Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months without issues, it was actually very sunny today and my 3 slammed on it's brakes twice while approaching overpasses. I'm supposed to believe in robotaxis next year when my 3 currently cannot drive under overpasses without issues and also has fatal attractions to concrete dividers?
Do you have the FSD computer in your car yet? No. Be patient. Next year is a long ways away.

Waymo was at 0.64 disengagements per 1000 miles in 2015. Tesla is at best 10 disengagements per 1000 miles according to the investor day. And Waymo is still not done with the fully self driving product even in Phoenix. How could Tesla go from 10 disengagements per thousand miles to 0 in one year or even 2-4 years when Waymo has taken 4 years to go from 0.64 disengagements to 0.09 disengagements.

This is a very good question and is central to understanding Tesla's approach versus Waymo's approach. I don't have much time to get into the full on answer that this topic deserves, but I'll take a gander at a shorter version.

There are two main splits that are instructional. Back in TMC '16, Lex Fridman gave a presentation on self driving along with another speaker. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name. Anyways, he highlighted a schism between two main camps trying to deliver autonomous vehicles. He said there are those that believed that autonomous driving can only come about through internal test fleets and ship to consumer, either through ride sharing (w/o safety driver) or through vehicles once level 4/5 is achieved. Tesla, amongst others, believe in an incremental improvement approach. This drives a completely different development plan and we'll call one the direct birth approach and the other is the incremental approach. The other main split is what Mobileye calls map heavy versus map light. A map heavy approach means a team can get some pretty good looking results pretty quick. Extensively map an area... whether it be a small city neighborhood or an entire city. And then throw a suite of sensors on to try to avoid hitting anything, and voila - you can get hundreds of millions or maybe even billions in VC. It's a pretty good looking demo. But it doesn't solve any of the thorny problems in perception for generalized autonomous driving. The idea is that you get somewhere and then figure out the really hard parts piece by piece. So in that way, they are incremental.

So, there is direct birth versus incremental improvement approach and map heavy versus map light. Waymo is both direct birth and map heavy, while Tesla is incremental improvement and map light. Waymo's approach can get you low disengagement numbers quicker than Tesla's approach. For the hard problems with autonomous driving, we don't know which one will end up winners yet. Maybe both or neither. The CA disengagement reports are therefore exceedingly misleading. To make big movements, developers need to break stuff. They need to find where things are wrong and do it repeatedly. Lots and lots of miles without disengagement, when one is short of the goal, indicates either they are really close to the solution or they are not attempting to seriously tackle the situation. And given the distance from the goal, the real answer is that they are not seriously developing the solution on CA public roads.

The direct birth, map heavy approach leads one to structure the development program in a certain way, and the incremental improvement and map light approach causes a different structure. Tesla's Autonomy Day is best seen as Tesla showing their development process. And few can follow in Tesla's approach to the development process. If the direct birth, map heavy approach ends up hitting local maximum as both Waymo has indicated and Tesla has insinuated, then they are stalled. The incremental approach means lots of humans teaching the system. That means deploying lots of vehicles to lots of humans. The cost per vehicle cannot be very high. Say, in volume, Waymo's approach means the test development vehicle costs $200,000. And they deploy 20,000 of them. That's $4 billion dollars. Each vehicle has been driving about 10,000 to 15,000 miles according to their CA report. That's 300 million miles a year at best. Assuming they cannot get enough ride sharing to cover much of that cost, the labor cost likely approaches $1 billion a year. On the other hand, Tesla's approach is about $1,500 of incremental cost to a vehicle. Tesla's customers pay for that cost. Tesla gets its customers to provide most of the labor for free. They just have to come up with ways to use their customer's miles to be fruitful and they outline a number of their approaches to collect that data and utilize that data during the presentation. There are just over 400,000 AP2.x+ vehicles on the road. Each does roughly 12,500 miles a year. That's 5 billion miles a year. There is no labor cost for driving around and teaching the system, as Tesla owners are performing micro work for the effort. Of course, there are big R&D costs, but we assume that is roughly the same between the two teams. Actually, we pay Tesla for the privilege of doing the micro-work for them. Note that if the Autopilot sensor suite costs $5,000+ in hardware, this approach wouldn't work as not enough people would opt for the sensor suite in their vehicles.

Back on the issue of disengagements. The map heavy approach with LIDAR gets a team a good looking stat pretty quickly. It doesn't mean it can drive, much like when you see Disney's Liberty Belle Paddle Steamer, it isn't actually a boat, but a train sitting in water. Since that Paddle Steamer is riding on rails, it can never sink, it can never get grounded, but it isn't actually a boat.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I guess this is the the guaranteed buy-back price that Tesla were giving customers a while back. Here in Belgium, they were also guaranteeing the residual value for external leasing, but I believed they've stopped this now.

Someone with a brain correct me if I'm wrong, eh?
That's it as far as I know. If I buy a $118k S for $103k prior to them being upgraded (and maybe refreshed in a year or two), and the guarantee says I can sell it back to Tesla for $56k 3 years later, then there's a good chance I'll take them up on that instead of bothering with a PP sale or trade-in on my pre-upgraded range, acceleration, interior, etc... car.

Silevo tech was about 2 years ahead of the current tech when the merger happened.
But they couldn't get it into mass production at acceptable quality rates and production rates.

Tesla delayed delayed manufacturing panels.
Not intentionally -- they just couldn't get the damn thing working at high speed. Happens sometimes, you know?

At this point it has been superseded.

Correct about the Semi but I just can't see how they can show a cost advantage when manufacturing a truck in California compared to let's say BYD who will manufacture a truck in China with their own batteries.

Maybe you should why BYD manufactures buses and other heavy EVs in Lancaster CA.

And how Proterra is growing their electric bus business while manufacturing in the US.

Tesla buses will last longer with superior autonomous features reducing TCO per mile.

You do know I hope that only if you buy during a share emission, you actually help the company? If you buy from the market, you just made a more prudent investor's day ;-)
I used to be all in on something I believed in and still do. Lost everything because of it anyway. Retail investors rarely beat inflation.
This is a frequently-cited argument that I have observed not for years, but for many decades - more than I am going to reveal. I find it disingenuous, deceptive, deluded, and worst of all, demonstrative of a fundamental lack of understanding about capital markets.

It is correct to AND ONLY TO a First Order approximation. Yes: per that capital raise that occurs at time T=1, that is when the corporation receives a bagful of cash.

However, only the truly näive believes that the investors who bought and sold at all times previous to T=1, and that all future buys and sells times subsequent to T=1 neither help...nor hurt...the company. It is precisely the functioning marketplace - that is to say, all those buys and sells - that demonstrates to the entire capital market not only that any forthcoming capital raise may occur ===>but at what price the capital raise can be<===. Put another way, to a very great extent: are there no trades? The company is worthless. Are market manipulators ceaselessly - and mischeivously - driving a company's stock price lower OR higher? A forthcoming capital raise likewise will be more expensive (stock price driven below the Prudent Man's level), or less (vice versa).

The truth is, then, that investors - and not market manipulators or, other than as a 3rd or 4th Order effect, derivative players, very much do help the company.

An understanding of that not-terribly difficult to grasp concept - but one which sadly is less perceived than it should be - goes a very long way to understanding why my Signature's third line reads as it does.

I think the problem is not geo-fenced as such, but, the time it is taking Waymo to expand. If they can add a geo-fenced city every moth, they can do great. But if they take years just in one suburb - that too with ideal weather, traffic and road conditions - when will they cover top 100 markets ?

Different cities in different states have different driving dynamics, road signs, traffic signs. Heck even, traffic lights are different in certain states like Texas.

OT

Yeah. They can't. They are extremely far from even covering all of Phoenix, which is an easy environment compared to LA or NYC.

I cannot wait until Waymo deploys taxis attempting unprotected left turns in LA. You know, where basically only 2 cars get to turn left AFTER the light has turned red. Waymo vehicles will just be road boulder causing traffic backups, and the vehicles will absolutely get vandalized.

99760 miles on my S and the pano roof has never failed. Regular annual maintenance only. Dismayed Tesla stopped offering them. I can’t imagine buying a new S w/o pano sunroof.

Great! Mine was a total pain in the ass - would be adjusted, tightened, reset, lubricated, everything, even got totally replaced one time, but then after a few days it would be rattling like hell again. But I loved that pano roof nevertheless, and I loved that P85 dearly. Great, great car.

New Coke failed for exactly that reason. Just like Pepsi, it wins over classic coke in blind taste tests. What we know though is that the taste portion of our brains is overruled by the part governing memory. So Pepsi tastes better, but your brain believes it does not. Brainwashing! (marketing)

Coke didn't understand that which is why they updated the formula to a better tasting version, that ultimately failed.
I always thought that they did that as a marketing stunt to enhance the sales of their main product (e.g. classic coke).

And while I will say that I certainly have bought advertised items, I turned off the TV years ago, so I have no idea what the current ads are.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Well, all these permabulls here may well contribute to this share being so lovely to pay the bandwidth short term trading game with. I don't know the data but can imagine that the price needs to drop more for someone to unload some shares same as the price needs to rise more to acquire some. Not to claim any markets are natural in the 21st century but we can't pretend there is only healthy trading action on the long side. Are there any stocks with more cult-like would-be donors? I see well-off Tesla owners say it into their vlogging camera "I consider my newly bought share a donation to Elon's cause".

On here someone recently posted that a smart person can still do stupid things, referring to you-know-who. The post exclusively received disgree ratings. On a flipping investors' round table thread! This is the kind of thing I would need to show to people to believe it. Or they might guess I was talking about Tesla.