Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird price action indeed, which doesn't correlate with any macro news event either in the U.S., European or global space. It's also in contrast with the capping of yesterday and early today.

I.e. it seems to be an entirely Tesla specific price move.
The skeptic in me wonders if it's a repeat of yesterday to draw in trading longs and then hammer it down. We are continuing to trade in a narrowing wedge pointing at next week.

Biological systems are much more energy efficient than robotic systems, so that idea will move us in the wrong direction. A male human needs 2500 kcalories per day which is 2900 Wh per day, or slightly over 100W. Try making a robot that can do anything a human can do within a power budget of 100W.

Speaking of robots, note that Andrej Karpathy in his recent ICML talk said “At Tesla we work on robots, we have a robot Model S, X, and 3 out in the wild”. :)

From "Calls of the day" on @CNBC - remind me which manufacturers are increasing and which are decreasing sales/market share...

Credit Suisse initiated Ford as ‘outperform’
Credit Suisse said it sees Ford shares as having upside as the company works to reimagine its business.

“The central theme of our launch is “The Two Clocks,” reflecting the industry challenge of concurrently balancing cyclical (the “near”) and secular challenges (the “far”). Given the concept was originally cited by Ford, it is only fitting that Ford is the textbook case for our “two clocks” framework. Ford faces a number of risks ahead, as it redesigns its business to address profitability, while concurrently pursuing a longer-term reimagining of the business. Yet we see upside for the stock, as there have been early signs of improvement with more to come. ”

Credit Suisse initiated General Motors as ’outperform
Credit Suisse said GM has done a good job in balancing both short and long term concerns.

“The central theme of our launch is “The Two Clocks,” reflecting the auto industry challenge of concurrently balancing cyclical (the “near”) and secular challenges (the “far”). While this challenge is especially relevant for automakers, when evaluating GM on this framework, we believe it is one of the best players in our coverage in balancing the ‘near’ and ‘far,’ offering a compelling narrative on both fronts. ”

Credit Suisse initiated Tesla as ‘underperform’
Credit Suisse said Tesla is likely to “settle as a niche automaker.”

“To best understand Tesla’s prospects in its push for electric vehicles (EV) proliferation, we believe it’s worthwhile to compare it to an auto industry incumbent – most appropriately Volkswagen (VW). With both Tesla and VW committed to EV proliferation, the Tesla vs. VW debate could be relevant for the next decade or more. Tesla currently leads in areas that will likely define the future of carmaking. Yet it faces risks ahead – reflected in our below-consensus estimates. And despite growth ahead, we believe Tesla is likely to settle as a niche automaker. ”

Read more about this call here.

From "Calls of the day" on @CNBC - remind me which manufacturers are increasing and which are decreasing sales/market share...

Credit Suisse initiated Ford as ‘outperform’
Credit Suisse said it sees Ford shares as having upside as the company works to reimagine its business.
Wall Street always rewards letting employees go, regardless of what it does long term to the company.

Pretty sure the scale of the misinformation campaign,

- in percent of the media participating
- dearth of mass market media calling out blatant misinformation by peers
- years of duration at immense intensity

and,

- drift to nakedly aggressive falsehoods given all of the above

dwarfs anything previously aimed at a specific company before. Others have faced intense fire, but, for merely weeks, or, years of fire, but, amid mixed coverage, but, the combination involving Tesla seems unprecedented.

I think this is a reflection of,

- the scale of the fossil fuel economy’s potential loss of revenues with the changes Tesla can catalyze

- the lack of options for incumbents to compete in product without taking on large existential risk. with competing on product seen as off the table, energy had turned towards ‘smearing,’

- the greatly intensified move from journalism to paid programming over the past few decades

I agree with most points, but not the last about more influence in the media today. Journalism has always had its share of play to pay, and incumbents have always had a strong influence on the media beyond that. At least now, the Internet can call out publications that go too far.

No question about the extent of attacks on Tesla. When so much firepower is directed against them, a stubbed toe for any other company becomes sepsis for Tesla, or so it’s perceived. It doesn’t help that Tesla has a habit of stubbing their toes.

Last edited:
Wall Street always rewards letting employees go, regardless of what it does long term to the company.
Unless it's Tesla.

(I suspect it's actually, growth companies doing huge layoffs are potentially slowing growth, established companies doing huge layoffs are cutting fat. Never mind that it's quite possible to switch the narratives.)

In Norway with 2ish days left of the month 3335 Teslas has been delivered. Compared to 5828 in Mars and 1116 in june 2018.

Pretty good since Mars was an exceptional first quarter with TM3s delivered in Norway.

That gives me an idea for a new product, an intestinal bacteria culture that reduces the carbon footprint of an individual.

When I started eating low carb after a while I stopped farting. :) Or stopped eating whatever made me airy earlier. :confused: No new products needed. :D

Where do it GO tho? After 50 years the individual excretes a diamond?

If you don't create excessive amounts of methane it's nothing there needing a place to go. :cool:

Credit Suisse initiated Tesla as ‘underperform’
Credit Suisse said Tesla is likely to “settle as a niche automaker.”

“To best understand Tesla’s prospects in its push for electric vehicles (EV) proliferation, we believe it’s worthwhile to compare it to an auto industry incumbent – most appropriately Volkswagen (VW). With both Tesla and VW committed to EV proliferation, the Tesla vs. VW debate could be relevant for the next decade or more. Tesla currently leads in areas that will likely define the future of carmaking. Yet it faces risks ahead – reflected in our below-consensus estimates. And despite growth ahead, we believe Tesla is likely to settle as a niche automaker. ”

Read more about this call here.

The company that is #1 in luxury car sales is poised for growth, has yet to begin production of its small SUV or pickup (BY FAR the largest segment in the industry is light trucks & SUVs), and they're projecting they'll be a niche player.

That's some amazing logic right there.

Here is an interesting result from AI and deep learning.

The first AI universe sim is fast and accurate—and its creators don't know how it works

Pardon an analogy, but researchers use it: "'The real shock was that D3M could accurately simulate how the universe would look if certain parameters were tweaked—such as how much of the cosmos is dark matter—even though the model had never received any training data where those parameters varied.

'It's like teaching image recognition software with lots of pictures of cats and dogs, but then it's able to recognize elephants," Ho explains. "Nobody knows how it does this, and it's a great mystery to be solved.'"

On topic comment: I wonder if this technique might be used to analyze markets?

Off topic comment: Is this result confirmation the universe is a simulation and that's why it's such a speedy answer? Just food for thought.

15 a day at Paramus NJ, they actually can’t sell anymore since they have no inventory and all the demos/showroom models are accounted for
Austin service center showroom is empty too

Attachments

• 20190627_103151.jpg
    20190627_103151.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 76