Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Service is centralised in Brussels, no longer given from the other centres
At least for the time being. Tesla Ghent called me back to arrange my summer tire swap, and the earliest they could offer was halfway april. So they will return to normal service after the last cars from the last ships have been delivered. Until the next end of quarter rush.

400 M3 per week is crazy, iirc last year we had only 800 S/X registered in Belgium.

They are different stats when confined to a given quarter. You can deliver cars produced in a prior quarter and produce cars that may be delivered in a future quarter.

Tesla’s tactic to deliver to customers nearest at quarter end minimises the discrepancy.

No If's and But's ... just common sense --- if there is a chicken now, there must have been an egg some time back.

I think we here on TMC successfully broadened the Osborne Effect to across company boundaries: a future product causing deferred purchase behavior.

Ok, the number of Disagrees is pretty convincing, so I'll limit my use of the "Osborne Effect" to the specific case when the same company's future product is prematurely depressing sales of an existing product - as @AudubonB noted!

At least for the time being. Tesla Ghent called me back to arrange my summer tire swap, and the earliest they could offer was halfway april. So they will return to normal service after the last cars from the last ships have been delivered. Until the next end of quarter rush.

400 M3 per week is crazy, iirc last year we had only 800 S/X registered in Belgium.

Great, the last EU bound ship Viking Adventure (EU ship #8 ) is scheduled to reach ZEE, BE on 24th -- looks like last batch has possibility to be fully delivered with such high Belgium numbers ..

I'm reading through the SEC's response, and their First Amendment arguments seem particularly weak:

B.
The Pre-Approval Requirement Does Not Implicate the First Amendment.

Musk’s First Amendment argument also fails because it rests on the false premise that the pre-approval requirement imposes a prior restraint on his speech. Dkt. No. 27, at 20-22. Submitting his written statements for pre-approval does not, as Musk baldly asserts, mean that he is prohibited from speaking. Dkt. No. 27, at 23. As long as a statement submitted for pre-approval is not false or misleading, Tesla would presumably approve its publication without any restraint on Musk. And if the proposed statement is false or misleading, then any restraint on Musk’s speech would be constitutional even if it involved state action. See Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal, Inc. v. Assara I LLC, 679 F. App’x 33, 36-37 (2d Cir. 2017) (prohibition of speech that is false, deceptive, or misleading does not violate First Amendment) (citing Safelite Grp., Inc. v. Jepsen, 764 F.3d 258, 261 (2d Cir. 2014); Democratic Nat’l Comm., 673 F.3d at 204-05).​

The SEC's own original contempt motion cites how that reading of the settlement with the SEC is interpreted by journalists:

"Lesley Stahl: Have you had any of your tweets censored since the settlement?

Elon Musk: No.

Lesley Stahl: None? Does someone have to read them before they go out?

Elon Musk: No.

Lesley Stahl: So your tweets are not supervised?"​

The SEC effectively invites Elon's reply to quote those questions verbatim, and invites him to testify again that he is effectively applying self-censorship to preemptively avoid conflict with the SEC.

Does the SEC really think that their additional demand to get ALL tweets about Tesla, even those which do not or could not contain material information, "supervised" and possibly "censored" through a court order imposed mechanism does not constitute "prior content-based restraint" on Elon's speech??

The SEC's filing is also entirely silent and keeps unchallenged much of the legal arguments Elon's team raised. Elon's team raised the legal argument that the SEC's interpretation is not just "prior restraint", but has "chilling effects" on Elon's speech as well. They cited relevant precedents that if there's a way to construe a court order to not have such restraint and chilling effects then a court must do so.

Here's the legal arguments Elon's team raised:

Prior restraints on speech “are the most serious and the least tolerable infringement on First Amendment rights.” Nebraska Press Ass’n v. Stuart, 427 U.S. 539, 559 (1976). “A prior restraint . . . has an immediate and irreversible sanction.” Id. “[While] a threat of criminal or civil sanctions after publication ‘chills’ speech, prior restraint ‘freezes’ it.” Id. Moreover, “[w]hen a prior restraint takes the form of a court-issued injunction, the risk of infringing on speech protected Notably, the SEC’s interpretation is not limited to Twitter. The SEC could apply its rule to statements made “in any written format,” including press releases, blogs, website postings, and, even more expansively, any written materials, notes, Q&A, and scripts used for preparation for public statements such as earnings calls.

In light of these concerns, “[a]ny imposition of a prior restraint . . . bears ‘a heavy presumption against its constitutional validity.’” Quattrone, 402 F.3d at 310 (quoting Bantam Books, Inc. v. Sullivan, 372 U.S. 58, 70 (1963)). A content-based prior restraint, like the restraint urged by the SEC here, would be subject to review under strict scrutiny, “requiring a showing that the restriction is ‘narrowly tailored to promote a compelling Government interest.’” John Doe, Inc. v. Mukasey, 549 F.3d 861, 871 (2d Cir. 2008) (quoting United States v. Playboy Entm’t Grp., Inc., 529 U.S. 803, 813 (2000)); see also Carroll v. President & Comm’rs of Princess Anne, 393 U.S. 175, 183 (1968) (a prior restraint “must be couched in the narrowest terms that will accomplish the pin-pointed objective permitted by constitutional mandate and the essential needs of the public order”).

As the SEC interprets and seeks to enforce it, the Order’s injunction is a de facto gag on a broad spectrum of statements implicating Tesla. Were the Order interpreted in this fashion, it would plainly fail strict scrutiny review. The government’s legitimate interest (shared by Musk) in protecting shareholders can be and has been served through less-restrictive means. These means include allowing Musk the discretion to make good-faith determinations of materiality (which is what the Order actually says) or by having the SEC go through normal enforcement proceedings under Rule 10b-5 targeting specific communications that the SEC contends are actionable.

Even prior violations of Rule 10b-5 or other statutes or regulations cannot justify an otherwise unconstitutional prior restraint. An injunction against future expression issued because of prior acts is incompatible with the First Amendment. Gayety Theatres, Inc. v. City of Miami, 719 F.2d 1550, 1551-52 (11th Cir. 1983). Reno v. ACLU, 521 U.S. 844, 874 (1997) (finding unconstitutional a statute that threatened to censor speech because such a burden is “unacceptable if less restrictive alternatives would be at least as effective in achieving the legitimate purpose that the statute was enacted to serve”).​

These are powerful arguments and the SEC's reply keeps that line of argument entirely undefended. The phrase "chilling effect" is not mentioned even once in the SEC's 60+ pages of reply...

The only response the SEC's filing seems to be offering is what appears to me is a willfully amateurish mis-reading of the powerful constitutional arguments Elon's lawyers have raised:

C.
Authority to Enforce Its Order Is Vested with the Court, Not the SEC.

Musk’s argument that enforcement of the terms of the Court’s order exceeds the SEC’s authority is equally flawed.

[... full paragraph omitted ...]​

That SEC argument fails in the first sentence already, because the SEC is basically making a straw-man argument: Elon's lawyers did NOT argue that enforcement of the settlement rests with the SEC, and their constitutional arguments and precedents are all about cases where the Constitution puts limits on court orders ...

Again a big swing and miss by the SEC lawyers, effectively summed up and countered by Elon's prior filing already:

The SEC’s desire for such a sweeping prior restraint on speech, effectuated not through some formal statutory authority granted to the SEC by Congress but through a contempt proceeding, must be rejected by the Court.

Anyone near the District Court, S.D. New York should consider showing up for the eventual hearing - I'd expect there to be some real fireworks, legally speaking ...

Also note that eyewitness description of the demeanor of SEC lawyers within court is not something usually captured in the court records or regular press reports, so if anyone attends and makes notes (audiovisual recordings will probably not be allowed), that could make for an interesting and exclusive reading.

But from what I've read from the SEC's reply motion so far the SEC is bringing a knife to a gunfight...

If common sense prevails, looks like SEC's twitter rules is a violation of 1st amendment.
EM paid the fine. He should be allowed to tweet what he wants, and if there is issue with any tweet SEC or any group should have the right to penalize EM again.

BTW, I am still waiting for some lawyer group to announce that they are sueing the SEC on behalf of investors ;) (here's an idea)

I'm starting to think, as others here, that the SP is artificially capped, and will be for some time. Tesla is delivering and we just have a flood of good news, and yet WS is winning the battle. For now.
also
Elon probably knows this very well, and he's focusing on production and delivery for spreading the word and putting as many M3s on the road as possible. This is the mission, and every new M3 increases demand, fights FUD, raises capital for further improvement.

What I'd love to see is a *ton* of small shareholders increasing their position for the longer term. Every Tesla owner is a potential TSLA shareholder, so the market is huge: with more than 500'000 owners out there, we collectively could own a major share of the company.
This is why I think Elon should tweet more links to TMC (particularly this thread): this is the only place I know where the community is able to see through FUD, provide amazing analysis, reassure shareholders for longer terms, while also having the technical means to moderate and ban trolls.
Maybe I'm dreaming, but this tactic could bear some fruit.

I'm starting to think, as others here, that the SP is artificially capped, and will be for some time. Tesla is delivering and we just have a flood of good news, and yet WS is winning the battle. For now.
also
Elon probably knows this very well, and he's focusing on production and delivery for spreading the word and putting as many M3s on the road as possible. This is the mission, and every new M3 increases demand, fights FUD, raises capital for further improvement.

What I'd love to see is a *ton* of small shareholders increasing their position for the longer term. Every Tesla owner is a potential TSLA shareholder, so the market is huge: with more than 500'000 owners out there, we collectively could own a major share of the company.
This is why I think Elon should tweet more links to TMC (particularly this thread): this is the only place I know where the community is able to see through FUD, provide amazing analysis, reassure shareholders for longer terms, while also having the technical means to moderate and ban trolls.
If I had extra cash, I'd be right there with you. Hopefully in the not to distant future I might be able to do just that.

Dan

The shorty force is just too big for retail investor to make a dent. We should hold on. The real game would be ultra rich tech guys. Like Larry if a few join the force and vote collectively for Tesla’s future, it will be a clear signal to the old industry to move and give way to the future. I guess the other tech guys have their own battles keeping them busy. Or they want to be avoid limelight to themselves.

Slightly OT but I could not think where I could post it...…..to brighten the day (in the face of SEC clouds)
20190313_081520.jpg

I'm starting to think, as others here, that the SP is artificially capped, and will be for some time.

I have this thought that I cannot refute by myself, so help me out...
What would happen if Tesla announced they are going to pay a symbolic dividend each positive quarter?
I believe this would cause all lent shares to be recalled every end of Q just so that shareholders can write down the profit.
I'd be more than happy with mere $0.01/share dividend and it would cost tesla less than $2M per Q.
If it would really cause shorties out every end of Q I'd say that is $2M well spent.

I cannot believe I'm the first one who thought about this so, where exactly am I wrong with this?

also

Tesla share price will rise once people can no longer deny Tesla’s value. That will only happen when Audi, BMW, and Porsche lose their market share and die. That is why Elon cut the price on the model 3 and that is why he went ahead and revealed the Y. He’s flooding the market with cheap high quality cars and it’s going to crush everybody else. Elon doesn’t care about share price right now. He knows that there are only so many premium car buyers and every model 3 sold is a lost sale for the Germans...just wait and see. Once market share is established Tesla will slowly increase prices again

I have this thought that I cannot refute by myself, so help me out...
What would happen if Tesla announced they are going to pay a symbolic dividend each positive quarter?
I believe this would cause all lent shares to be recalled every end of Q just so that shareholders can write down the profit.
I'd be more than happy with mere $0.01/share dividend and it would cost tesla less than $2M per Q.
If it would really cause shorties out every end of Q I'd say that is $2M well spent.

I cannot believe I'm the first one who thought about this so, where exactly am I wrong with this?

We had this discussion in the "taking private" times. Back then we concluded, it is not worth it.

It appears that the sec might have chosen this route of public responses in order to give the media as much tidbit to slam tesla as possible.

It's clearly escalation tactics: trying to force Elon to settle a second time. Pretty much the only option the SEC has left IMHO, the facts are against them and their legal arguments seem weak.

Except that I don't think they'll be able to force Elon to settle this time around. Contempt of court proceedings are 'risky' to Elon, but also mercifully accelerated - unless the judge wants it all to go slow that is. Still even in the worst case it should be over in months, not '~5 years' like the average civil lawsuit takes to resolve ...