Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't those TSLA related links actually ads placed via paid Google placement or something? Could somebody with such an advertising account - Google Adwords or whatever it is - just as easily arrange for a pro-Tesla ad to go there? Just wondering if that's how that works, not suggesting anyone should actually do that. Certainly not advice.

Sure, retargeting is easy. A website tracks your visit when a google tag embedded in the web page is loaded. While you're visiting other sites, google can track you and the advertiser can show ads to target ads to you.

Someone *could* do the same thing for pro-Tesla ads, but it costs money for the clicks and Tesla doesn't advertise. There's no one else would pay the millions each month for ads to the Tesla FAQ.

Unrelated news, I've increased my holdings in TSLA stock today ahead of the weekend. Let's see if anything interesting happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Antares Nebula
These people are not conservative, but they are right-wing. I cannot comprehend their attitude. The best I can I guess is that they just think of their kids as toys to play with or tools to use, and don't care what happens to their kids after they die.
And that is a long standing standing attitude among some/many conservatives. I had an acquaintance in the mid to late '60's that didn't believe in social safety nets. I asked him what would happen to his family if he were to suddenly die without those programs in place. He just shrugged it off and said "That's the way it is." I suspect his income was such that his social security was already capped.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Elon supports a tax rate in the 40%-ish range, which is more than twice than the ~19% tax those with $10m or more are paying in the U.S. at the moment. He called "lower than 40%" and "higher than 50%" counterproductive, i.e. his range is 40-50%.

If you want to call that libertarian then most of Europe is libertarian. :D
A tax rate or an income tax rate.. Doesn't Elon make his money from capital gains?

OT,

I have plenty of conservative friends and relatives, all of whom are loving parents and care about their kids and about the future of their kids and their communities.

Humans are perfectly capable of maintaining cognitive dissonance between their character, their political/tribal beliefs/affiliations and reality, indefinitely. :D

The "I don't care what happens in 30 years" reaction is often an expression of the belief that it will all be fine and is going to work out, either through industrious (and free) people, or through a higher power. It is also an expression of the belief that it cannot possibly work out through the demonized entity called 'government' - which belief is sometimes irrational, but sometimes also based in facts. ;)
Michael Crichton’s assertion was “technology will find a way”. I interpret that atd(partially) Tesla.

Reactions: neroden

That’s encouraging.

Looks like this brings the count down to “only” 10 states that totally ban Tesla direct sales. Looks like 9 states allow only a small number of stores/dealers (Colorado only allows 1). And looks like there are 10 states that have opened up for Tesla sales since 2013, six of those since 2017.

Anyone have a cool color-coded map?

Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

Aren't those TSLA related links actually ads placed via paid Google placement or something? Could somebody with such an advertising account - Google Adwords or whatever it is - just as easily arrange for a pro-Tesla ad to go there? Just wondering if that's how that works, not suggesting anyone should actually do that. Certainly not advice.
Sure, that could be how they end up at the top of the Google page when bringing up NASDAQ:TSLA "search", but the article itself is more what I was objecting to - a pro short article slash investment entity ad, served up on nasdaq.com as "official" content (via a 3rd party content farm).

IMHO Nasdaq.com shouldn't be posting opinion / analysis of anything and instead be a neutral party in the market. If that article was only posted to InvestorPlace Media (or anywhere else) I would still potentially disagree with it based on it's position on TSLA and whatever points it's trying to make, but as long as it's not positioned in such a way as to appear to be officially endorsed by NASDAQ that's fine with me.

no good news for tomorrows movement, unless you want to add more shares. Credit Suisse PT $189

Tesla initiated with an Underperform at Credit Suisse TSLA - The Fly
Seems they are more interested in Volkswagen being a competitor than acknowledging the actual gap in software, battery and performance. I think what they are getting wrong is that they believe there will be this magical catch up mode by the competition when in reality the growing pains that Tesla experienced will be seen from the competition as they move into production.

Tesla’s X factor is obviously Musk. Nobody is putting in the time on this that he is. It’s like that quote from Tom Brady about the competition being able to beat him. He says something along the lines of “they have to give up their life, because I’ve given up mine for football” I think a lot of these companies going electric are going in half assed and are in for a rude awakening. It’s not as simple as throwing money at the problem.

If you’re going to go electric as a consumer then you go with the company that does electricity right and that will be Tesla for some time

What up wit da Schwarzenegger ad about electric cars not even showing a Tesla?

Weak, dudes. Weak.

Good strategy. Stops the Tesla haters rejecting it out of hand. Stymies any accusation that the ad is simply Tesla fanboiism/propaganda.

Meanwhile, the chance of somebody buying an EV without considering a Tesla is approximately zero.

Explain to people (yourself included) what is happening and why. It's not difficult to understand. The powerful are using propaganda to defend their interests, as they always have and always will. Denying that is like denying climate change.

I totally agree that they are in these ways: The Tesla Smear | CleanTechnica

However, I think there is too much conspiratorial thinking about journalists and even editors. I think they have been duped, but I don't think they are financially corrupted (in most cases) by advertising* or direct benefits from short sellers. There's a big difference between those possibilities when it comes to how we should respond.

*Edit: I still contend that editors are generally separated from sponsorships/ads in most cases — until someone shows me strong evidence otherwise.

Last edited:
Final assembly line, S/X body line was never shown during factory tour.
Interesting -- they showed us both body lines during the factory tour a few years back (though they went very quickly past the X line compared to the S line).

It appears that during the Raven update they probably closed the original S body line and started making Ses on the X body lines, though I have found *no definitive proof of this* -- it's a combination of educated guesses based on scraps of evidence. It could be wrong. I'd still love to know for sure. But it's interesting that body lines were off the tour as of last October...

Humans are perfectly capable of maintaining cognitive dissonance between their character, their political/tribal beliefs/affiliations and reality, indefinitely
Sure. To me, that defines their character, though.

The "I don't care what happens in 30 years" reaction is often an expression of the belief that it will all be fine and is going to work out, either through industrious (and free) people, or through a higher power.

Oh, the "magic will fix it" attitude. OK, I understand that attitude. It is essentially stupidity, but I *understand* it.