Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologize if already addressed but Franz didn't have a clean sheet of paper to start. They purposely shared a significant DNA with the Model 3 for reasons we've beat to death. Not uncommon for large scale production.

One way to differentiate could be adding more range / acceleration in Model 3 by the time they start delivering Model Y. Basically making it a driver's delight vs. model Y being a family car.

Reactions: kbM3
One way to differentiate could be adding more range / acceleration in Model 3 by the time they start delivering Model Y. Basically making it a driver's delight vs. model Y being a family car.

Same as the S/X difference.

S/3: Faster, sleeker, easier to park, tighter handling, longer range, more efficient/faster charging, cheaper
X/Y: Significantly more cargo capacity, roomier, higher clearance, towing, and still great performance/handling range, even if not up to the standards of S/3.

Just take your pick of what suits your needs best :)

Model Y seems great, good reveal.

General question: why does Tesla/Elon deem it necessary to unveil the car 1,5 years before start of production? It seems to me there are way more disadvantages than advantages.

I'm thinking mainly to reduce the possibility of leaks, but other than that... Any help from people with more of a business background? Other car manufacturers do the same so there must be valid reasons. I just don't know them.

Marketing strategy to reach out to potential customers for current product lines. You gotta keep news outlets drumming.

+1 for that! This is absolutely where the car's maps+gps NEED to be informing the AI what to watch for, and to STFD if it can't see it!
The issue is going to be keeping the maps current. I have two places where there are problems that have had this same issue for several years (only two is actually very good, but not good enough for FSD). In one place it shows there are three left lanes available to continue on, but actually there are only two. The other place routes you off the interstate and then back on. This happens regardless of traffic. A better way might be with a sensor that uses the non-visible light spectrum (I'd say infrared, but LED stoplights don't have much infrared). Another issue is potholes. I'm not talking about the small ones, but the ones that are greater than 1 m width and depth. Right now in Nebraska there are so many of these that they've run out of barriers and are just putting up an orange pennant on a pole. From the pictures I've seen (usually including a car with its entire front or rear captured by the pothole) it's going to be very hard for either human or AI to see these.

By this line of thinking, Lathrop itself could/should then be the next GF (for Semi/MY).

Given that MY is feature complete, it seems "late next year" is surprising - so either under promising, or it has to do with resource/capital allocation, or osbourning M3 sales.

I'm guessing that is volume production (steep part of S curve), versus first production.

Could the thing that nobody caught be that 2019 will be the year of Tesla Energy? I haven't seen any reporting on that. It seems like this time they are serious about ramping up production of the Powerwall and Tesla Solar...

I can tell you that installations has picked up drastically for both solar and powerwall.

Marketing strategy to reach out to potential customers for current product lines. You gotta keep news outlets drumming.
Right. Already some etron and ipace customers will be willing to wait and save potentially $20K. Also maybe Elon wanted to keep enough buffer. Remember he said he no longer wants any bet-the-company type risks. I still think Tesla will do some soft release (early order delivery) sooner before the mass release in late 2020.

Doesn't all their electricity come from fossil fuels?
No. For the ones that don't have solar (most of them), it comes from the grid, so it's a mix of fossil fuels and renewable energy. Tesla may (I don't actually know) have a 100% renewable contract in some areas. Some also use storage to reduce the demand charges (and reduce the use of the worst fossil fuels).

Absolutely correct. The shorts ARE the reason the stock will go down. "Falling demand", and the other FUD are the excuses.

Ummm, sell cars profitably.... Seriously... That's ~all~ it will take to "stick it to the shorts"...
Tesla just needs to do that one thing... Everything else is just noise...
Do that one thing, and shorts are gone...

Market is overreacting, possibly they are reading too much into cash issues and lack of speed of growth. But I think people missed the point that in the next year they will double to cars ever produced, finalize GF3 and possibly add some factory in EU, roll out some Semis and refocus on Solar. Too many growth levers and it will be stupid to take another aggressive push. They have pushed back on solar enough so refocusing there is not a bad idea.

As investors, this is what we have been asking Tesla. Don't over-promise.