Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Motor Trend has an article up about the Model S refresh.

EXCLUSIVE: 2019 Tesla Model S Review: From SF to LA on One Charge? - MotorTrend

We test it: Updated Model S can go from Bay Area to L.A. on a single charge ... As we pull into the [Hawthorne] Supercharger stall, our elapsed time from the Bay Area stood at 6 hours, 11 minutes, 359 miles. With 83 kWh used, we had 11 percent of the battery remaining—which equates to 41 more miles at the rate I was going. Right at 400 miles if you add it up

Tesla just set the bar so high that other EV manufacturers are curled up in a shower crying.
They send a pair of journalists on a none-stop trip from SF to LA on a 370 miles car, at the same time as they are hosting an autonomous investor day, with camera crew car, on NoA!

Clearly Tesla hoped they would arrive with zero intervention, which would draw perfect conclusion to the day. So much more powerful than Tesla employees doing a coast to coast trip.

But, said journalists screwed it up by not keeping hands on the wheel....:mad:

Let me think whether they did it on purpose.

Tesla should have “unbolted the wheel and put a cap there.”:D

Hmm. Doesn't work for a one-shot photo. They need to find, say, a hundred of the same edge case, using random detection of edge cases, before they can do this. If they only have one photo of a weird edge case, you can't train the computer to figure out what's similar to it. (You might have to take out a few cars and deliberately generate similar edge cases for a week before you could get anything approximating similar.)

So they're still going to have trouble collecting weird corner cases, even with this. It's a hard problem. Perhaps the only solution is TIME. Any weird edge case will show up more often as time goes on. One of the more famous Boeing 737 failure modes was only identified after a decade or more when they finally accumulated enough examples of it to generalize from.

Because time is a necessary element here, there's no way to accelerate the solution of the edge cases. It will take a long time.

And yet the 737 continued to fly and sell more miles and airframes while the learning continues, so yea it takes time but that does not discontinue or stop the usage.

Fire Away!

Reactions: neroden
This deserves some further exposition. Our brains have several different types of abilities: one is pattern detection (like the neural nets). (Neural nets is a bizarre term of art.) Another is, well, reasoning -- logical reasoning. In computing the attempts to do reasoning were called "expert systems" (another bizarre term of art). It has been suggested that for good AI we need to actually link neural nets and expert systems together, perhaps with other specialized units as well.
OT big time
Do you have an opinion regarding consciousness? Do you agree with Tononi's hypothesis that it consists of information integration? If I may ask. Or do you have another idea as to the nature of the hard question? Might Ill-understood consciousness be required for real AI, including self driving?

Attachments

• consciousness.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
So we can anticipate S/X sales will go back to normal again now?
I can imagine lot of older-gen (pre-2016) S owners will be wanting to upgrade with the free Ludicrous promotion.
This is pretty impressive but I want to see what the new interior looks like. Are they going to use the single center screen design of the 3 now?
I wonder if I would get free Ludicrous? I had bought an S in 2012, but it is sold. Yet I have three Model 3's. I betcha' they give it to me free. Doesn't matter. I had a loaner Model S with Ludicrous, I tried it once, and that was enough. It scared the crap out of me!

I really do wonder what the hell automakers in the EU are going to do.

1) EU put together brutal and well-crafted CO2 emission penalties starting next year.

2) None of the automakers are close to meeting them (except maybe Toyota), and the paltry number of EVs some of them are expected to put out won’t help much. They started way too late.

3) No one will buy them anyway given the superiority of Teslas in the range of $40,000-$100,000

The penalties are in the billions, and they only get worse in later years. And their EVs aren’t going to get any better with respect to Tesla at this rate.

And teslas misson again is? I don’t understand all the vitrol against iPace and Etron. They are first generation products, they don’t need to be better than tesla who did this for ten years, they just need to be better than the legacy gas cars, and they are.

I am not understanding the Model S SR:

upload_2019-4-24_11-26-37.png

I am not understanding the Model S SR:

View attachment 400031

There's more to people buying a car than performance. Model S is inherently larger, more passenger & cargo space, with a hatchback that many people want/need. It's also more luxurious feeling, and for many they want that. The pricing is fine, it puts it more affordable than $100k+ performance Model S.

At the very beginning of Q1 they said they're removing the 3rd shift.
There was no 3rd shift. Tesla cut S/X to two shifts in early 2018, all they needed for 100k/year thanks to efficiency improvements. They apparently cut to a single shift in January 2019 and produced at a 56k/year rate..

I've never heard Elon so confident about anything.
“What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean zero, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year,”

Upon reflection, I think that Elon may have been very clever in this shift of focus to FSD. Now all the detractors and haters have green fields of freshly blooming FUD before them.

In the meantime, they overlook the now well-established and profitable EV business, while all the while Tesla continues to crank out quartery after quarter of FCF and pile up bags of $$$. Oh, and CNY too beginning in 2020Q1.

So I'll wait to see what the general tone of the TSLAQ fools is after the CC, and hope the EV future is secured. Guess we'll know soon enough if this is enough 'squirrel' to distract the dawgs.

Cheers!

I am really torn by this FSD stuff. On one hand karpathy's presentation is enjoyable and confidence inducing. On the other hand why Elon has to concentrate on robotaxi every where. Why don't you remind people there are money to be made along the way. First is the obvious one, Semi platooning. Second one is fully autonomous expressway driving, even only on serval designated highways such as i80. That's much easier than robotaxi in NYC. And shipping company would pay big money for that. Heck they can even have driverless sleeper buses running between San Fransisco and LA, built on semi power train. Or sell semi based RVs where the owner can go to sleep after driving it onto the highway.
How much is the labor cost as a % of the total cost ?

It is probably highest for the taxi industry.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So are you gonna take the job Elon offered you?!
He did not offer me a job. He said people that contributed to the report (there were 3 of us) should interview at Tesla without even outlining a process how to do it (which is a very smart move actually). I inquired with my usual Tesla PoC and they said they will ask around if I am seriously interested in joining Tesla.

I bet you never bought a gourmet burger over McDonald’s burger right?
Maybe if I end up having another couple of kids and they spend all their time eating McDonald's, I'd need that extra cabin space! On a serious point, in a European location I'd perversely pay MORE for a Model 3 than Model S, because its specs are better and I consider the S to be uncomfortably large for narrow winding rural roads, 500-year old city streets and 1960s parking spaces. I wonder whether this has anything to do with the very low rate of cannibalisation when 3 was only available in North America but seemingly higher rates in Europe.