Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say the look is growing on me. The trick is to not compare it to the Model 3, but look at it with fresh eyes as a new product. The design team really did a good job maintaining as much of the aesthetics as possible. Really masterful if you consider the storage functionality -- nice blending of form and function. I'm not a big fan of crossovers, but this is probably my favorite and one I wouldn't mind owning (based on looks alone).
I wish they had brought out the Model Y onto the stage without all the other cars there so we could have had a better view. If you look on Tesla.com, I think the car looks quite nice in the online pics.

This stock is f-ing insane. Almost 7k/wk sustained Model 3, Model Y, Chinese GF, and we're at $277. Wall Street is unimaginably short-sighted. But this seems like a standard MMD. Bet we close at $295 today, right around max pain.

Just starting to be valued as a car company. Elon made a big speech about them being a 10 year old car company.

People don’t buy a model 3 then a model y because they look different. They either buy one or the other base on individual/family needs. The crossover segment is huge, for the starting price of $39k they’ll sell like hot cakes. Don’t believe me? Visit your local Acura, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota dealer and see how similar crossovers stack up. I was shocked to see Acura crossovers at $45-55k.

I don't know if it is realistic or not, but I hope there is some portion of future Y customers who realize that they can get a M3 now, enjoy it for 2 or 3 years then sell at very good retention of value and move to a Y. I'm NOT saying a big % of those who want an MY are going to want to do this, but for 10 - 15% it may be a great way to go. Of course the real benefit is it helps maintain M3 demand as MY gets steadily closer.

i love the look of it. reminds me of the Porsche Macan, but much sleeker.

Yeah, the Model Y is crazy good looking:

upload_2019-3-15_15-8-38.png

The blue-on-red color scheme from the unveil was anti-selling it a bit. :D

True, but FSD should really cut down on the number of accidents--particularly those arising from medical conditions or falling asleep at the wheel. The one thing I would like to see tested is if the camera can be blinded by the sun and not see the stoplight (same as a human eye--I actually had that happen once, got lucky, no cars in the cross street).
Try a BattleVisor

I think Tesla could have rolled an empty refrigerator box out there and some of you would have said, "I love it".

Why is it that nobody can get past their own agenda and bias to form a truly objective opinion? It's the same for the Tesla haters and the Tesla lovers.
EXACTLY!

All these folks who don't adopt your opinion must be sheeple! It's IMPOSSIBLE to actually like the Model Y!

Last edited:
The reaction from the media and even Tesla fans is baffling. "underwhelming". WTF were you expecting? 75% of a model 3, small SUV. I actually think it looks cooler than I expected. The model 3 is about a year old, did you expect some kind of crazy new tech just a year later? Then you have people talking about the small rear seats...uhh yeah, it's a small vehicle. You don't get full size 3rd row seats until you look at the Tahoes and Minivans of the world.

I love my 3 but I think the Y may be a better looking car all in all. I don't expect everyone to love it, but if you were disappointed then you have had your head far up your...tailpipe.

For the actual show, the buildup was pretty cool but they really should have brought up the lights more and had the camera pan around the car a bit. That was a miss.

So 70% fossil fuel electricity generation. Not so green out west.
As the grid gets cleaner, the SCs get greener. ICE cars start out as clean as they will ever be and get dirtier as they age. A big percentage of cars is in Texas where wind and solar provide a lot of the energy and are poised to replace fossil fuels. Even with 100% coal generation, BEVs are still better than ICE cars.

Looks cooler than I expected, will eat a decent chunk of the Subaru crowd and all the Prius folks(obviously). This thing will cannibalize some M3 demand, but will be wildly popular enough to cover that by 10x. They're made on the same skateboard, so who cares? The folks who talked Elon into using the unmodified M3 frame made investors a lot of money.

If Q1 shows that demand for the 3 is still decent, what do you think the new FUD story will be? I assume it will shift back to the flood of Tesla killers? "flood" and "tesla killers" ;)
For your morning 3 minutes of comedy. The expert on Fox doesn't keeps calling the Model 3 a Model X, and worse.

Those words do not go together.

The narrative “there must be a demand problem” is the main reason the stock is depressed. Could have been addressed more forcefully by Elon. It should have shifted to “can Tesla scale manufacturing to satify demand”.
I do wonder about that. Either demand is a bit squishy or he just doesn't care about SP right now.

• Funny
Reactions: sundaymorning