Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should note that the net loss is lower than the depreciation & amortization total; so the positive cash flow is NOT just due to inventory / accounts receivable / accounts payable timing; it's due to prepaid expenses. This means the positive cash flow WILL continue (until they have to write off or replace equipment, at least).

...actually, net loss minus stock-based compensation (which will never be a cash cost) is under 200K, while depreciation is 578K. It would be better if they were producing *slightly* more cars, maybe 2500 more per quarter, so that net loss minus stock-based compensation was always positive. They'll be there very soon.
----

Emphasis by Zach that the capital expenses are lower this quarter NOT for one-time reasons, but SUSTAINABLY. This is a big deal.

He believes they've broken through the "fixed cost barrier" where volume is high enough to cover the fixed costs consistently. (This is the big issue for any economies of scale business.)

Last edited:
BS. "Trading shares" are nothing more than a justification for a gambling instinct. You will never, in the long run, beat buying and holding.

Depends on the stock as well as your definition of "long". I started investing in Tesla in 2015. My short term trades have been paying our Tesla loan payments. My core long-term play....well, like I've been saying, a CD or index fund would've done better.
But many of my other stocks have not been the same phenomenon.

Ouch! They lost J.B. :-( He'll still give advice, but he's no longer handling day-to-day things.

NOW the stock has a reason to drop.

...OK, JB is "on call", basically. I think he got tired of the punishing pace and wanted to do something else, but if they need his advice, he'll always answer. Drew is taking over the day-to-day.

Ouch! They lost J.B. :-( He'll still give advice, but he's no longer handling day-to-day things.

NOW the stock has a reason to drop.
I don't think he was doing much day-to-day last few months, anyway.

When they announced Deepak leaving after Q4, SP temporarily when down $15. Now its down $5 ($240 to $235).

Emphasis by Zach that the capital expenses are lower this quarter NOT for one-time reasons, but SUSTAINABLY. This is a big deal.

Yep, Model 3 expansion is beginning to be fully paid for - the $249m capex this quarter was very low already, probably mostly China and service & SC expansion related.

There's also this tidbit in the update letter:

"Our 2019 capex is expected to be about $1.5 to $2.0 billion, a reduction from prior guidance."​

Grohmann acquisition starting to pay off big time.