Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will switch to Tesla Insurance if it is close or less than we currently pay. I'd rather give Tesla my money than Country.
Frankly, this could be a big thing. They KNOW how you drive, they know WHERE and WHEN you drive. They KNOW where the car is at all times. They could probably tie this into the REPAIRS side of the business. So, it could be an opportunity to deliver something much better than in the marketplace and/or take some of that profit away from insurance co’s.

Ultimately, I’d like to see some creative features like TURN OFF TURN ON pricing and options. They will know if the car is active or not, and can re-enable on demand. At that point, it’s only having insurance exactly when you need it.

All of a sudden I feel good that I sold 355 shares of my 400 share stake today.

All of a sudden I feel bad that I didn't sell all 400 shares.

It's been a pleasure serving with you gentlemen and ladies. I'm looking for my next long term investment now. I'll still trade in and out of swings in TSLA but I am officially done with the company as a long term hold.

My investment thesis is that Q1 was the low point for a while but I still want them to raise capital to up their cash balance.

Let's look at it this way:

Current Model 3 margin is 20% at Fremont/GF1. This means the Model Y will have similar or better margins. And the Model 3 margin in Shanghai will be much better than 20%.

AND Model Y will outsell S3X combined.

We're looking at a bright future.
We're always looking at a bright future here at TMC. It sure was fun to have a couple of bright quarters last year though.

Glass half full:
To me it looks like they packed as much bad news into this earnings release as they could. I thought they would try to add some ZEV or recognize the FCA revenue, but they seemed to take no optional revenue sources and have taken all possible write downs. Some of those write downs could not be avoided, due to price reductions, but it didn't seem that all the lease write downs all had to be done in Q1. If deliveries really pick up like they are saying revenue and profit should improve significantly going forward. They just need to tough out the hate campaign, maintain the brand image and keep plugging away on the new products and FSD. Even if FSD is 2021, 2020 should be very profitable.
Glass half empty:
I guess my dream of the stock firing up to $406 after earnings is not going to happen!

Frankly, this could be a big thing. They KNOW how you drive, they know WHERE and WHEN you drive. They KNOW where the car is at all times. They could probably tie this into the REPAIRS side of the business. So, it could be an opportunity to deliver something much better than in the marketplace and/or take some of that profit away from insurance co’s.

Also, Sentry Mode could record most vehicle damage, there would be 7 camera 360 degrees accident footage from Autopilot video capture, massively reducing insurance fraud, false claim losses and litigation costs and risks.

Tesla has access to data no other insurance company has, and could in principle revolutionize underwriting costs, while reaping market rates that the other, high overhead insurance companies set. They'd also reap the benefits of insuring only the safest vehicles on the planet.

Tesla also has their own body shops - Tesla Insurance could send small fender-bender repairs there. They could bundle Tesla Leasing with Tesla Insurance, etc.

Haven't thought it all through yet, but this sounds better for short term finances than robotaxis, as owner satisfaction with Tesla is very high. This could draw in a lot of existing owners if the rates are good.

It's also relatively immune to FUD: Tesla Insurance targets existing owners.

Last edited:
Basically sell the bad rumor and buy the bad news lol. Funny how it works
Exactly. I loaded up at 260 because the overall expectations were so low that even a real bad earnings report would likely make TSLA go green. Remember it's already dropped from 300-ish due to expectations of this report.

Luckily the report is not that bad. Liability and debt is not going up, it's going down. 2.2B in cash reserves. Lot of Q1 deliveries are in transit eg paid for but not sold.

S/X lower sales was expected, and also partially because a strategic mistake from Tesla (announcing Supercharger v3 and 250 kW charging on M3 months before ready on S/X, should've software capped then and kept mouth shut until May). I expect this to pick up. Sales could be much lower due to tax credit end, but it isn't.

Yet to see how market responds tommorow on opening, but I think people will be overall relieved.

Deciding whether Model Y should be in NV or CA. I called that one (and got some hate for it...).

Outlook based on what a great value SR+ is plus their expectation people were waiting for rumored S/X upgrade. Also seasonality and RHD. I'm hearing expectations vs. actual current order rates.

EDIT: there was also something about inventory write downs depressing S/X revenue. That may be making the numbers look worse than I expected.