Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, we just had a huge pileup of cars in February, due to blizzard conditions. It involved over 100 cars with 71 injured. Only problem is, autopilot likely would not have helped since visibility was so poor. It came on pretty suddenly. I don't think we have an answer for that. Fortunately, there was only 1 death (plus a cat - sorry @Krugerrand).

This is why cats typically don’t enjoy car rides; they are well aware of the dangers.

Where's our institutional investor that stopped by over the weekend? If I remember correctly, he said he was extremely bullish on the stock. I'd be interested in his take on the SEC effect.

It varies by firm. It’s certainly not a positive and is an overhang on the stock. But it isn’t an outright bar to owning or buying the stock at our firm and most others.

I would say that it adds a lot of political risk to pounding the table and saying we need to buy more stock. If you do that while there’s a lot of “noise” going on, then you better be damn sure that fundamentals are strong and you are right or you’re going to hear it. So it increases the conviction level you need to buy more stock, which can exacerbate weakness during times such as these when there is some general uncertainty on the fundamentals. I would imagine there would have been more support for the stock at these levels recently if this SEC overhang did not exist.

Hopefully it is resolved soon.

Hello All, thank-you for the incredible insights over the years....first post here....

Is it possible that the Tesla Network could be spin-off from Tesla....thus the "Investor" wording of the April 22nd event ?

Some sort of corporate structuring to make visible the latent potential of the Tesla Network ?

Excellent question. The reference to "investor" wording could actually be referring to existing investors (shareholders). A spinoff of the Tesla Network to existing shareholders would be a boon to the share price as the market would assess the value of the autonomous program vis-a-vis Waymo and other similar projects. As long as the Tesla initiative were seen to be at least equal to the others, there would be a quantum repricing of the stock. In addition, a spinoff would cause massive problems for the shorts, IMO.
Customary apologies for my tardiness (500+ comments in arrears), and maybe already mentioned, but:
HEUREKA!! :D
Wild idea: Could this be the moment of presenting that stock owner offer that some here have suggested lately?
To wit: For every X number of TSLA shares, Y number of spinoff shares in a new Autonomous Vehicle Company are being offered -- free or for a more or less symbolic price. All loaned TSLA recalled, @~25%?
Instant short pressure, two days before Q1-19 ER.
What will that do to the present depressed share price? :cool:

Not an advice (TM) ;)

BTW: Original date proposed, 19 April, is Good Friday, a bank holiday (?), so low likelihood reaching investor professionals. Hence the move to 22 April in spite of time constraints to ER. I guess, again.

• Most people will not share their car on the platform. Americans, especially middle aged and older, see their cars as private extensions of their personal space.
  • Those that do are more likely to be SR/SR+ owners. Maybe I'm just unable to escape my first bullet point but I don't see many people that own P3Ds renting their car out to random people. I sure as heck wouldn't rent my car on Turo...but if it drove itself? Maybe I would after all, though the value proposition isn't as great.
I don't see anybody renting out premium Teslas for $1/mile for the first 4-6 years of car's life. After than? I sure do. Even middle aged and seniors.

Reactions: EVMeister
We should be looking at ourselves as pioneers in long march toward the AI and Renewable energy.

Tesla sees everyone one of us as a contributing member of that movement.

Each of us got what we got, when we got it, and we were willing to pay the price at that time.

In the grand scheme, $3000 price flucations, negativity from the always-gets-it-wrong press, and grousing from owners about whether they did or didn't get treated quite as well as the would have liked while being delivered the most advanced, stylish, and important technology on the face of the earth for a price 1/10th it's actual value will quickly be forgotten.

I would love to drive people around today and sell the car. I am the lethal weapon for Tesla. I keep pulling people on board without a drive... Imagine if they were in the car. I should look for this post I did last yr on how to sell the car. Qualifying the passenger and the sequence of info are key.
Yeah me too! And to think I get some kind of referral something for just telling people about Tesla and driving them around in official Teslyftber would be great. I'd do it for swag and extra warranty coverage. If it's swag guess what everyone is getting for Christmas? :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wipster
Model 3 doesn't quite fit the Uber Black idea IMO. I think of town cars and I think most do the same.

Tesla is the new definition of American Luxury per Motor Trend. ;)

Anywayz, the point not everyone is looking for rock bottom price.

Some are willing to pay more for perceived higher value.

Curiosity? Safest vehicle on the road? Carbon neutral rides?

Customary apologies for my tardiness (500+ comments in arrears), and maybe already mentioned, but:
HEUREKA!! :D
Wild idea: Could this be the moment of presenting that stock owner offer that some here have suggested lately?
To wit: For every X number of TSLA shares, Y number of spinoff shares in a new Autonomous Vehicle Company are being offered -- free or for a more or less symbolic price. All loaned TSLA recalled, @~25%?
Instant short pressure, two days before Q1-19 ER.
What will that do to the present depressed share price? :cool:

Not an advice (TM) ;)

BTW: Original date proposed, 19 April, is Good Friday, a bank holiday (?), so low likelihood reaching investor professionals. Hence the move to 22 April in spite of time constraints to ER. I guess, again.
And in this scenario, would/could the ATC be privately held? Not traded publically?

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Lessmog and BBone
Summary of today's price action:

full-of-sound-and-fury.jpg

I don't see anybody renting out premium Teslas for $1/mile for the first 4-6 years of car's life. After than? I sure do. Even middle aged and seniors.

Local Turo model 3 for $88 per day three day minimum.
Max of 600 miles (200 per day).

so $88 * 3 / 600= 44 cents mile.

I know its not the same as UBER but THIS IS A GOOD DEAL FOR THE RENTER

This is the first time in a long time that I am holding some on margin overnight...
I'm on margin for the first time in years. There's been price pushes down with volume trying to push SP down. But it's managed to always come back to within a fraction of the earlier SP. I take that as a positive given all the FUD. And quite a few people including even in this posting thread either disbelieve or discount FSD and ridesharing. Or the 500k production for the next 12 months. Or whatever. So I think the negative sentiment is pretty baked in and the true longs who haven't sold are going to hold for a while.