Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol@abcnews with a hot car rescue taking up 3 minutes of national news the night after covering the Moscow explosion.....

.....no mention of "dog mode"

Shocking
With all the children dying in cars every year Tesla should add an automatic check for weight using the occupant detection sensor if not changed on the rear seats to see if a child is left in a rear row seat when the driver leaves the vehicle far enough to autolock and notify that a possible child has been left in the car to remind a parent to check. What parent wouldn't want a car that can save their child from a horrible death? Make it selectable in settings for people who have dogs or maybe have Dog Mode inactivate the the check.

Last edited:
Porsche reducing price...that's funny! Never going to happen...

They are not reducing price per se but specs.

Everyone is following Tesla's lead here.

Sell top spec luxury BEVs first. Then sell the lower spec ones. This way you don't lose money during the ramp up or lose less money during the ramp up.

Same with Jaguar,Polestar, Audi, Mercedes etc

The problem is that even well written reports currently show EVs charged in "coal country" to be not much better than a hybrid or an efficient ICE car. Most of that is due to the upfront CO2 cost during production. Bringing that down eliminates the last bits of the "EV are not really better for the environment" argument.

People in coal country buy solar cells too. They pay for themselves in a few years. Coal makes more expensive electricity than even natural gas and it's on it's way out. It's uneconomical to build a single new coal fired plant. So do these "well written reports" take the changing composition of electrical generation into account?

I think you are listening to the FUD. Even if the car is charged with 100% coal (which comprises a minuscule portion of North American electricity ratepayers) then BEV is still cleaner from manufacture to the grave. An EV detractor who won't believe that now is not going to believe it just because batteries improved!

They are not reducing price per se but specs.

Everyone is following Tesla's lead here.

Sell top spec luxury BEVs first. Then sell the lower spec ones. This way you don't lose money during the ramp up or lose less money during the ramp up.

Same with Jaguar,Polestar, Audi, Mercedes etc

The issue with following Tesla's method is that Tesla had no competition and didnt have a moving target to try and match on specs and price. All of the competition is going to run into the issue of being unable to match Tesla on both specs and price because they don't have the economies of scale and they don't control their own battery pack and cell supply......if Tesla was content to just sit around a let other catch up, then the competition could have a chance. But Tesla had shown that they'll continually put pressure on all other auto makers.

Porsche is in the difficult position now of releasing the Taycan with even more outdated specs because of the Raven update along with the constant worry of Tesla updating the battery pack at any time to create a further disparity in specs and price.

I could definitely see a scenario happening where Porsche won't even begin shipping the high end taycan worldwide in decent numbers until Q1 2020. They need that version to sell to even try and start making the mid-spec taycan....just like Tesla had to. But Tesla could release an refreshed S at any point in Q1 or Q2 2020 with much better specs at prices that will make the mid spec Taycan unsellable.

Last edited:
With all the children dying in cars every year Tesla should add an automatic check for weight using the occupant detection sensor if not changed on the rear seats to see if a child is left in a rear row seat when the driver leaves the vehicle far enough to autolock and notify that a possible child has been left in the car to remind a parent to check. What parent wouldn't want a car that can save their child from a horrible death? Make it selectable in settings for people who have dogs or maybe have Dog Mode inactivate the the check.

Seat detection does not work due to car seat bases being semi-permanently mouted and latched in.
Cabin overheat protection has provided a level of safety (on the hiot end) for inadvertent occupants since last year.

Tesla Cabin Overheat Protection Put To The Test

EB0onWmWwAAPt9L

I'm not expecting them to because I'm expecting another company somewhere out there that will one day have all 6/6. That day is not today or not even the next 2 years. Until then, Tesla will continue to dominate while CEOs from major legacy manufactures like BMW cries about how no one wants EVs.

I am 99.999999999999% certain there will be more than two automakers in 2030 and 2040.

And 2050. If for no other reason than government fiat.

Japan will have a Champion. China will have at least one Champion. India will have a Champion. France will have a Champion. Germany will have a champion. The USA will have at least Tesla. There is a chance of Franco-German European Champion.

(1)There will be leafs and others that will represent some fraction of EV market share (I don't expect the Taycan to register: its at the high end of the market so numbers just won't ever be that high) but for the foreseeable future I think that Tesla will have a de-facto monopoly.

(2)What may end up happening is that Detroit goes to the lawmakers and the courts to force Tesla to sell cells on an open market rather than consuming all of their own production. Bonus points if they can wrangle it to where a certain number must be allocated for non-Tesla use so they can simply squat on them to slow the transition down.

(3)Of course I hope it doesn't go down that way, but I think you are right: Tesla will not have a monopoly. I'm just hoping that Tesla won't have a monopoly because VW's battery venture goes well and others do their own. That LG really tries to scale their own production up. Maybe China will find the right incentives to make them the powerhouse of alternative energy. But I fear for a future that is bought and sold by oil interests.

1)Taycan is meant to go after Model S not Model 3. ~25k high margin cars per year.
ID.3 and Crozz are targeting markets just below Model 3 and Model Y.

2) I highly doubt this is successful. There is LG Chem and SKI building gigafactories not only in Europe but the USA. The DOJ could go after Tesla after it was a monopoly. Not before. There is really nothing to worry about hear in the present.

3) There is not only VW looking at their own gigafactory but NorthVolt, Samsung SDI, LG Chem, and SKI building in Europe. Not to mention CATL,BYD and other Chinese companies that are building ferociously.

Then again we will here about 2 terrawatts/year on battery investor day. That may make the rest of the worlds battery efforts pale in comparison to Tesla. Somewhere along the line here Tesla will be able to afford more than a few lobbyist and have the ear of more than a handful of Senators.

No, you don't understand. Yes, there are regulations coming into force that require some sort of noise (not engine-like) to alert blind pedestrians at low speeds. But the Taycan (and the BMW i8) also make fake engine sounds to make rev-heads feel at home. Not the same thing at all.

Quote from car & driver:
“Many EVs provide enough deceleration when lifting off of the throttle to bring the vehicle to a complete stop and enable true one-pedal operation. Not the Taycan. Citing the fact that the most efficient thing to do is coast, and clearly not trusting the pedal control of its buyers, Meier said they decided to not offer much regen capability and instead wait to do the majority of regen when the driver pushes the brake pedal. There are two settings, though. The default is none, but a slight amount can be enabled, if desired.”
We Take a Tire-Squealing Ride in a 2020 Porsche Taycan

It is misleading to make the general statement that coasting is more efficient than regen. That is only true in certain situations, like coasting to a stop with plenty of room on a relatively flat road, and then it’s at the cost of average speed.

One pedal driving takes some getting used to, but after a while most people prefer it. It’s a shame Porsche doesn’t think it’s drivers can handle it.

I stand by my statement, despite how you've misconstrued it. I wrote, "Coasting is more energy efficient than regen PLUS re-accelerate", since Porsche's stance was in regards to highway cruising.

Regardless, even the misconstrued statement is still true. Coasting is more efficient than regen. Just sum up all your energy losses in the system. When coasting, aero drag, drivetrain frictional losses, and tire rolling resistance are your only losses. While in regen, you have all of those things plus the conversion losses of converting magnetic flux back into electric current and then storing it into the battery.

So even with one-pedal driving, driving smoothly is the most efficient. It really helps efficiency to try to keep a constant speed by expending only enough energy to overcome aero drag and rolling resistance. Bouncing between regen and acceleration consumes more energy than maintaining a constant speed. Something that autopilot helps with considerably.

Regen is only better than friction brakes. That's its magic role.

Got coal rolled today on way home from hospital. I, of course, took care of the situation in such a way only a Tesla can.
Anyhow. I echo these last few posts. I have been thinking about jack rickArds post, and I have been dipping into twittershere here and there. The time is ticking. Tesla has already won. Model 3 has spawned. Everybody is just taking a while to figure this out. Think much of the media is just media being mainstream, and definitely the general public is still clueless about Tesla. Keep up the fight. I never knew what I was getting into buying shares in a company I thought would change the world. No regrets. Tesla Energy. Cheers.

The amount of epic free ads Tesla gets is crazy on YouTube. It's the totalll opposite of the fud. Amazing the difference. This video is trending on YT rn (someone probably posted already):

This is a really good video of true buddy friendship. Tesla should be really honored to be apart of it.

It’s these type of “ads” that can’t be bought by Tesla. No amount of marketing budgets or big Hollywood style mad men campaigns could match this.

Hits the heart strings in simple, sweet way.