Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA P/S ratio now 1.6 (4.3 one yr ago), versus:

S&P - 1.8
AAPL - 3.5
AMZN - 3.5

The investors interested in P/S are perhaps comparing to Ford at 0.23....

I am curious to know what is the attraction of this metric as an investing tool? It seems somewhat useless on the face of it as it does not take into account either profits/margins or growth rates.

For instance the two individual companies mentioned above have vastly different profitability and growth profiles. Apple has a 21% net profit margin, which generates $76 Billion EBITDA & $55 Billion Net Income, but has relatively flat growth.. Meanwhile Amazon has a 5% net profit margin, which generates $33 Billion EBITDA & $12 Billion net income, but has revenue growth of 20%+

It looks like July has been weaker for EV sales in China post subsidy cuts (which Tesla never had access to).
BYD July EV sales were +16% yoy and -50% mom to 9.5k. PHEV sales were -35% yoy and -7% mom to 6.5k. I'm not sure how much of the subsidy cut was passed on to consumers.
I'd imagine weaker EV players will have performed even worse in China, i think full numbers will be out next week.
It's a great opportunity for Tesla to take market share in China - Tesla can significantly reduce their pricing with local production of GF3 Model 3s while pricing in the rest of the industry is likely to significantly increase.

I am curious to know what is the attraction of this metric as an investing tool? It seems somewhat useless on the face of it as it does not take into account either profits/margins or growth rates.

Most of these simple metrics are designed to be things that catch your eye to filter "potentially interesting" stocks out from the noise, to then look into them in more detail. They're not meant to answer the question, "Is this a good or bad stock?" on their own.

Most of these simple metrics are designed to be things that catch your eye to filter "potentially interesting" stocks out from the noise, to then look into them in more detail. They're not meant to answer the question, "Is this a good or bad stock?" on their own.

There are three good reasons to use a P/S ratio:

1) Sales revenues is a very good indication of the demand for the company's products. Regardless of the gross profit margin, it indicates that the company is making things that the buying public wants.. A company with declining gross revenues may be profitable but in a declining industry or producing products that are no longer in favor. You may make golf clubs and have massive gross margins but if fewer people play golf then what is the future like?

2) Sales revenue is the easiest number to audit. A company may use "creative accounting" to brighten the bottom line - as many Tesla bears have accused Tesla of doing - insufficient warranty reserves etc. but it is very easy to arrive at the gross sales revenues by multiplying the number of vehicles delivered by an estimate of the ASP. Tesla couldn't add an extra $2 billion to the automotive revenues in a quarter without someone noticing that the ASP had soared to an unreasonable level.

3) Like point 1) - a company with growing revenues is a good candidate for a takeover if a buyer perceives the existing management team as being ineffective...so Tesla's gross revenues might attract a buyer who thinks that they have a better handle on the logistics of selling globally.

OT, contact methods:

I don't use my Twitter account, but my microblogging occurs on the Fediverse at @[email protected].

(I don't talk much about Tesla or TSLA there, most people on there despise Tesla (and only one that I know of could actually be called $TSLAQ, most of it's people that actively despise the stock market existing too and wouldn't participate in it even if they had the funds).)

I'm bhtooefr basically everywhere, though.

On topic: Nice to see that the Chinese support their currency....Hope that means talks restart. Yes, on topic as it affects all investments, including TSLA.

Off topic: Just in case I am no longer allowed to post here ( I have been threatened about recent post topics ) I want to say thanks to all of you who make up this forum. We ALL go off topic in the investor's section from time to time and I probably do it as much as anyone. This forum needs people. You take the bad with the good in all of us. We are human and get frustrated from time to time.

Be well all and GO LONG TSLA.....Don't leverage unless you can afford to lose money in the short term. Hope we meet again (longs only on someone's Island renamed '$TSLA'

Al

Ooooh! I hadn’t thought about naming my island; my yacht, yes, of course. Duh! But my island -

Model i?
Flerken Haven?
Dogsbegone?
Short Squeezes Don’t Actually Happen No Matter How Many Times People Say They Will - SSDAHNMHMTPSTW (Hmmm, need a title with more vowel starting words)

Mod: I just want to mention that when we move posts, the message that the poster gets is complete boilerplate that is completely NOT under any control of the moderators, except for the usually short explanation we provide in the middle. We've complained about that wording before. I will complain again. --ggr

Edit: Yes, @neroden is banned. No, it wasn't because of his criticism of Tesla. Now can we let it go?