Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

giphy.gif

Welp.... Here's to another 3 months of FUD....

terrible report, 12k S/X is so troubling for demand

I disagree with regard to S/X based on the following:
  • Q4 hangover and seasonal variance.
  • Elimination of low-margin variants means that impact on profit is likely minimal, or even positive, even with lower numbers.
  • Some of the drop in demand is likely due to cannibalization by high margin Model 3s.
I'm sure others have more substantial arguments.

Overall though, I find the numbers disappointing. Let this be a reminder to folks not to correlate "Elon's Twitter mood" with impending results announcements. I made that mistake in the past, and won't do it again.

110% increase YoY...and everyone agrees it is a fail o_O.

Yeah, I know the stock may get hammered, but honestly weren't bad numbers baked into our descent in the first place? Wasn't the news already sold?

Maybe that doesn't matter but I thought the whole point of the drop from December was that Elon guided for a loss in the first quarter. And yet, the analysts get to be shocked and disgusted all over again now...as do a lot people on this site for reasons unknown.

Looking forward to a great second quarter and an S and X refresh. :)

This is ridiculous. I’m glad we’re only down 11 cents after hours.

I don’t believe this has anything to do with bad numbers— first report by the new CFO, or some other glitch, most likely— but it’s a bad look for Tesla.

"Deepak, in cell D13, it has a random number generating number of cars delivered. Are you sure that's right?"

Ducks for cover

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: 1kEE and wipster
110% increase YoY...and everyone agrees it is a fail o_O.

Yeah, I know the stock may get hammered, but honestly weren't bad numbers baked into our descent in the first place? Wasn't the news already sold?

Maybe that doesn't matter but I thought the whole point of the drop from December was that Elon guided for a loss in the first quarter. And yet, the analysts get to be shocked and disgusted all over again now...as do a lot people on this site for reasons unknown.

Looking forward to a great second quarter and an S and X refresh. :)

It's 110% increase in units but ASP is probably down by alot.

Unfortunately this report means we're going to have to live with at least another quarter of the FUD drumbeat...

Reactions: Thumper
They were blowing these cars out with huge discounts. Honestly think it's time for Tesla to start advertising. You can keep reducing the price of the car but that won't reach new ears.

exactly this, S/X demand fell off a cliff and even 3 demand in the US was very weak until the price drop and massive discounts being offered on 2018 models.

They were blowing these cars out with huge discounts. Honestly think it's time for Tesla to start advertising. You can keep reducing the price of the car but that won't reach new ears.

Pretty sure that would only apply to the third month of production. The first two were almost entirely AWD and P for EU and China. Will be interesting to see ASP compared to Q4.

Reactions: Smokey4141