Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I think it looks too similar to the Model 3... I don’t see this product selling 750k units per year.
Model 3 specs, front and interior...not really exciting for a 2021 Tesla car.
Obviously I could be very wrong, but I’m underwhelmed.

People don’t buy a model 3 then a model y because they look different. They either buy one or the other base on individual/family needs. The crossover segment is huge, for the starting price of $39k they’ll sell like hot cakes. Don’t believe me? Visit your local Acura, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota dealer and see how similar crossovers stack up. I was shocked to see Acura crossovers at $45-55k.

Last edited:
Stock price will remain the same as it is depends on execution. Underselling Model Y is the right strategy.

Model Y is built for easy manufacturability, shares 76% of components with Model 3. This is the right move as price and performance competes with ICE models. No more electric handicap - affordable, long range, high performance is all what 3 and Y are about.

SEC alleges Volkswagen 'perpetrated a massive fraud' and repeatedly lied to US investors

This popped up on my phone and had a mini heart attack, then I read Volkswagen. Phew.

So it took them 3 years since the scandal to figure this out, even after all the media and government coverage? But only took 3 months to slam Tesla? Who’s the genius working at the SEC, i’d like to know if their parents paid $500,000 to get them into USC then got fast tracked to working at the SEC.

Let me guess, $2,000 fine on Volkswagen?

Well, I just put my $2500 on a white AWD. For my business I can really use the hatchback door. Also, AWD will come in handy for me at times. Here in California, Subaru sells their gas guzzlers like crazy. It's a Subaru cult. But I can see these Subaru buyers switching over to the Y in droves.

What I really need is a truck. I keep hesitating to put a deposit on a Rivian mostly because I had a few questions needed to be answered before deciding between the Rivian truck and SUV. I have emailed these questions now 3 times to Rivian with zero response from Rivian. Basically, it pisses me off there is no response and lowers any confidence I have in Rivian.

If the Tesla pickup truck looks good to me and is not going to be forever to be produced, I'll switch from the Y to the pickup truck.

Bulgaria has warmer winters and is more developed from my point of view. Romania has better soil for farming. Romanian winter can reach Canadian level of coldness. Not sure if that causes problem for manufacturing EV.

People wise Romanians has a better command of English and can generally understand Italians. So it'd be a better country for poaching Italian talents, but the Gypsie stigma is strong in Europe. Cost of living wise, I don't find it to be much cheaper than other places in Europe due to European integration. Germany is probably less expensive.
Bulgarians has some problems visiting North America or Europe I think. Something wrong with their Visa so freedom of movement for local talent has to be taken into account.

I forgot why, but after I went through Bulgaria, I crossed it off my list of country I wish to live in or start a business in.

I have a had time imagining any serious manufacturer (incl. a disrupter) set up production in the Balkans, Romania or Bulgaria.

Nothing really works as it is supposed to there and for those parts that are in Schengen anyone worth their salt have used their right to free mobility within the EU and is now working in e.g. rural Italy, where they have bought a cheap, run-down house that they are refurbishing in their free time - for the Romanians the language barrier there is very low.

PS. Unless you are looking to be the next Dacia Automobile...
PPS. In 1990 I cycled in Eastern Europe for 8 weeks and took some photos, incl. my avatar one. I spent a few days in Bulgaria and about 10 days in Romania (incl. staying with a family for one week), I contributed a photo of Romas one the move with their bear here:
Ursari - Wikipedia
Bulgaria and Romania have naturally changed since 1990, but they are still very different from the rest of the EU, the above road is here on Google Street view:
Google Maps

Last edited:
Correct my memory: the reservation on the M3 was $1000, but the deposit on the MY is $2500. Right?

So that would be more money. Plus reservation holders holding out for certain configurations was a bit of a problem for M3. With an order in hand, Tesla builds them and delivers them. The customer has to make an active choice to cancel the order to get their money back. But with the order, the buyer has 7 days from the delivery to reject the vehicle. So the MY ramp could be a much more orderly process for Tesla.

Yes. Although 2500 > 1000, thats not going help too much. We dont know how many MYs will be ordered/delivered.

Tesla needs to replenish their cash reserve and Q1 has been stated not to be profitable.

I expect Tesla to do a CAP raise in the future. There is heighten attention on the company's ability to pay for all of the big projects on EM's to-do list. He also wants to eventually bring out a pickup truck, a semitrailer truck and a new Roadster sports car.

Well, I just put my $2500 on a white AWD. For my business I can really use the hatchback door. Also, AWD will come in handy for me at times. Here in California, Subaru sells their gas guzzlers like crazy. It's a Subaru cult. But I can see these Subaru buyers switching over to the Y in droves.

What I really need is a truck. I keep hesitating to put a deposit on a Rivian mostly because I had a few questions needed to be answered before deciding between the Rivian truck and SUV. I have emailed these questions now 3 times to Rivian with zero response from Rivian. Basically, it pisses me off there is no response and lowers any confidence I have in Rivian.

If the Tesla pickup truck looks good to me and is not going to be forever to be produced, I'll switch from the Y to the pickup truck.

It just occurred to me that many reservation holders for the model 3 might be waiting for leasing to lock in their orders for business related tax write offs.

This is H-U-G-E

A. Best looking CUV on the market

B. 3 rows !!!!! Do you all understand the major marketing advantage here?

C. the interior space is massive

D. the performance is easily easily best in class

e. For the same price

Let's take a look at the competitors
BMW X3: $41,000 to $54,650 STARTING MSRP. Two rows, 62.7 cubic feet, 6.0 to 4.6 0-60 times
Audi Q5: $43,945 to $52,400 starting MSRP, Two rows, 60.4 cubic feet, 5.8 to 5.1 0-60 times
Porsche Macan: $49,900 to $77,200 starting MSRP, Two rows, 52.9 cubic feet, 6.3 to 4.4 0-60 times
Lexus RX: $43,670 to $51,455 starting MSRP, Three rows, 56.3 cubic feet, 8.0 to 7.7 0-6 times
Cadillac XT5: ha ha ha ha, just kidding

vs.

Model Y: $42,700 to $55,700 starting MSRP, Three rows, 65 cubic feet, 5.5 to 3.5 0-60 times

there are many tears being shed in Germany tonight
Wow, X3 has smaller inside volume!!!????
Mind blown, in a good way!!!

Note that hatchback/wagon/SUV cargo volume measurement in the US is not standardized, so manufacturers can get... creative.

That said, if they stick to a "below the beltline, both rows folded, and use the frunk too" standard, sure, I can see it.

Well the way Tesla calculates the Model X has 88 cu. ft. vs. 65 in the Model Y, 30 in the S, and 15 in the 3.

original.optimized-6.jpg

I think this is the death of MX.
Funny you say that. I clicked an order for the PY (it is C/d day after all).
But, after thinking about it over some late dinner, I figured I might eventually switch my $2500 to an X when the time comes. I really love my X. The Y ain't no mini-X, it's clear. And the price of a Perf Y ain't that far apart. I have plenty of time it seems.

This is H-U-G-E

A. Best looking CUV on the market

B. 3 rows !!!!! Do you all understand the major marketing advantage here?

C. the interior space is massive

D. the performance is easily easily best in class

e. For the same price

Let's take a look at the competitors
BMW X3: $41,000 to $54,650 STARTING MSRP. Two rows, 62.7 cubic feet, 6.0 to 4.6 0-60 times
Audi Q5: $43,945 to $52,400 starting MSRP, Two rows, 60.4 cubic feet, 5.8 to 5.1 0-60 times
Porsche Macan: $49,900 to $77,200 starting MSRP, Two rows, 52.9 cubic feet, 6.3 to 4.4 0-60 times
Lexus RX: $43,670 to $51,455 starting MSRP, Three rows, 56.3 cubic feet, 8.0 to 7.7 0-6 times
Cadillac XT5: ha ha ha ha, just kidding

vs.

Model Y: $42,700 to $55,700 starting MSRP, Three rows, 65 cubic feet, 5.5 to 3.5 0-60 times

there are many tears being shed in Germany tonight

I know right? I don't get the negativity.