Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick note that the vehicle carrier Grand Venus which is scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge in two days is sailing in high winds in the Celtic Sea (i.e. West of the English Channel).

It is still doing 15 knots, though.

Also, in spite of yesterday's sighting of 300 Teslas on Pier 80, no car carrier is currently reporting its destination as San Francisco.

Strong hints this is the first of several loans. There was talk of "Chinese banks" and this is from only one Chinese bank, singular.

OT

I am going to try to stop posting here (the investor forum) for a while. I do so out of an unhealthy compulsion to provide information to people. On the whole, people don't want to learn anything which disagrees with their preconceptions, so I really shouldn't. I've been told this by many wise people: let people believe whatever nonsense they want to believe; practically nobody wants to learn anything, and it'll just be frustration to explain things to 99% of people. They're right. Almost everything I've posted for the last year is a repeat of something which has been posted before, usually many times, by myself or others; I'm just seeing the same misapprehensions over and over again, and there's really no point in discussion. If I do start posting, I shouldn't be doing so.

Thanks and massive props to Brian45011 for being the only person here to disagree with me who really proved me wrong.
Thanks to jbcarioca for genuinely insightful responses on *all* occasions, even to content which moderators are deleting.
Thanks to those who have collected data.
Thanks to many of the rest of you for being interested in analysis.

I'll still be lurking and reading. I just won't post.

Nerode N signing out.

Sad to see this. I don’t disagree with you often, but when I have, I haven’t been bothered by it. In some cases, I learn something and in others I still disagree but that’s ok. Fare thee well, and I hope to see you back soon.

2534B48E-1874-4F00-8998-B2F9A0F05BF0.jpeg

This whole board is getting filled up tn

I'd suggest it depends on the goal. Selling ZEVs is done to gain money. Not selling ZEVs means that other manufacturers won't be able to sell as many high margin gas hogs, and will either have to sell BEVs and hybrids (expensive R&D) or low profit econoboxes.

Jerry, I don't believe it works this way. Other manufacturers simply have to pay the maximum penalty. They chose to buy the credits because Tesla will sell them at a lower rate and thus lower their fixed costs which they have already built into the sale of their traditional vehicles. If Tesla decided never to sell another credit it would not slow the pace of production for legacy automakers.

Guys, what is wrong with me?

I am getting an I-PACE in April /post.

Sorry, I'm getting an I-PACE in April on an 18 month lease. I'm really looking forward to it. But I'm not going to lie, all I can think about is the Model 3 I'm hoping to get afterwards. I literally go to bed thinking about this car and wake up thinking about it. It's like a virus that has infected my brain. I've never felt this way about any product before. The level of emotional attachment I feel about something I don't even own is unreal.

Re Ron Baron's exposure on the several-times herein mentioned CNBC's Squawk Box this morning:

He very obviously was cut off at the ~8m14s clip-end that I have been able to see. Was anyone here able to listen to more than that, did that latter portion provide useful insight, and is there a link somewhere?
At the time, I thought something was wrong with my computer. I should have known, he was saying too many positive things, for too long, about Tesla. I did not stay on CNBC, for obvious reasons, to see if there was an explanation.

Sorry, I'm getting an I-PACE in April on an 18 month lease. I'm really looking forward to it. But I'm not going to lie, all I can think about is the Model 3 I'm hoping to get afterwards. I literally go to bed thinking about this car and wake up thinking about it. It's like a virus that has infected my brain. I've never felt this way about any product before. The level of emotional attachment I feel about something I don't even own is unreal.

If you don't ever need to road trip (charging sucks), and don't mind the subpar infotainment system, there's nothing wrong with I-Pace, and you shouldn't feel bad. Still runs on electrons, performance is Tesla-esque, etc. But if you actually want Model 3, why are you locking yourself into an 18-month lease?

Last edited:

I've had appetizers before the main course before...

Definitely share your thoughts once you get it. I'm still of the mindset that more EVs on the market will be a net boost to Tesla in the long term.

So, reading over the latest in the Tripp case, here's what I see:

Docket for Tesla, Inc. v. Tripp, 3:18-cv-00296 - CourtListener.com
  • Discovery has been extended to 10 July
  • Dispositive motions can be filed no later than 9 August
  • The pretrial order shall be filed by 6 September
  • Tripp has dropped his counterclaim of intentional infliction of emotional distress ("has and continues to suffer"), apparently to avoid a mental examination.
  • Google has been subpoenaed by Tesla to preserve information related to the case. This includes:
    • His google account, [email protected]
    • Any entities associated with his Google account, including Gmail, Drive, Hangouts, Docs, Slides, and Sheets
  • Tripp is still trying to get Elon deposed. The court wants more evidence backing the importance of such a deposition under the apex principle, designed to protect top executives from nuisance suits.

I imagine it would be quite expensive to pay a lawyer to summarize the case so quickly and accurately as you just did.

Thank you.