Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still can't wrap my head around seamlessly and casually the doubters moved their goalposts from "Tesla as no demand, $10 price targets etc." to "They won't quite hit their record sales goal so that's a disaster".
That's because you think in a rational manner.
Sit on your toilet with a toothbrush in your mouth for a while ...that should do the trick.

"We choose to go to the Moon" is the famous tagline of a speech delivered by John F. Kennedy at Rice Stadium in Houston, Texas on September 12, 1962. Kennedy's goal was realized on July 20, 1969, just 6.86 yrs later.

Tesla brought the first FSD chip to market in just 3 years. Tell me again what is possible to accomplish in 10 years, 10 years from now.

25 years ago viable fusion energy was believed to be 25 years away. Today viable fusion energy is believed to be about 25 years away.

Whatever happened to critique Cory Johnson? I never see him anymore
I was wondering about the same thing and wanted to ask here but couldn't recollect his name. I believe he was in CNBC or is it Bloomberg?

He had this very whiny tone, and repeated the same thing over and over,

"look this company has never made a profit, sales are falling, competition is catching up, blah blah blah.."

Reactions: JRP3 and tander
Global Investor Insights - Abra

Crypto community loves Tesla:
upload_2019-6-27_21-22-26.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-27_21-21-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-27_21-21-38.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 47
Yes, a lack of excess black powder has probably stopped us all at one point, haha. And I suppose it also determines how much black powder do you mean when you say you have a lack of it? Enough for one share? Ten? A hundred?

I know my paydays are the first and fifteenth of each month, and so the possible 4th drop may be helpful for me to save a bit. xD But maybe not.

I see ownership in a company as a spectrum of risk/reward, from most conservative to least:
convertible bonds -> stocks -> options

If you own shares and feel the SP is significantly underpriced and likely to correct soon, you can convert a portion to leaps. If the SP goes up as expected, you can sell the leaps and convert back to shares with the profits giving more stock. This means you almost always have dry powder if the stock is way down.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hock1
Saw this in the electric vehicles side of the forums but thought it's so shocking that I'd figure I would post it here. Not sure if it already got posted. Crazy to watch BMW essentially give away future market share and act like they don't give a damn.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/nobody-wants-evs-says-bmw-119190/

That interview and BMW's attitude is simply shocking. I don't short any stocks because I don't agree with shorting stocks in general, just don't really think it's ethical. But damn it's tempting not to short BMW when they openly state their position. It's crazy to watch in real-time, the denial of a company what was once viewed as a trend setter in automakers. I guess it's time to start a countdown clock for BMW's eventual collapse???

When I'm in doubt of selling, I just pick a bit higher price. 50@$223.5 was my sell order. We'll see...
I still have shares I bought a few as high as $380 during the whole $420 private thing. That's why it's so hard to sell, (but it would round my holdings down to exactly 1,000 shares, and I like even numbers).

Wow, I could sell them today, holding strong.
When's the Tesla announcement, (or range of dates expected)?
Maybe I'm selling too early... (I do this every single time, damn it)

• Disagree
Reactions: Hock1
From "Calls of the day" on @CNBC - remind me which manufacturers are increasing and which are decreasing sales/market share...

Credit Suisse initiated Ford as ‘outperform’
Credit Suisse said it sees Ford shares as having upside as the company works to reimagine its business.

“The central theme of our launch is “The Two Clocks,” reflecting the industry challenge of concurrently balancing cyclical (the “near”) and secular challenges (the “far”). Given the concept was originally cited by Ford, it is only fitting that Ford is the textbook case for our “two clocks” framework. Ford faces a number of risks ahead, as it redesigns its business to address profitability, while concurrently pursuing a longer-term reimagining of the business. Yet we see upside for the stock, as there have been early signs of improvement with more to come. ”

Credit Suisse initiated General Motors as ’outperform
Credit Suisse said GM has done a good job in balancing both short and long term concerns.

“The central theme of our launch is “The Two Clocks,” reflecting the auto industry challenge of concurrently balancing cyclical (the “near”) and secular challenges (the “far”). While this challenge is especially relevant for automakers, when evaluating GM on this framework, we believe it is one of the best players in our coverage in balancing the ‘near’ and ‘far,’ offering a compelling narrative on both fronts. ”

Credit Suisse initiated Tesla as ‘underperform’
Credit Suisse said Tesla is likely to “settle as a niche automaker.”

“To best understand Tesla’s prospects in its push for electric vehicles (EV) proliferation, we believe it’s worthwhile to compare it to an auto industry incumbent – most appropriately Volkswagen (VW). With both Tesla and VW committed to EV proliferation, the Tesla vs. VW debate could be relevant for the next decade or more. Tesla currently leads in areas that will likely define the future of carmaking. Yet it faces risks ahead – reflected in our below-consensus estimates. And despite growth ahead, we believe Tesla is likely to settle as a niche automaker. ”

Read more about this call here.

If anyone wants to read the full reports, they are available on E*Trade to all customers.

Saw this in the electric vehicles side of the forums but thought it's so shocking that I'd figure I would post it here. Not sure if it already got posted. Crazy to watch BMW essentially give away future market share and act like they don't give a damn.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/nobody-wants-evs-says-bmw-119190/

That interview and BMW's attitude is simply shocking. I don't short any stocks because I don't agree with shorting stocks in general, just don't really think it's ethical. But damn it's tempting not to short BMW when they openly state their position. It's crazy to watch in real-time, the denial of a company what was once viewed as a trend setter in automakers. I guess it's time to start a countdown clock for BMW's eventual collapse???

that article is phenomenal. When they make a 'big short' style movie about the collapse of the ICE car companies, I expect this to be a key, and hilarious scene in it. BMW are so screwed.

The company that is #1 in luxury car sales is poised for growth, has yet to begin production of its small SUV or pickup (BY FAR the largest segment in the industry is light trucks & SUVs), and they're projecting they'll be a niche player.

That's some amazing logic right there.
It seems that the Credit Suisse analyst's core argument is that Tesla has nowhere near the production prowess of VW or other large incumbents. That may be true today, at least in terms of production volumes, but Tesla has a history of learning quickly. Personally, I have to say that I've been impressed by the overall build quality and reliability of our Model 3 which was built in Sept. 2018. It's dramatically better, quality-wise, than our 2012 Model S (which is still a fabulous car). The key today is to increase battery production, but that's not a challenge unique to Tesla!

The Atlantic had an article on EV's today. It would be nice if they would work with people like Zach and publications focused on EV's and sustainable energy. The article is a great example of a fair report that will make many Forum members blood boil. The article is focused on people to whom EV is a newish concept and providing remedial information. People who are "in the club" will have more insight, but this will seem like a balanced report about the decision between a blackberry and an iphone.
I do think these articles are great, as they raise awareness and make the EV choice more obvious over time. As people do their own research, they will generally choose Tesla due to technical capabilities and pricing. Some people may choose a Leaf or Ioniq or have some brand affiliation, but Tesla will win more times than not, based on capabilities.

Electric Cars Still Face a Major Roadblock
That article focuses excessively on older, used EVs with very limited range. I wouldn't call it a fair report.

It also mentions that the author's electrical main panel is full, thus precluding the addition of a 240V circuit, but how many people have this problem? Even if they do, it's often possible to replace an existing breaker or two with a half-size one, or perhaps remove an unused circuit or two. It's not usually a big problem. No, it's not a fair report, IMHO.

25 years ago viable fusion energy was believed to be 25 years away. Today viable fusion energy is believed to be about 25 years away.
The canonical statement on fusion energy is "Fusion is 30 years away, and always will be."

The Sun is just 90M miles away, and its free.
(Why are you looking here for Monty Python vidz?! :p)

Cheers!