Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When on a trip, you are charging in order to be able to drive. MPH is the only meaningful charge metric relative to trip charging when comparing vehicles. I don't care in the least whether other vehicle X charges at a higher power rate than my vehicle for the purpose of comparing charge speed--I care how long I need to charge in my Tesla vs in the other car I'm considering.

And when comparing how long I need to charge, I'm going to calculate how long I need to charge in order to make the next leg of the trip--in other words, how long to gain a certain number of miles.
But the MPH on the charging screen doesn't tell you that because it starts at a really high average (because the kWh are high) and then goes down as the rate decreases.

When on a trip, you are charging in order to be able to drive. MPH is the only meaningful charge metric relative to trip charging when comparing vehicles. I don't care in the least whether other vehicle X charges at a higher power rate than my vehicle for the purpose of comparing charge speed--I care how long I need to charge in my Tesla vs in the other car I'm considering.

And when comparing how long I need to charge, I'm going to calculate how long I need to charge in order to make the next leg of the trip--in other words, how long to gain a certain number of miles.

I hate this so, so much. Last time I checked, electricity is not measured in miles per hour. Do not obfuscate what the car is actually doing by showing me a figure that is the result of a bunch of black-box calculations. Tell me the kWh rate.

Wow, up 4.9% and looking strong.

More and more Tesla news at the moment is about heightened levels of manufacturing & deliveries. Perhaps this is translating to an increase in demand for shares... or perhaps some shorts are trying to close their positions before the storm - when Q2 deliveries are announced.

While we're on that subject... any speculation as to the date of the news release? TSLA has typically done horribly during July 4th week. I am guessing after-market Wednesday July 3rd... so the news can be digested prior to Friday trading.

Sorry for me MPH is the most important metric. As that shows overall efficiency and travel speed.
We must be talking past each other because mph while driving is important, but mph while charging changes as the rate of charge changes. It starts very high, and then decreases. Of course, this should be on it's own thread, not in investments

I think the company won't stop there. Autonomous tech and superior batteries will make possible all kinds of other vehicles and robots, from electric jets (Elon said he has a design) to delivery drones and humanoid robots. Tesla can keep growing and conquering new markets for many years, and the stock will reflect that eventually.

A tsunami of hurt is coming for the shorts, again.
Sustainable energy is very broad. Even sustainable transportation like you mentioned includes airplanes, even sustainable rockets and submarines if I'm being facetious. Anyways lots of possible paths. Don't dismiss non-transport sustainable energy as a driver of human betterment. We all win with sustainable energy companies growing.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Higher kWh always gets faster charging. The mph number is really kind of meaningless.

I wouldn’t say meaningless. I took a road trip to California last week and had to choose between the S and 3. Even though the S and 3 can both charge up to 150kw on v2 Superchargers, the 3 gains more miles range per minute charge. So I took the 3. I was missing that air suspension on some rough roads though...

You sure they weren't ICE'd (NB side)? Was only there once, and had to wait for one of the spots to "Unfreeze." Never took note of the charge rate though, never really care as long as it's high enough when I leave the car. That parking lot is a zoo...
I was northbound. There were two ICE'd, but one quickly volunteered to shift into an open non-EV spot so that I could use the Tesla spot.
FWIW - according to TeslaFi, I was able to add 42kWh (146 rated miles) in 25 minutes to increase the battery from 21% to 72%.

I'm typically care most about being able to add plenty of range in a realistic amount of time.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
Don't focus on mph for charging speed. Focus on KWh. Higher the KWh the better. A model LR, SR and an X are all charging at the same speed when they are charging at the same kWh, although they may show different mph.

Disagree. KWh only matters if you’re using your car as a home battery or for AC while camping or something. For driving, what you’re actually getting is miles of range. Looking at kWh is like looking at ounces of Alcoholic beverage, without paying attention to whether it’s beer, wine, vodka or 151.

Yes, but I care about range per unit time. The vehicle efficiency matters to me.

But vehicle efficiency is independent of "charge time" and variable based on vehicle.

Think about the comparison people are used to (and detractors often poke at BEV's for): filling up your gas tank.

It takes the same amount to time to pump 20 gallons in to a 15 MPG truck as it does in to 50MPG hybrid. How efficient the vehicle is with that fuel is "after the fact", and determines how far you can go.

In the same way, the direct comparison is how long it takes to transfer XX kWH of energy in to a 3, S, or a Leaf. How efficient the vehicle is with that energy is after the fact and determines how far you can go.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say meaningless. I took a road trip to California last week and had to choose between the S and 3. Even though the S and 3 can both charge up to 150kw on v2 Superchargers, the 3 gains more miles range per minute charge. So I took the 3. I was missing that air suspension on some rough roads though...
True, but you can only drive one car at a time, so the time it takes to charge depends on the car you are currently driving. What the other car gets isn't material once you've started to drive.

Is it? I always see direct correlation between kW/h and m/h on the screen while charging.

m/h charging is so much easier to understand for average user. It answers a simple question - after charging for an hour how far will I be able to go?

kW/h only answers that if you're a power user, really.
The problem with is that using this metric is not a direct comparison of charging rates/capability.

Example: The Model 3 is a smaller vehicle, and despite the fact they both have the same more efficient motors now, the S will likely always use more power per mile for locomotion. As such even if the S is upgraded to the same 250KW charge capability as the 3, it will always be inferior if rated on a miles added per minute basis.

If a small econo-BEV is efficient enough, it's possible that it's miles range addition at 150KW could be superior to an S at 200 or 250KW.

Simply put, miles-per-minute is a measure largely influenced by vehicle efficiency, not just charge rates.