Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what I would love! Replace the woman's voice for navigation with Elon's voice.

We were in England driving around and we reached a fork in the road. To the left the road went up a steep hill on a small road to the right the road went up a gentle hill on a wider road.

The instructions that my wife/navigator gave me was to go up.

So I steered to the left where upon she yelled at me to go the other way.

ps : Basically what I'm saying is - it takes years to complete a greenfield plant anywhere in EU or N America. If they want completed & productive plants by start of 2023, they have to be starting the project now. Might even be late already. They are just now doing a project to go from 350k to 500k (China GF). The project to go from 500k to 1M in Nevada GF is just now starting.

I think you are underestimating where Fremont is now. I think it is likely closer to if not over, 400k/year right now. By the end of the year, between Fremont and GF3, they should be at a run rate of almost 600k/year. But we will know for sure where Fremont is in the next day or two.

Who knows what that will be by the end of 2020 with GFx, and maybe GF3, cranking out Model Ys, Semis, and maybe Roadsters.

Oh, they finally got that thing up and running? It's long been a running joke in the nuclear world :) For those not familiar:

Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia

The more you read about it, the funnier/sadder it gets. One of the contracting firms was even owned by the Bulgarian mafia ;)

Thank you Karen. I don't want or have the time to go into details but in the 70s I did NRC proceedings involving several TVA nuclear projects. I was not allowed to discuss the safety aspects but from a cost and projected generation capacity without back end of the fuel cycle these were totally white elephants. Fortunately most were not completed because 1not needed and 2 way too costly per Mw. Amazing that it still goes on.

• Love
Reactions: Fact Checking
He he blaggers...not sure what that means ....but I like the sound of it....."yeah but he is a blagger"

A smooth talker, style over substance, glossy big picture over detail, gets to where they are by perfecting the art of bullsugar and mischaracterization of the truth.

I can say with certainty that it accurately describes the greater number of people in senior roles in the finance industry, most politicians and as far as I can tell these days pretty much all journalists. It's a skill that is quite beautifully taught by the private education sector in the UK but which has probably been best perfected by those attending the University of Life (for instance, my last builder).

This is the first time I've seen an actual number from China. So, 20k in China in Q1 seems possible. Add 15k in EU and 25k in US - 60k should be easy.
And what about Canada? People always forget about Canada... let's add 5k there. So:

20k EU + 20K China + 30k US and Canada = 70k

Easy Peasy! I'm buying calls tomorrow.

Oh, and where can I get a job as an analyst?

And what about Canada? People always forget about Canada... let's add 5k there. So:

20k EU + 20K China + 30k US and Canada = 70k

Easy Peasy! I'm buying calls tomorrow.

Oh, and where can I get a job as an analyst?

And let us not forget that Tesla began selling the Model 3 in the 3 Mexican countries earlier this month. Or at least one of them.:)

Tesla opens Model 3 sales in Mexico

Exporting cars across continents don't work well logistically & politically.

You really need factories in China, EU & N America making cars for the local areas.
Political maybe true, logistically arguable, if you automate the hell out of the manufacturing process, you might want to make it at where most of your components comes from, so you don’t need to ship thousands of different components across continents and manage inventory etc.

It would be ideal to have factory in each continent if most of the components can be locally sourced though, not sure where Tesla is at in their journey of vertical integration, but I doubt they would be wants to make some highly standardized parts themselves in each continent.

Reactions: wipster
Regarding GF1 bty cell production, we have an 'outsider' estimate from carsonight which has been consistant since Dec 2018:
  • 10 orig. Pana. lines making 300K cells/day @ 18 whr/cell ~ 37.8 MWhr/wk/line
  • 1 line dedicated TE cell production (diff. chem vs Automotive) ~ 2.0 GWhr/yr
  • 3 new Pana. lines make 400K cells/day @ 18 whr/cell ~ 50.4 Mwhr/wk/line
  • that's about 9*37.8 MWhr/wk + 3*50.4 MWhr/wk ~ 491 MWhr/wk Automotive
  • that's about 25.5 GWhr/yr, plus TE, gives GF1 ann. output of 27.5 GWhr/yr
Two new data points to consider now:
  • Panasonic said they plan to increase production to 35 GWhr/yr by 2019Q2
  • Elon is chomping at the bit his cigar to get the Tesla Semi into production
So how do we provision all these extra cells? Let's model cell production if those 10 orig. Pana. lines were also upgraded to 400K cells per day output:

(10+3) * 400,000 * 7 * 18 => 655.2 MWhr / wk or 34.1 GWhr / yr

Indeed, if actual output is just 3% higher (412,000 cells/line/day) that is the promised 35.0 GWhr / yr from just upgrading the existing 13 lines.

So how much spare capacity is that? Let's do the easy case with 12*103K extra cells per day:
  • 155 MWhr / wk (enough for 150 long-range Semis (250 Std Rge) per week)
  • 8.1 GWhr / wk (enough for 7,500 long-range Semis (12,500) per year)
How many Semi tractors could that allow? Let's model the Semi with a 600 KWhr bty pack (300 mile range version). Why? It's 258 miles from Fremont to Sparks, and Tesla will be their own 1st Customer.

from Fremont to Sparks, NV.png

Note that the 1st remote Megacharger site will be near the halfway point, the State Capital Sacramento, CA. More free marketing? :D

How many Semi tractors does Tesla need for daily logistics between Sparks and Fremont? Let's go by weight:
  • Say that an avg 64KWhr bty pack and 1.5 mtrs plus drive electronis weighs 500 kg (WAG).
  • Assume the max shipping wt per load is 20K kg
  • then each truck load can deliver approx 40 Model 3s worth of components
  • 1,000 Model 3 per day output, that's 25 round trips req'd per day
  • now double that for the min No. of tractors required, that's 50
  • now double it again to get raw material from Port of SFO to Sparks, that's 100
  • and double it again to to allow for vehicle availability (this is BETA!) that's 200
  • double it again for local logistics (Seat assembly, Lathrop Dist, Port of SFO)
  • add 25% for unassigned / spares for special deliveries / surge capabilities
  • that's about 500 Semis to cover Tesla's California/NV internal logistics
But that's just 2 week's production for Tesla's immediate logistics needs. They will have 12K/yr initial spare capacity which can go to the short-haul market. Yeah, so Tesla could rapidly expand their nationwide customer fleet.

I don't have parameters to estimate long-haul usage, but I suspect that will have to wait until the wide deployment of Megachargers along supported routes. Keep in mind, Supercharger v3 is being deployed this year, and its tech is foundational for the Megacharger network. I further expect Level 4 autonomy will be low hanging fruit via 'platooning' on the Interstate highway system, travelling between Megacharger locations. :D

So then, back to the 300 mi range (600 KWhr) version of the Semi. How many can Tesla sell to customers? Simple. All of them. 8X production (100,000/yr) is Elon's estimate for market size. The new California incentives alone will make Tesla Semi irresistable to early adopters. The 'S' curve lives!

This is gonna get big, fast. Hold on to yer hats ('n shares).

Cheers!

P.S. No, there will be no 2170 'refresh' for S/X anytime soon. :rolleyes:
P.P.S. My guess is Elon wants 'Maxcells' in the new flagship, exclusively to start. How about 435 mi (700 km) range for the high end sedan? And 300 miles recharging in 15 min?

Last edited:
Elon is in a good mood, I like it.

Me too. Just took delivery of my 3. I now understand why customer service can suck so much - this product is a quantum leap and it makes up for so much of the bad. Every other auto manufacturer should be praying Tesla never figures out customer service, 'cause if they do, no one will stand a chance.