Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, no... you’ll be able to go along such a route without touching the wheel until you run out of battery. Once you leave the freeway to charge, you have to manually navigate there.
OK, 20 total minutes of self navigation. The point is......it can be done.

And technically a Model X with a custom 800kWh battery on a trailer could do it nonstop.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maitri982
Just as you feel I have missed your point on your first post, you have completely missed mine.

The point is that Tesla's appeal goes far beyond financial "standards". What we, in our generation, see as important are of little relevance to the next generation. Tesla is gearing their business model to the expectations of their FUTURE clientele...not mired down in satisfying the expectations of the PAST.

Dan
Young people and children nearly universally LOVE Teslas. Mine go nuts, event their friends do. Plenty of adults compliment the car but it's hard to imagine this love from younger people going away.

Nice unbiased, even-handed Barron's article...bolds are mine:

Despite the lower profits, BMW (ticker: BMW.Germany) management is ramping up spending on research and development, reiterating the company's commitment to vehicle electrification. R&D spending in the first quarter amounted to 6.2% of sales, above management's long-term goal of 5% to 5.5%. In 2017 and 2018, BMW respectively spent 6.2% and 7.1% of sales on research and development.

BMW's growing commitment to autonomous driving and battery development is increasing competitive pressure on Tesla (TSLA). Even as the American electric-vehicle maker ramps up production of its new Model 3 sedan.

The back story: BMW, in many respects, is already Tesla's chief competitor.

A nicely appointed BMW 5 Series sedan, comparable with the TeslaModel S, retails for about $70,000. A BMW X5, comparable with the Tesla Model X, retails for about $70,000 before adding options. And the lowest-priced BMW 3 Series sedan retails for about $40,000. That BMW price point is one important reason that Tesla targets $35,000 for its base-level model 3 sedan.

In the category of "Stuff that should just not happen"

Chris: So by the end of the year, you’re saying, that someone is going to sit in a Tesla without touching the steering wheel. Tap in “New York”, off it goes.

Elon: Yeah.

Chris: Won’t have to ever touch the wheel. By the end of 2017.

Elon: Yeah essentially November or December of this year we should be able to go from all the way from a parking lot in California to a parking lot in New York. No controls touched at any point during the entire journey.

Applause

Chris: Amazing. Part of that is possible because you’ve already got a fleet of Teslas driving all these roads. You’re accumulating a huge amount of data of national road system.

Elon: Yes. But the thing that was interesting is that I’m actually fairly confident it will be able to do that route even if you change the route dynamically. So it gets it’s fairly easy… If you say I’m going to be really good at one specific route, that’s one thing, but it should be able to go, really be very good, so once you enter a highway, to go anywhere on the highway system in a given country. It’s not sort of limited to LA or New York. We could we could change and make it. Seattle-Florida, that day, or you know, in real time. So you are going from L.A. to New York now go from L.A. to Toronto.
@Maitri982

233,500 lights, eh.
Culture influenced Mr Musk

And the lowest-priced BMW 3 Series sedan retails for about $40,000. That BMW price point is one important reason that Tesla targets $35,000 for its base-level model 3 sedan.

3 Series sales are down by 1/3 year-over-year since Model 3 was ramped. So.....

Despite the lower profits, BMW (ticker: BMW.Germany) management is ramping up spending on research and development, reiterating the company's commitment to vehicle electrification. R&D spending in the first quarter amounted to 6.2% of sales, above management's long-term goal of 5% to 5.5%. In 2017 and 2018, BMW respectively spent 6.2% and 7.1% of sales on research and development.

BMW's growing commitment to autonomous driving and battery development is increasing competitive pressure on Tesla (TSLA). Even as the American electric-vehicle maker ramps up production of its new Model 3 sedan.

A nicely appointed BMW 5 Series sedan, comparable with the TeslaModel S, retails for about $70,000. A BMW X5, comparable with the Tesla Model X, retails for about $70,000 before adding options. And the lowest-priced BMW 3 Series sedan retails for about $40,000. That BMW price point is one important reason that Tesla targets $35,000 for its base-level model 3 sedan.

I don't disagree that the two are competitors with one another. I do take issue, however, with the premise that anything BMW is doing with regard to autonomy and battery development right now is "increasing competitive pressure" on Tesla.

The fact that BMW is changing its plans in response to Tesla's presence in the marketplace is all you need to know to understand which company is the one applying the competitive pressure.

I love how it's reversed. In the past, people would have written Tesla into that role - the way it's written it almost makes it sound like Tesla is the established, mature automaker, and BMW is the renegade upstart ;)

Maybe you missed the part that S&X vehicles produced before 5/1/2019 require a 330 Euro retrofit before they can use the adapter. So it seems that the hardware is inside the car and not the adapter.
No… hence my point about new vehicle side support beyond software being needed.

I'm questioning if the car modification is:

- Updated charge port that provides power to allow a smart adapter to translate CAN to GreenPHY

or

- Updated car electronics to natively speak GreenPHY

I don't get why they wouldn't bring this to market. I think a lot of owners would by it, no? Would be rather profitable...?

Seriously seems a no-brainer.

My guess is that they are trying it out in the EU, and will work on resolving CCS communication problems, etc. before they go about designing and producing the NA CCS adapter. It may, also, give them more information on the up-take rate for the retrofit. (Though the charging markets are different enough that I don't think you could apply that information to NA.)

I love how it's reversed. In the past, people would have written Tesla into that role - the way it's written it almost makes it sound like Tesla is the established, mature automaker, and BMW is the renegade upstart ;)

And concomitantly when are we going to see this in an article?

"Tesla's growing commitment to autonomous driving putting pressure on MobileEye, Waymo, Uber and Lyft"

Just as you feel I have missed your point on your first post, you have completely missed mine.

The point is that Tesla's appeal goes far beyond financial "standards". What we, in our generation, see as important are of little relevance to the next generation. Tesla is gearing their business model to the expectations of their FUTURE clientele...not mired down in satisfying the expectations of the PAST.

Dan
I think the culture is more set by Elon than anything else.

VW is selling EVs now if you want a more corporate culture.

OT
If there's anybody here that hasn't read Iain M. Banks' Culture series, then I urge you to do so. You will see where Elon gets many of his ideas and on top of that enjoy the best science-fiction of our generation.
I’m on the last book. It is one of the best series I’ve ever read.
My favorite ship name so far, Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill.

Boy...hard to say. There are always macro events that control the market (e.g. china trade war) that can overcome even very positive news. I would suggest if you believe in the TSLA thesis than you look at longer time horizons and not worry about shorter term ups/downs. if you are swing trader and good at it than you are smarter than me as there are forces\people that control short term pricing that know more about what the general investor will do than the investor does.

If you are day trader...good luck...better chance with that then swing trading IMO...but still hard.

Upcoming events?
  • Deliveries for Q2...if they hit their projections that is excellent. No one seemed to believe them at analyst level
  • Progress on Gig factory 3 to the point they are fitting it out with equipment in Q2 would be great
  • Semi/truck news
  • Some big update to cars with more FSD features
  • GF4 announcement? could depress stock though
  • stop having 10 year olds run the corp twitter account...this could cause huge jump in price :p
I am sure others can come up with things I missed.

Potential (likely best case) Tesla upcoming timeline:
  • Final Model Y production location. This week?
  • Maxwell acquisition completion. Mid May?
  • Advanced Summon + other significant software updates - End of May?
  • Insurance product launch - End of May?
  • GF3 external construction complete. End of May?
  • GF3 cell suppliers announced. May/June?
  • Q2 deliveries - Start of July
  • Q2 results - Late July?
  • FSD code beyond the capabilities of the AP2 computer. 2-3 months?
  • Pickup Reveal - August
  • First Model 3 production at GF3. September?
  • Q3 deliveries. Start of October.
  • Q3 results. Late October.
  • >1k per week Model 3 production at GF3. Q4?
  • 2H19 - FSD update (possibly with V10)- Stop signs, traffic lights and city streets with human supervision.
  • 2H19 - V10 software? Tesla Car Karaoke, Video streaming.
  • 2H19 - Model Y tooling begins at GF1 or Fremont
  • 2Q-4Q20 - Model Y hits volume production.
  • 2020 - Semi & Roadster production. Pickup production?
  • 2H19/2020 - European GF4 announced?
  • 2H20 new cheaper car model reveal (compact?).