Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just occurred to me, unless I missed something, that the earnings call shed no light on the leaked Jerome email about production at Fremont, either via forward-looking statements or analyst questions.
You totally missed. Tesla is now targeting 8K/week in Fremont for the Model 3 by end of this year.

My progress is fully documented here Tesla Solar Journey

April to end of June pretty much

https://electrek.co/2019/07/24/tesla-solar-power-system-24-hours-ordering-online/
He ordered a 4 kW system online for $11,400 before incentives and to his surprise, Tesla installed the solar system within 24 hours.
The system is not online yet since it needs to be approved by a city inspector and the local electric utility, but Tesla’s part is done

My personal experience:
1.Install was 2 days and like 3 weeks after ordering.
2.Overall process and duration are not really all on Tesla, needs coordination with County officials etc.

* CA advocating all new buildings have solar -

Sunshine + Solar+ EV = EVolution ... cheers!!
(SP didn't support getting powerwall for me :( )

Depth chart for this morning:

tsla order book depth chart 072619.jpg

More production -> More sales -> Profit > Employee stock goes up

I am long TSLA but disagree that the stock will go past 300 any time soon.

It was a bit "facetious" IMO for Elon to say FCF will be positive except for launch or ramp of new products. Tesla has been launching or ramping products constantly for the last 5 years and will continue to do so for the next 5. He's basically saying FCF is up in the air as well.

I have a lot of faith in Tesla's future though, but I don't think the SP will move past 300 until Q2 2020.

Just musing on demand. There is a demand problem. There is not a demand problem. To be fair, both are right.

1. There is a demand problem. Tesla keeps dropping prices because they can’t sell all their EVs without discounting. This hurts margins. The more cars they sell, the more discounts they’ll need. They'll be forced to drop prices even more. Absolutely true.

2. There is no demand problem. Tesla is ramping up production as quickly as they can and sells cars as fast as they make them. Customers see the value, so they’re willing to pay more for a Tesla than any other car. But current prices are at the limit of affordability for the quantities manufactured so Tesla discounts to make them affordable enough at maximum production.

The first wants Tesla to be like Ferrari. Charge a premium to limited buyers, and make big margins. This puts dramatically fewer EVs on the road, which coincidentally aligns with fossil interests and short term investors.

The second wants Tesla to be like Ford circa 1910, selling to the masses. This aligns with saving the world aka the mission. Obviously bad for fossil interests.

The big picture includes one more thing, which is up selling software and services. Even if fully autonomous driving never works, Tesla’s mobile platforms aka “cars” have only started to show their full potential.

A good percentage of the market will pay extra for EAP that navigates local roads and summons and performs simple dog tricks. Tesla can add premium services to the radio and monetize app integrations like yelp. They could offer zipcar and Turo style services.

The point is that Tesla can drop prices on their cars *and* upsell software for more margins. Tesla’s integrated mobile platform, cloud, charging network, and backend compared to other cars today, is like the iPhone compared to flip phones back in the 2000s.

I wish Karen the best of luck on Tesla opening sales in Iceland.

In my opinion, SG&A costs go up primarily proportional to the number of countries, languages, jurisdictions, and geographical areas covered. So it does make sense, if Tesla is selling everything they can make in existing geographies (without needing to cut prices), to put off expanding geographically. Unfortunate though it is for those in unserved geographies. Tesla actually expanded sales to geographical areas without providing the necessary service and has built up a backlog of trouble which they are now trying to dig themselves out from under by expanding service centers. So Iceland may not see sales until after North American service is up to its necessary size....

Reactions: Chocochip
Man are your comments w.r.t. Amazon and this post the highlights of your big ideas?

I still stand by my Amazon comments: haven't been swayed by the thoughts presented here.

There wasn't anything technologically complex about what Amazon has achieved in the online retailer business. It has been relatively easy to understand but yes, costly and time consuming to achieve.

Tesla's technological achievements have been 5-10x more complex than Amazon's, IMO.

Tesla Model 3 Cost of Ownership Slightly Cheaper Than a Camry | Loup Ventures

The bottom line: Model 3 is a superior car (electric, safer, Autopilot) compared to a Camry, and is slightly cheaper to own and operate over 5 years

I don't believe it costs $4000 to maintain a Camry for 5 years, but yes, the model 3 is more enticing than ever.

Looks like they just randomly threw in those maintenance costs of $4,000 and $8,000.

My BMW going on 6 years, and my in-law’s BMW at 5 years, haven’t even cost close to $4,000 in maintenance costs. Of course our Tesla’s have cost even less. But, nothing like the discrepancy they’re trying to show.

But, my parent’s 7-year old Odyssey has had less maintenance costs than our Tesla’s though because the Tesla maintenance service, just like with every other luxury automaker, is an arm and a leg compared to likes of Toyota/Honda.

Edit: that comparison is a little funnier now. How in the world is insurance $6k for the Camry but less than that for the Tesla?? If that ain’t some FUD, I dunno.

So, without those unsubstantiated outrageous expenses attributed to the Camry, they basically showed that a Camry’s up-front and overall cost are lower than the cheapest 3.

Last edited: