Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
youtube and netflix while in park should be yet another really powerful sell-point. I'd love it if we could ever play youtube while driving w/ audio-only, that would open up some of my favorite music playlists.
-edit oh and he says "maybe" 2-3 months for truck reveal :D
YX918ci.png

Starlink Please ...

I've talked with people who've done tours since the Q2 shutdown - both lines are still there, there's been no merger.
Thanks, Karen -- you're the first person to verify that they're still using separate Model S and Model X body lines. (Which remains odd.)

In that case they have GOBS of capacity in the body lines; the X line was designed to produce something huge like 120K/year (though it never did) and the S line actually produced around 60K/year. I guess that would match about 15K on one shift. The single GA line is more likely to be the limiting factor on single-shift operation -- but it might also be limited by the paint shop. I've never been sure what the capacity limiter was on the S & X lines; I assumed that body was the limiter because of keeping both lines open (when the X line was also designed to produce S), because otherwise the original S body line is really wasteful. Maybe body wasn't the limiting factor.

In all reasonableness, 18-20k in Q3 in a single shift is not happening. They might (might) see some improvement in S/X line productivity, but Q3 isn't going to see anything close to 18-20k in a single shift, unless Tesla pulls off a minor miracle.
Unfortunately, you're only guessing. I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to two shifts, though.

If you add up their claims of 8300-8600 Model 3 per week and 10000 total cars per week... they're talking 1400-1700 Model S per week. Or, roughly speaking, 18K-20K per quarter. I don't know whether this is planned on one shift or two shifts, of course.

Q2 S/X production rose by only 354 vehicles relative to Q1.

Both Q1 and Q2 must have had extensive retooling downtime -- below 12 weeks of production. Tesla said they would, too. We simply won't find out what their capacity on the S/X production line is until Q3 numbers. If they're as low as Q2 and Q1, that would be an unbelievable miracle of production, a change with zero downtime.

Here is the history of how the SP fared after last few ERs. It shows the prices on the first day of trading after ER, as well as highest and lowest point reached within 12 trading days after ER. In all these instances, the SP either exceeds or comes very close to previous close (i.e. SP at the close of the day just before ER). When the SP has fallen after ER, within 3 trading days, we see the lowest point reached.

This week's SP action is unusual. It fell by the largest % of last 11 ERs. This also meant, the uptick rule is in place, limiting what shorts can do. I think the main reason for the large fall is the raise in SP this month since the P&D. May be a lot of traders expect an beat in ER, just like it happened with P&D. So, we don't know whether SP action next week will repeat the history or will be unusual again.

ER-Q219.PNG

youtube and netflix while in park should be yet another really powerful sell-point. I'd love it if we could ever play youtube while driving w/ audio-only, that would open up some of my favorite music playlists.
-edit oh and he says "maybe" 2-3 months for truck reveal :D
YX918ci.png

with youtube available, tesla could setup a series of videos new owners can reference for FAQs.

Will the streams be as fast as the browsers in the S & X?

Reactions: UncaNed
Found this attack ad on CNBC that seems to contain outright libel:

Safety groups want FTC, state probes of Tesla's Autopilot system–and its marketing efforts

Between repeated claims of “several” fatal autopilot accidents this year(there’s been 1) and false claims that the IIHS report was a survey of “2000 owners”(it was 2000 random people), this article seems to cross the boundary from merely extremely misleading into outright false. Worse, the falsehoods look to be intentional.

Actually, what’s happening here is a huge threat to TSLA. Looks like the new strategy is to try to slow down Tesla’s FSD development by discrediting AutoPilot though lies and distortion of facts. Then proclaiming the “this calls for an investigation”.

I already see the impact of the attack ad, a colleague from Detroit wrote me:

Well it took much longer than I expected, but they (Tesla) are finally getting called to the table for something the legacy autos would have been immediately crucified for, if Ford or Toyota, etc.. would have released “AutoPilot” the way Tesla did, the regulatory and market impact (think Boeing) would have been swift and brutal, I couldn’t understand why Tesla got a pass.

Well it took much longer than I expected, but they (Tesla) are finally getting called to the table for something the legacy autos would have been immediately crucified for, if Ford or Toyota, etc.. would have released “AutoPilot” the way Tesla did, the regulatory and market impact (think Boeing) would have been swift and brutal, I couldn’t understand why Tesla got a pass.

True but there are now multiple OEMs with their own variation of auto pilot. If the regulators go against auto pilot, they might be limiting the other driver assist features also.

Actually, what’s happening here is a huge threat to TSLA. Looks like the new strategy is to try to slow down Tesla’s FSD development by discrediting AutoPilot though lies and distortion of facts. Then proclaiming the “this calls for an investigation”.

How many people were killed before Boeing was forced to ground its planes? How many people have died in a Tesla on AP vs how many lives were saved by AP? How many people were killed in GM cars while GM hid the knowledge that they had malfunctioning ignition switches? Your colleague is clueless.

....“this calls for an investigation”.....
There is already a government division that investigated this in 2017, NHTSA. I am sure they can look again since in 2018 Tesla's data showed auto-pilot to still be safer per million miles driven. While I can sign up for the conspiracy theories as much as the next guy, ALL car manufactures would be effected by a negative decision on driver monitored lane assist systems. GM is already claiming you can drive hands free in certain areas. GM is also expanding the areas by 70,000 miles this year.

A car that is "way better" than an appliance of a car is practically everything. And people who can afford civics and such are mostly looking for reliable transportation for work. There's more to putting a strain on your financials (almost double what you would pay normally) for a better car when you were not a car person to begin with. Only people who love cars even appreciate what better is. I never see people who treat their cars like appliances car people.

You’re wrong.

Teslas are making appliance car people BECOME ‘OMG! I LOVE my Tesla and will never go back!’ car people.

There is nothing more head scratching, intriguing or ’I better check this out!’ for other people than when a family member, friend, colleague etc...were once an appliance car person and suddenly become an I love my Tesla car person.

I just dropped a visiting friend off at the airport. First time seeing a Tesla up close and being driven in one. Not a car person. Mind blown. They are now a real possible potential customer down the road for a Y and/or pickup.

How many people were killed before Boeing was forced to ground its planes? How many people have died in a Tesla on AP vs how many lives were saved by AP? How many people were killed in GM cars while GM hid the knowledge that they had malfunctioning ignition switches? Your colleague is clueless.

I see merits and bogus claims on both sides of the argument.

1. The claims that AP kills and/or injures more people while driving with AP is whack. Completely baseless.

2. Because the aviation industry has been around for much longer than Tesla, the deaths per passenger miles flown is much lower than deaths per miles driven in a Tesla. But, as with any statistics, you can always find a statistic to justify your claim regardless of position.

3. The claim that “Tesla’s names for its assisted driving features could misguide the general public” does make sense. How would a random car buyer rank the following in terms of self-driving expectations without having to do due diligence into specifics of each system and understanding of various autopilot levels: ProPILOT Assist, Super Cruise, Pilot Assist, Sensing, Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self Driving Capability (yes, there are disclaimers of what this option can do when ordering new, but no such wording exists on the existing or used inventory pages).

If Musk’s vision of Tesla is about FSD and robo-taxis, and not as a carmaker, I don’t think other manufacturers will care much whether regulators affect how self-driving is overseen because the other manufacturers are behind in that software technology.

I was thinking earlier today if planes with autopilot still have pilots? Of course they do....

"Early autopilots were only able to maintain a constant heading and altitude, but modern autopilots are capable of controlling every part of the flight envelope from just after take-off to landing."

Autopilot - SKYbrary Aviation Safety

Last edited:
2. Because the aviation industry has been around for much longer than Tesla, the deaths per passenger miles flown is much lower than deaths per miles driven in a Tesla. But, as with any statistics, you can always find a statistic to justify your claim regardless of position.

This has nothing to do with miles flown. @mulder1231 brought up Boeing as an example of a company having a negative market impact from building a product that actually killed people. It is to do with their new airliner that was certified by the manufacturer because there is no real governmental oversight any more and two of those planes crashed killing hundreds without any publicly known cause before anybody did anything about it. The planes deserved to be grounded until a fix was found and the company deserved to pay at minimum a stock hit for putting a dangerous product in the air that actually killed people. If I had a say people would go to prison for that as well as criminal companies like GM that did things that lead to actual deaths.

This "both sides" nonsense is just that, nonsense. Airplane manufacturers and auto manufacturers need regulation. But this "safety concern" is just directed at Tesla because of a vendetta by powerful crooks and conmen. Where's the outrage and investigation of Cadillac advertising "hands free driving" with their "Super Cruise"? But that name and the fact they actually advertise it as such is AOK because the degenerates that persecute Tesla don't give a rat's behind how many people GM kills.

As to the Autopilot name, that has been beaten to death here multiple times and is also a crock and as baseless as the insane claim that AP is a threat to people. Unlike Cadillac, Tesla has not claimed AP is hands free. Blaming the name of the product for stupid people doing stupid things is stupid. But that is irrelevant because shortscum will attack Tesla no matter what the name was because they are liars with an evil agenda to destroy the company. Liars will lie. There is nothing any of us can do about it. Tesla just needs to follow the mission and in the end we all win.

Last edited:
The problem is there's almost nothing short enough to watch completely before Tesla starts charging you parking by the minute.
Maybe Netflix can make new material timed to an average charging session. There are half hour TV shows. When all else fails just play a Sandy Munro Youtube video at double speed.

The problem is there's almost nothing short enough to watch completely before Tesla starts charging you parking by the minute.
hehe true for charging but picking up dinner can be more enjoyable too, why wait in that drive-thru line when you can call an order in(or online) and have it brought out to your car while u soak up the latest episode of Now You Know on youtube.
If I had video editing skills I'd make a commercial out of this clip from the netflix series "Chambers". Uma Thurman pulls up in her X, (pan in on screen automatically logging in to the burger joint's wifi before she even finds a spot), she orders and looks down and netflix or youtube are ready, she loads the show "Chambers" and the scene she's in starts on the screen where she pulls into a burger joint in a model X....