Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At such production rates the market for ride sharing could be satisfied rather quickly. Especially if not the whole world is on board allowing a car to make a driver with a job redundant. A simple little law that every vehicle needs a licenced designated driver will ruin RoboTaxi and all competing initiatives.
All they do is try and replace one or more jobs per commercial vehicle on the road. Sure there are costs to be saved, but to use such a business model (pushing millions of low wage workers into unemployment, as would Tesla's production accomplish) to market the very pinnacle in automotive tech...seems a waste. And for now, it's actually a stretch.

When there are multiple FSD operations live, it will be a good time to still have a market of people who will actually drive their next car. Tesla seems ready to alienate all customers away from them.
Yes - something to be considered.

Currently there are a million Uber, Lyft drivers and likely they are the first ones to get replaced.

But, I suspect the changeover is a slower transition and not a overnight switch. It is likely Uber & Lyft drivers start buying Teslas as they get closer to FSD and they will put their cars on the network. So, there may not be much of a replacement that happens in the beginning.

• Helpful
Reactions: 30seconds
Shares that are not part of the float can’t easily be traded they are generally restricted, owned by the company as part of employee compensation plans, owned by insiders etc. your shares are part of the float because technically you can sell the shares at any point without delay when the market is open. It does not matter what your intent is just if you can.

Meaning employees and Mr. Musk and such can't sell without delay?
Little knowledge here, just curious.

Tesla is not instituting this policy everywhere.

Most are likely in California, Norway and Chinese cities.

In other words, very busy supercharger stations.
The 80% appears to be overridden if you are going further. What I have an issue with is the idea of charging more as you get closer to 100%, because from previous posts it appears that the 80% has been implemented across the board (at least on holiday weekends). Implementing a surcharge across the board penalizes everyone who travels in areas that are not even close to being filled out with SCs.

Even if fsd is a few times safer, people will feel that fsd is unsafe because the media will focus on fsd deaths. The fud will be incredible even if fsd is 10x safer. At worst, legislation will kneecap fsd evs.
Media FUD only works so far. When people see lot of robotaxis going around and their friends using them, they will use as well. Seeing is believing and will always trump media stories.

I also remember Elon saying they were planning a max 500k capacity.

I think anything over that number is pure speculation, and likely not helpful. Unless I see any real sources of info.

This source says 250k/year in phase 1, combined Model 3+Y output:

That's ~5k/week for phase 1 - it would be 20k/week or 1m/year once all four phases are completed, where expansion will be subject to total demand of China, India, etc.

This 20k/week total capacity figure is lower than 30k/week, but twice as high as the 10k/week, 500k/year figure, and does come with sourcing.

Yes, happened to me yesterday. I was at the Manhattan Beach supercharger, got the message that charging stopped at 80%. But I wanted a full charge, I was going to drive my family around before putting them on a plane back to Oz and then driving home to San Diego. So I just adjusted the limit to 100% and it started again.

Same for me in Greenville, SC. It showed 80% max on my phone, but I was able to raise it to 90%. The SC was busy, but no wait.

Media FUD only works so far. When people see lot of robotaxis going around and their friends using them, they will use as well. Seeing is believing and will always trump media stories.
Yes, there's countless horror stories about crashed airplanes but people keep flying.

FSD enabled Teslas will also likely drive around fully functional with people getting used to the tech a year or two before it's legal to remove the driver.

Reactions: capster
Just saw an Elizabeth Warren post promoting the ‘musk rakes in $2.3b’ story. What’s a good write up to post as a reply.

I think the best reply is that he was paid not by extracting cash from the company, but was paid in Tesla stock, and that he promised to not sell his stock but use it to improve our civilization and is keeping his promise: Elon Musk has not personally sold Tesla stock yet in any significant quantities, ever.

So this does not enrich Elon Musk but is benefiting the planet.

He deserves it since he's doing more to change the world than anyone else on the planet.

I like the "if and only if he makes $615B+ for his investors while decarbonizing our economy and cleaning our atmosphere."

Go after the aholes on Wall Street making 10s and 100s of millions while their companies are losing money.

Don’t underestimate the importance of this Friday’s announcement in China. It’s a surprise as suggested but it’s going to be epic IMO.
Isn't it likely the completion of the Shanghai factory structure? That seems like the most obvious to me. I don't understand all the rumors circulating about some mysterious reveal possibly happening in China. That just doesn't make sense to me, and I would not have any expectations of something like that.

Samsung initially agreed to deliver batteries for just over 20 gigawatt hours, enough to power 200,000 cars with 100 kilowatt hour packs, before different views on production volume and schedule emerged during detailed negotiations, said the people, who asked not to be identified as the talks are confidential. The impasse cut pledged supplies to less than 5 gigawatt hours, they said.

This translates to 50,000 cars for VW then.

Reactions: Mike Ambler
This is a possibility, although a Signature Model 3 in Shanghai would be inconsistent with launch of US Model 3 production, nor with the cost cutting objectives of Model 3 production. But the graphic has and messaging is very similar to previous "unveilings".

Suppose they were in fact to unveil pricing and begin taking orders for GF3 vehicles. Would that even make sense given that Chinese customers can already order both Model 3 and Model Y on Tesla's existing website? It would certainly be newsworthy if the announcement did at least reveal new pricing.
If I understand it correctly, Shanghai would only produce Model 3 SR+(and Y SR later).

There is no intention of lowering the price just because it was locally built.

In that case there is no point of having a “signature” batch, unless they cost the same.