Much thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
I agree that the advertising is probably imminent, worst case 6 months best case not until the super bowl. I think at some point they will have to do it just to educate people on EV’s. Someone had a good suggestion regarding videos on YouTube explaining/showing people how they’d go about typical tasks like charging at a supercharger. There’s too many people on here that live in an echo chamber and think everyone gets it. They don’t, especially baby boomers, and people who live outside of a handful of states like CA NY and CO. This was fine when they delivered 100,000 S&X worldwide but the 3 will need some education to the masses.

1. No.
2. Musk will be dancing on Rodeo Drive wearing a "Buy A Tesla!" sandwich board before he drops a single cent on traditional radio, TV, or print advertising.

I thought They have been taking reservations for quite some time,no?

I presume the difference is that previously trucking companies were negotiating semi-truck reservation details individually with Tesla, but now that process has become standardized and can be more easily accomplished online.

This may be especially good news for those independent truckers who drive their own trucks.

Dont forget that although the stock price goes where it goes, every single day (including when the market is closed) more M3s, Model S and model X cars roll off the production line, out of the doors and into the most satisfied customers in the auto industry.
We all know there is zero demand concerns, that the actual product is amazing, and that there are countless demand levers that can be pulled if required.

I run a small business, and make most of my sales through paying for advertising to draw peoples eyeballs to my product. I would KILL to have the kind of brand halo that TSLA has that means people buy a CAR without even a test drive, with zero advertising. Its truly incredible. When they decide they DO need to advertise, they will already have crushed every mainstream auto company out there.

I don't own or run a business, so I don't have the visceral relationship that you have. But this dynamic - I have a hard time understanding how others don't see this.

Can anybody identify any other product, in any other market, at any price point, of any kind or quality (there's literally no restriction in this question) that has the kind of demand for it that Tesla has for its cars?

The only whimsical idea that occurs to me is cocaine, but that's due to it's chemical addictive properties, and the inability to advertise due to widespread illegality. If it were legal, there would be enough different suppliers, I expect there would be advertising.