Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was Tesla I would have a monthly contest for the person who could create the best home made commercial for Tesla. The winner of the contest could win a free model 3. The amount of PR and free advertising for this would be thru the roof via social media. The cost to Tesla - 12 model 3 cars. Hell - they can even be demo cars.
Yeah! The winner judged on click through stats to Tesla purchase.

I think the solar roof delays (we have quite a lot of info on this) are primarily due to time. Well, that is what Elon has indicated quite convincingly before — need to test the product and it requires time. But will have updates on the tech sooner or later. One of our writers has been consistently on the topic.
I'm pretty sure ALL delays due to time. :rolleyes:

Yeah this bothers me. Elon is being ideological about it. Advertising likely has some low-hanging fruit and the first 10 million dollars could go a long way. Most contrarian positions are wrong, they are just extremely profitable when you pick one that happens to be right. I don't see any deep reason why Elon would have insight into the productivity of advertising spend. It's not an engineering discipline.

I totally agree.

Current marketing approaches are great, but they are very different from traditional advertising and reach a different audience.

If we want older people who are less active on social media yet have money and would like to drive a safe, high-performance, American car to find out about Tesla or have confidence that it's a "real" company, I think some TV advertising could go a long way.

It's simply making people aware of a product that they don't otherwise hear about because the are 7 full connections away from Kevin Bacon.

Paying for advertising would negatively impact the bottom line which would negatively impact the stock price, with no guarantee that they would suddenly get enough positive articles to counteract the FUD. Tesla cant outspend the established industries rallied against them.
Yes - I don't think advertising on traditional media to counter FUD works well. May be auto specific publications - but not general media.

But targeted online ads to convert leads to sales, guaranteed to have great ROI.

That other group is full of willfully ignorant and that’s why they haven’t decided. It’s not until they consciously decide to no longer be willfully ignorant that they can become brand ambassadors.

Being brainwashed by advertising, which for the most part is a combination of exaggeration and lies is NOT brand perception positive - which is the topic of our discussion here. It’s just temporary brainwashing until something shinier comes along to get their attention.

All those Coke commercials and adverts telling people how good Coke is for them, their relationships, their lives in general and polar bears only works until some sexy, hot chick drapes herself over Dale Earnhardt’s race car and passes him a Mountain Dew.

People in that other group are fickle. They’ll buy the trend but they do nothing positive for the brand UNTIL they decide to be open to and consciously seek knowledge beyond quick Google headline searches or a 30 second commercial.

The fourth group of people is the next generation. Fortunately, they’re on the ball about Tesla. They are the ones who will be deciding brand perception in the near future.

There are also many rational people willing to make logical choices but who are not on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc.

They may well get their news from TV. But that doesn't necessarily mean they have a real block against Tesla.

The important thing, imho, is that this population is very different than the current Tesla market yet is also attracted to the things that make Teslas great.

Run a few TV ads for a while and see how much that wakes up people who have learned very little about the company, if anything.

Remember that a HUGE portion of Tesla sales are still in California. In many other places, it's hard to even see a Tesla in a parking lot.

OT.

Mars needs a magnetic field, not GG'ing SUVs.
Be careful about letting that idea get out. I can just imagine Elon's response...

"I could bore a hole to the center of Mars and install a bank of Powerwalls fed by some solar tiles on the surface. Then all I have to do is provide a large current down there that would generate the magnetic field. Hmmm. I can have it working late next year."

I lament the fact that FUD and combating FUD has come to as prominent place as it has on this thread. But it unfortunately does seem to have become relevant at this point to an investors roundtable. I try to avoid stepping into the debate online because of its often polarized and vitriolic nature, but I read an article today that I just could not let pass without posting a response.

Here's the article, in case others wish to respond.
Why Bloom is Off Environmental Rose for Tesla and Other Electric Vehicles

it's not all that hard to find my response (it's the really long one), but I can't seem to find a way to link directly to it, so am including below. (Now would be a good time to skip to the next post if you don't want to read something that's long). And while you'll see that I'm not an unadulterated fan of Elon or the Paris Agreement, I think it does its own small part to balance the one-sided narrative.

- - - - -
I come to the Daily Signal because it serves as a voice of reason. But it has badly, and sadly, failed here. At its best, the Daily Signal is an antidote to news that begins with an ideological premise and then gathers up an appropriate collection of "facts" to reach a pre-ordained, foregone conclusion. This article, however, serves as a cautionary tale that even the best intentioned efforts can still fall into the very rhetorical trap which it seeks to counter.

Anyone that has read my writings knows my libertarian, traditional virtues orientation. As well as my disdain for using climate change (whatever the nuances of the scientific data and models) as a trojan horse for big government intervention. But I drive a Tesla Model 3, and it is not because I am one of those "Tesla owners [who] sip their lattes at the Supercharger" or a "wealthy environmentalist." I don't even drink coffee, and a quick glance at my bank account woud disabuse anyone of the notion that I am wealthy.

I drive a Model 3 for a different set of reasons. Based on data from the IIHS, its occupants are safer in a crash than every other car ever tested [https://www.tesla.com/blog/...]. Think about that for a moment. This has nothing whatsoever to do with climate change, or whether one is left- or right-leaning. Its total cost of ownership is comparable to a Toyota Camry (my previous car) or Honda Accord [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]. And while I am disappointed in Tesla's selective use of statistical data to justify how safe its autopilot features are, even its informed critics view it as having by far the most advanced self-driving features available to the public [ https://insideevs.com/news/...]. As a driver I would never even consider going back to a non-autopilot car, as when it is used as intended, it makes me a far safer and less-stressed driver than left to my own devices. None of these things have to do with climate change.

In addition to ad hominem attacks that seek to stereotype and demean Tesla supporters, the author employs a mix of selective facts and confounding Tesla with other electric vehicle efforts to make his case. For example, a lengthy section of the article talks about the problems with sourcing cobalt, an ingredient in some batteries. First, Tesla sourcing is well documented and very sensitive to child labor issues. Second, Tesla usage of cobalt in its batteries is the lowest in the industry. And finally, Tesla is moving quickly to a battery that uses zero cobalt. That's zero as in none. [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]

Next, to the environmental impact of using electricity from the U.S. national power grid. This is well-trod ground but the best available data leads to just the opposite conclusion the author wishes to draw, both for marginal per mile usage [https://afdc.energy.gov/veh...], as well as in considering the complete life cycle, from manufacture to disposal [https://www.ucsusa.org/clea...]

One could go on about the viability of the company (Hint: it's going to be just fine), "the federal government pouring money into companies such as Tesla," and other misrepresentations, but this response has already gone on too long.

The interested reader can check these other points by simply spending some time on google and reading more than one side of the argument. Let me instead conclude with two points of caution. First, I agree with the author completely when he says "it’s more important than ever that we get to the truth." But the way of truth is humility, something in short supply in most polemics. Humility sifts through a variety of sources to get a balanced view of the facts and theses. As a scientist by training (Ph.D. in physics from Stanford) I am reminded of Sir Francis Bacon's caution about the true nature of science "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."

Second, my antennae go up whenever I hear an argument from the left, or the right, that seems to relish in schadenfreude, rather than treating presumed opponents empathetically, giving them the benefit of the doubt as to motives, and assuming that they are thoughtful but perhaps not well informed. Searching for hypocrisy in others does not have a great pedigree [https://www.lds.org/scriptu...]. David Brook's recent book, Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt, is highly recommended here.

I'd be happy to get together over lunch with the author to hear him out, and then go for a ride together in my Model 3.
- - - - -

Last edited:
Choose no panel gaps. Choose a manufacturer with a lot of dealers near by. Choose a ****ing thick paint. Choose a HUD, foot-operated tail-gate, and electrical tow-hooks. Choose three years free oil changes, tire rotations and free winter tire storage. Choose the same old mind-numbing boring stuff that kills the planet, stuffing it full of Co2. Choose rotting away at the gas-station, pushing your last dollar into the petrol pump. Choose our demise.... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose demise. I chose something else. I chose the future:

With "commercials" like that. nothing else matters.

Choose no panel gaps. Choose a manufacturer with a lot of dealers near by. Choose a ****ing thick paint. Choose a HUD, foot-operated tail-gate, and electrical tow-hooks. Choose three years free oil changes, tire rotations and free winter tire storage. Choose the same old mind-numbing boring stuff that kills the planet, stuffing it full of Co2. Choose rotting away at the gas-station, pushing your last dollar into the petrol pump. Choose our demise.... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose demise. I chose something else. I chose the future:

OK although at least half the US population believes the climate change message is nonsense. Teslas are good cars that stand on their own with or without a climate change message. Of course there are also many people who believe the climate change message and that's a powerful reason to go Tesla. So I guess the answer would be different ads that make an effort to align with the audience of the medium.

But I don't believe traditional commercials are the best use of Tesla's funds at this time. Google ads yes, and a much better Tesla web site, and a daily media message as part of a stronger PR initiative, and I like the idea about home-made ad contests. There is a lot that can be accomplished without buying TV commercial time which is expensive.

Totally disagree with the climate change angle. Tesla needs to be promoted on its own superiority as opposed to some politically charged issue. No way.

Be careful about letting that idea get out. I can just imagine Elon's response...

"I could bore a hole to the center of Mars and install a bank of Powerwalls fed by some solar tiles on the surface. Then all I have to do is provide a large current down there that would generate the magnetic field. Hmmm. I can have it working late next year."
three months maybe, six . . .

• Funny
Reactions: dc_h
Things change.

The way I understand situation with M3 production (from @DaveT info) is that massively automated line is as expensive to maintain, as is building cars much more manually in tent. Plus, there is all sunk cost that needs to be amortized, and is screwing up COGS.

I could have misunderstood that. But if not, fundamentally, one quick write-off of $2-3B (the whole M3 prod. line) could be all we need to clear books, and offer different, better vantage point into operations - though I'm not sure if that's possible based on accounting rules. One time write-off may hurt, but WS is usually understanding if that clears air. This opens another debate, concerns re Tesla's ability to win through automation; but I doubt that angle would be too damaging, and I'm sure Tesla will eventually evolve their experience into a win.

Or you know, EM could borrow 1-2B by pledging SpaceX shares, and buy 5-12M shares, I'm sure that'll put floor under SP ;)
We must be approaching levels where he and Board are ready to do something a bit more substantive than twit and write emails.

EDIT: Huh, I meant this post to be optimistic; yet, Engineer in me wants to put in all disclaimers, and yeah, I diluted message.
Message is: things are not even remotely as bad as SP indicates, and there are many ways forward that will validate Tesla's future.
Shanghai GF will follow the model of a simple line and will try to avoid the mistakes of the earlier overly-complex Model 3 lines.

My coworker are asking me if I feel safe having my Tesla park in my garage due to spontaneous combustion. My dad is advising me to not us AP due to it killing people. The brand is being damaged. In fact elon's going private email specifically said the reason to go private is because teslas brand is being damaged.
You are basically saying that your co-worker and your own father trust the advertising more than they trust you!! What a dystopian world!

God, I don’t want Tesla to contribute to what Noam Chomsky calls “Manufacturing consent”.

I lament the fact that FUD and combating FUD has come to as prominent place as it has on this thread. But it unfortunately does seem to have become relevant at this point to an investors roundtable. I try to avoid stepping into the debate online because of its often polarized and vitriolic nature, but I read an article today that I just could not let pass without posting a response.

Here's the article, in case others wish to respond.
Why Bloom is Off Environmental Rose for Tesla and Other Electric Vehicles

it's not all that hard to find my response (it's the really long one), but I can't seem to find a way to link directly to it, so am including below. (Now would be a good time to skip to the next post if you don't want to read something that's long). And while you'll see that I'm not an unadulterated fan of Elon or the Paris Agreement, I think it does its own small part to balance the one-sided narrative.

- - - - -
I come to the Daily Signal because it serves as a voice of reason. But it has badly, and sadly, failed here. At its best, the Daily Signal is an antidote to news that begins with an ideological premise and then gathers up an appropriate collection of "facts" to reach a pre-ordained, foregone conclusion. This article, however, serves as a cautionary tale that even the best intentioned efforts can still fall into the very rhetorical trap which it seeks to counter.

Anyone that has read my writings knows my libertarian, traditional virtues orientation. As well as my disdain for using climate change (whatever the nuances of the scientific data and models) as a trojan horse for big government intervention. But I drive a Tesla Model 3, and it is not because I am one of those "Tesla owners [who] sip their lattes at the Supercharger" or a "wealthy environmentalist." I don't even drink coffee, and a quick glance at my bank account woud disabuse anyone of the notion that I am wealthy.

I drive a Model 3 for a different set of reasons. Based on data from the IIHS, its occupants are safer in a crash than every other car ever tested [https://www.tesla.com/blog/...]. Think about that for a moment. This has nothing whatsoever to do with climate change, or whether one is left- or right-leaning. Its total cost of ownership is comparable to a Toyota Camry (my previous car) or Honda Accord [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]. And while I am disappointed in Tesla's selective use of statistical data to justify how safe its autopilot features are, even its informed critics view it as having by far the most advanced self-driving features available to the public [ https://insideevs.com/news/...]. As a driver I would never even consider going back to a non-autopilot car, as when it is used as intended, it makes me a far safer and less-stressed driver than left to my own devices. None of these things have to do with climate change.

In addition to ad hominem attacks that seek to stereotype and demean Tesla supporters, the author employs a mix of selective facts and confounding Tesla with other electric vehicle efforts to make his case. For example, a lengthy section of the article talks about the problems with sourcing cobalt, an ingredient in some batteries. First, Tesla sourcing is well documented and very sensitive to child labor issues. Second, Tesla usage of cobalt in its batteries is the lowest in the industry. And finally, Tesla is moving quickly to a battery that uses zero cobalt. That's zero as in none. [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]

Next, to the environmental impact of using electricity from the U.S. national power grid. This is well-trod ground but the best available data leads to just the opposite conclusion the author wishes to draw, both for marginal per mile usage [https://afdc.energy.gov/veh...], as well as in considering the complete life cycle, from manufacture to disposal [https://www.ucsusa.org/clea...]

One could go on about the viability of the company (Hint: it's going to be just fine), "the federal government pouring money into companies such as Tesla," and other misrepresentations, but this response has already gone on too long.

The interested reader can check these other points by simply spending some time on google and reading more than one side of the argument. Let me instead conclude with two points of caution. First, I agree with the author completely when he says "it’s more important than ever that we get to the truth." But the way of truth is humility, something in short supply in most polemics. Humility sifts through a variety of sources to get a balanced view of the facts and theses. As a scientist by training (Ph.D. in physics from Stanford) I am reminded of Sir Francis Bacon's caution about the true nature of science "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."

Second, my antennae go up whenever I hear an argument from the left, or the right, that seems to relish in schadenfreude, rather than treating presumed opponents empathetically, giving them the benefit of the doubt as to motives, and assuming that they are thoughtful but perhaps not well informed. Searching for hypocrisy in others does not have a great pedigree [https://www.lds.org/scriptu...]. David Brook's recent book, Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt, is highly recommended here.

I'd be happy to get together over lunch with the author to hear him out, and then go for a ride together in my Model 3.
- - - - -

FYI, there is an update to the UCS study
New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner