Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone partitioned out exactly where all the one-time costs break out? Does the majority of that 188M$ hit the S/X because it is the only one with actual resale guarantees right? I'd like to try to figure out the exact ASP/COGS of S/X and 3.. no one around here seems the least bit interested in actual analysis but you need it to figure out what is required for profitability going forward.

Does this mean +121M$ to net gross profit hit should all go to S/X (probably not -- the used/service loaner would also be 3)?

There's also a 44M$ restructucting charge in op.ex. That leaves a 23M$ unexplained delta (188 - 121 - 44). What is that and where does it go?
I'm definitely interested in the analysis. We've gotten bits and pieces on it but it's been a while. Last June, 5,000 model 3 per week was the breakeven point, according to Elon. I'm curious what it is now with the lower ASPs but presumably improved production efficiency. It's more difficult to hone in on because of the international pipeline and the necessity to grow the inventory a lot. Seems like it is now 6,000+ perhaps, but I'm not sure. A separate thread for the analysis you are requesting would be great.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
There is new suspension too.

It was suggested by Neroden earlier that maybe ramping up the new model took longer than expected, during which time they had already stopped production for parts specific to the 75 and they didn't want to start up again. Alternatively, perhaps they had reduced orders on long-lead parts for the older S/X design in general (not just for the 75) and didn't have enough time to order more after learning of delays to the new design. There are lots of possibilities. It certainly could just be a distraction from low demand specifically for the 75 model, but there is likely some element of production delay too, as Zach stated this clearly on the conference call and mentioned that it would take until Q3 to get back to full production rate, which suggests that there are still some production issues now.

Neroden could be right, or maybe they figured the hangover from the end of full tax rebate would be a good time to take the hit. Elon likes to go all in, so not as much a bet the company move as the Model 3 rollout, but still taking the hit to the SX sales this quarter probably minimized the sales loss, but maximized the short term impact in a single quarterly report. The upside is that sales for the SX should close to normal trend in Q2 and Model 3 International line adjustments are also complete. Just getting SX sales back to 22,000 should get production back to 75,000. Maybe the production issues will keep SX under 20,000 again this quarter, but it sounded like they were past the Q1 problems, just not at full production. I think the delays getting the International Model 3 processes might have been the bigger surprise, more than the SX production change. Looking forward to Q3 for Model 3 solving the battery cell production & mix for International cars for the 3 and skipping the wave and all its logistical short comings should make adding 15,000 more Model 3's to the channel also easier then it might have seemed at first glance after the earnings letter came out. Adding 15,000 cars in the quarter is only about 170 more cars a day, or 6 cars an hour. Adding 300 cars a day is 27,000 additional cars for the quarter and a another car every 5 minutes and a car every 1.8 minutes. Having the International assembly issues solved will eliminate customs holdups, and should mean they can mix assembly for a global mix every day. That reduces the load on logistics and sales.
It would be helpful to know if they are solving some of the original line automation tasks? If they resolve one automation task, they eliminate one step in the tent and that should mean more cars without more staff. With Jerome in charge of manufacturing, I imagine a more deliberative focus on solving issues. Not slow, but more focus on process.

Oh man. I owned a Zune, and I loved it.

Excellent video. Too bad it won't be seen by a lot of people.

"can he build the infrastructure"

Seeing an Audi dealership turn into a Tesla store near me, plus reading about other large service centers opening... it appears they are on the right track.

I owned each generation of Zune :confused:. Pretty decent devices overall, but largely didn’t live up to their potential. And then, of course, the iPhone just completely invalidated that whole market.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Beaver
Oh man. I owned a Zune, and I loved it.

Excellent video. Too bad it won't be seen by a lot of people.

"can he build the infrastructure"

Seeing an Audi dealership turn into a Tesla store near me, plus reading about other large service centers opening... it appears they are on the right track.
ETron = Zune. THAT was pretty funny.

Has anyone partitioned out exactly where all the one-time costs break out? Does the majority of that 188M$ hit the S/X because it is the only one with actual resale guarantees right? I'd like to try to figure out the exact ASP/COGS of S/X and 3.. no one around here seems the least bit interested in actual analysis but you need it to figure out what is required for profitability going forward.
Are you following the Finance thread ?

Near-future quarterly financial projections

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
OT
Were you also able to drink gin and tonic by putting it into a water bottle while driving?
I just encountered *false* road closed signs left over from road work which was not being done any more.

Good luck automating figuring THAT one out.

If you have near real time raffic data sourced externally then you can probably figure it out.

Unfortunately no.
nope.png