Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
never heard of Occam's Razor, but you learn something every day. thanks, will use it in the future.

I would think Occam’s razor says they couldn’t get all the numbers in from China and perhaps somewhere else to get a completely accurate summary in time for today’s market start. That is a much simpler explanation than trying to delay bad news.

What I infer from what they actually do in tesla regarding FSD is this:

3) I don't agree with you that large dataset is counterproductive: I am aware of some neural network architectures where a baseline neural net model can be used for fine tuning for specific cases. This gets around class/label imbalances (learning edge cases that happens so infrequently that the learning effectively never happens in training a large neural net) issues. BERT is one example of such.
That's fair, but note that you are disagreeing with Andrej. Watch the video, listen to what he says. I was just relaying it.

Yup, just another Potemkin village like the gigglefactory... swampland and “cranes”

Nothing to see here....

;)
Don't think this video got shared yet (correct me if I'm wrong):

They've started paneling the roof. :) Also, the high-roof section has a really distinctive form relative to the low-roof section which was the only part we'd seen previously.

WHAT IF, Elon decides not to release delivery numbers at all ?
He could say, the analcysts and Shorty Air Force embracing MSM will spin anything negatively anyway and they want to trumpet their false narrative, so let them do that without any fuel, just hot air. No point feeding them.

Investors will get the full picture on the Earnings Release, market can speculate all they want.

ps: or just say something super-vague, like:
Total Deliveries were up well over 400% YoY.

Last edited:
Anyone who actually has a financial model for Tesla and understands that paint is the limitation shouldn't care. E.g. that selling fewer S/X 75Ds and more M3 LR AWD/Ps is a huge net positive for the company, and that Tesla made the right choice by choosing a price structure and resource allocation that favours the latter.
Those who would prefer not to hold leverage through a dip may care though. It's one thing to know what we know about Tesla, and feel confident holding long term, but it's quite another to deal with the spin from the media/analysts that affects the short term share price. I for one am not confident holding a high percentage of June/July OTM calls going into the P/D report. I've sold about 1/4 of mine. Having done so, I'm ok with a dip or climb on this report.

• Informative
Reactions: Mobius484
Slightly OT
That's fair, but note that you are disagreeing with Andrej. Watch the video, listen to what he says. I was just relaying it.
When you actually train the net, you want a balanced dataset, which have enough edge cases and not be overwhelmed by happy cases.

But to come up with a dataset with enough edge cases, you need a large fleet collecting them. It’s like you have to have access to a large data set then throw away invaluable portion of it.

For Tesla, this selection is done on every car, they are constantly adjusting the triggers that make a car collect then send data back, so they don’t need to blindly send all data.

Again, no other vendor has the fleet that can do this at this scale.

Slightly OT

When you actually train the net, you want a balanced dataset, which have enough edge cases and not be overwhelmed by happy cases.

But to come up with a dataset with enough edge cases, you need a large fleet collecting them. It’s like you have to have access to a large data set then throw away invaluable portion of it.

For Tesla, this selection is done on every car, they are constantly adjusting the triggers that make a car collect then send data back, so they don’t need to blindly send all data.

Again, no other vendor has the fleet that can do this at this scale.
The capacity to collect is important. What is not helpful is collecting everything. There was a post a while back about, internally, there being "campaigns" to drive data collection. In other words, trying to collect data on specific cases so as to have better coverage.

Note: your data isn't useful if it isn't clean, relevant and accurately labeled.

And, yes, I agree, Tesla has the best data for FSD.

[edit: so, yes, we agree. Just trying to be clear that having a mountain of data isn't helpful. Having "clear, relevant and accurately labeled data is what is required.]

Historically, the date of the p&d release has no bearing on whether or not it is bad/good. Chances are it is harder to compile with different jurisdictions.

Historucally, tesla's earnings date delay do have some bearing on how good/bad the number is. The earlier the ER, the better the number.

My razor says that the SEC is holding back approval of delivery numbers to spite Elon.

well, we're told Teslas DO float.
c1e8b2ac-tesla-model-s-crash-china-.jpg

:rolleyes:

Did the math. Tesla claims 2180 Liters of storage for the X. A 12 TByte SATA drive is about 0.4 liters. So that's a total of 5450 drives and 65400 TByte storage. Take a two hour (and 3000 kg overwight) drive from Munich to Stuttgart and you get about 9TByte/second. Recent development for fiber optics get a max of 1 PBit/s (~125 TByte). So... decent.

Investor relevant? It depends...
It's the latency that kills ya.