Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Innocent mistake or manipulation and FUD? Look at the circled link in the pic below. This is today’s news feed in the iOS built in stock app. Click on that link and it takes you to an article dated March 28, 2018 (thank you @Hock1 for clarifying the year was 2018 not 2019 -- even worse!). It never ends!

IMG_1076.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly, I fully agree with both of you.

I'd just add that the "corruption" on the editor end might be simple personal bias. Remember, if they don't have an EV, they probably don't think an EV makes sense. Why that is can vary greatly.

The issue of horrible media coverage is something we've been trying to deal with for years. I think it was actually the original Broder story that really got me covering Tesla. (Guess we can thank Broder for that.) I'm not thrilled with the approaches we've taken and I'd rather not be too combative, but we also have to call *sugar* out (neroden style).

I think Max does a great job of polite but sharp. But any further suggestions for what we can do at CleanTechnica are welcome from everyone who has an opinion.

Hey, I object to a corrupt editor changing my preferred word to *sugar*.

Last edited:
This is today’s news feed in the iOS built in stock app. Click on that link and it takes you to an article dated March 28.

It's in Yahoo headlines too. The headline is dated today, the article is dated March 28, 2018.

Maybe @tinm should call Yahoo and politely explain that we're in 2019.

Last edited:
i think it was excellent effort to go back and track the writer down and try to get to the bottom of it and explore some common ground. that should not be overlooked, and thank you!
i agree there’s many cases where one single person is not to blame. it’s the system, the organization, the structure of some media outlets, and the business model. so somewhere in the middle is where i sit. i admire a real journalist. i’ll admit i was tricked into believing there was a lot less of those until i read your comments and realized it’s the system they’re stuck in that has become increasingly sucky due to the way power and $ control the organizations. but where is a pissed off, underutilized, talented journalist going to go if stuck in that situation? it’s either provide for yourself or you family until you can find something better with more journalistic freedom, or starve? not much choice there. we don’t all have the luxury of being able to exercise every righteous inclination at will.. i found a lot of good points made from the OP and the responses.

—————-

that said, sentiment in tesla coverage varies by piece topic and organizational intent of providing that content in the first place.

there’s pro-green (mostly pro-tesla) outlets...

these are more than offset by the “generally benevolent” media actors, who couldn’t care less. maybe they’re mentioning tesla to get a quick hit of attention or because a particular story became viral. but it’s not really great or horrible, most non-informative, and clearly they’re just capitalizing on tesla being a hotly debated topic. no value added.

but the last type of tesla’s news actors are more deliberate, premeditated, and harmful.

the smear and the hit pieces to manipulate the outcome of tesla or tsla.

there’s a clear difference. whether it be single person, whole organizations, system failure., whatever you want to point the finger at per piece of content

it’s clear, apparent, and getting stronger at each critical stage of tesla growth. also undeniable.
it may not be the majority of total news coverage but it’s sure the loudest, and that compounds the problem. ignoring it also strengthens its impact.

From our research, it's the bulk of coverage at the ~24 biggest media outlets frequently covering Tesla: Pravduh About Tesla Archives | CleanTechnica

I think there are a few reasons. Some may have overall corruption at play (would not be surprised if this is the case at BI or CNBC). Others may simply be in a sub-culture that has absorbed anti-Tesla talking points and think they are real, so repeat them often. Others may simply be chasing clicks or may be resentful for one reason or another. Almost across the board, I assume they don't "get it."

Again, the question I think @tinm and others are struggling with (myself included) is how to break through and get more people to understand the full story well.

At least it's just Suisse, can't be huge numbers. SR+ delivered in NO, so EFTA ok and I think Elizabeth S's car is an SR+ and she took delivery, so EU is OK.
Whether it has an impact is also likely affected by where they were assigning the SR+ from the Grand Mark. From where we're looking, not many assigned to locations all too far from Zeebrugge (except for Norway) -- they really would prefer these delivered than stuck on trucks or Delivery Centers at the end of the quarter.

If they knew they couldn't deliver these in Q2 in Switzerland I expect them all to be dumped in inventory in the "other" countries and be picked up for delivery this week -- there are still VIN-less SR+ orders in e.g. the Benelux.

That would make the impact essentially zero (but would p-ss off the Swiss. Never p-ss off the Swiss!)

If OTOH they had already trucked these into Switzerland or done the paperwork to import these into Switzerland, it's worse for Q2 numbers, since historical precedent seems to indicate that once a car is shipped to country X from Zeebrugge that's where it stays (even if that was actually a mis-ship and the VIN had been assigned to a poor soul in another country!)

Last edited:
Again, the question I think @tinm and others are struggling with (myself included) is how to break through and get more people to understand the full story well.

Explain to people (yourself included) what is happening and why. It's not difficult to understand. The powerful are using propaganda to defend their interests, as they always have and always will. Denying that is like denying climate change.

Explain to people (yourself included) what is happening and why.

And understand that it's gonna get worse.

If Tesla succeeds in their plan to switch on full self-driving in a million customer EVs, they could bankrupt most automajors almost immediately and start generating robotaxi profits of billions per week. That's enough capital to build dozens of gigafactories and replace the ICE car industry, not just disrupt it.

Tesla is an existential threat to Big Auto and Big Oil, two of the most powerful industries on Earth. These industries are waking up to the threat now, and they will do anything in their enormous power to delay or derail Tesla's plans. Stop expecting fairness and goodwill from industries that have been knowingly destroying the climate for decades.

Does anyone know why Yahoo Finance is surfacing click-bait BS from March and publishing them as new stories?

Tesla 'On The Verge' of Bankruptcy: Vilas Capital
A whole bunch of news pieces from 2018 published in Investopedia got "updated" today, so they got picked up by the algorithms and pushed into the newsfeed... It's a mixture of both positive and negative stories, as well as unrelated crap (SpaceX to fly the first private customer around the Moon in the BFR)... if it's a targeted campaign, it's pretty dumb.

Edit: it seems someone at Investopedia has pressed the wrong button(s), there are old stories from them popping up in newsfeeds for a whole bunch of stocks... my guess is this is accidental and it will be remedied sooner rather than later. It does, however, reinforce how easily and "innocently" one can change the narrative (and the SP) on a stock on any given day.

Last edited:
From our research, it's the bulk of coverage at the ~24 biggest media outlets frequently covering Tesla: Pravduh About Tesla Archives | CleanTechnica

I think there are a few reasons. Some may have overall corruption at play (would not be surprised if this is the case at BI or CNBC). Others may simply be in a sub-culture that has absorbed anti-Tesla talking points and think they are real, so repeat them often. Others may simply be chasing clicks or may be resentful for one reason or another. Almost across the board, I assume they don't "get it."

This is a simple process, but time consuming.

1. Find an EV expert with credentials to be a quotable source who can communicate well and speak on the record. People with leadership titles and have important roles like founder, ceo, or inventor in EV related industries are good. (eg. “The Maxwell acquisition may increase the range of Tesla cars by 20% and reduce cost by thousands of dollars,” says Sam Smartbat, chief scientist of the EV Foundation. “Since range is the #1 concern of consumers, this will be a game changer for them.”)

2. Find PR coordinators to contact editors, set up meetings between experts and reporters, track editorial calendars, pitch story ideas, and ensure the expert stays relevant. News organizations want ideas for good stories, and want to write about “first”, “new”, etc. This needs good judgement and communications that is timely, relevant, aggressive yet polite, not excessive or overbearing.

3. Engage communities like this to source news to PR, comment on published stories, promote them, and send emails to the reporters on what you liked or didn’t. If editors see a story gets a lot of interest, that means more stories and contact in the future.

It’s basically a coordinated communications effort to establish rapport and credibility between the experts and reporters, and PR coordinators and the editors.