Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT,
On this child sensor thing, the cabin camera might be best as motion detection, and facial recognition capable (which was the plan assumed for ridesharing ID). True, no child deaths yet in Tesla, but it will happen and better to be ahead of it. Great PR move too! Safety bandwagon gets bigger. Software upgrade please...
Just wait until it doesn't do it for once then it's world wide news "TESLA FEATURE FAILURE KILLED A CHILD"

Try an experiment - do a drive with low regen and again with standard regen. Compare the Wh/mi for both trips. It's not about efficiency, it's about whether to capture some of the energy from slowing down in your battery or let it all waste away as heat.
The results from your experiment are not applicable to Porsche Taycan or any other car which has brake pedal regen.

I don't understand why so many here talk like Taycan has no regen whatsoever. Equally misguided is "Porsche thinks their drivers are too dumb for one-pedal". C'mon folks. If you like regen exclusively on the accel pedal, that's great. But why say dumb things when discussing other systems?

For some reason Porsche feels regen on the accelerator pedal won't pass muster with their fanatical core enthusiasts, who are deeply into race track tricks like heel-and-toe braking. 98% of Porsche buyers probably don't even know what heel-and-toe is, of course, much less how to do it. But if the cognoscenti don't bless a new model then the sheep won't buy it. So Porsche is gonna do Porsche things, mostly for reason that make no sense to Tesla fans.

As for efficiency, there are good reasons hypermilers go to great lengths to avoid regen whenever possible and fanatically seek out opportunities to coast. Of course they avoid friction braking, too.

This will all be academic in a few months, anyway, since you'll all be napping while your Teslas deploy optimal regen for you.

Yes, you have to have more ‘feel’ in your foot to get the most satisfaction out of one pedal driving, including the ability to coast - which you can in a Tesla.

A friend has zero foot feel. In a gas car there is this constant speed up, slow down, speed up of just a few mph. It’s so bad it makes me a bit queasy and I’m not prone to getting car sick. In their 3 it’s still there but much less. I don’t know if the 3 has helped them develop some foot feel or if it’s something else Tesla has done to their cars’ reaction to pedal pressure, but I no longer have to tell the friend to pull the **** over so I can drive before I smack you upside the head and then vomit all over you. The 3 has saved our friendship.
Sadly I have solid evidence that inept drivers can induce nausea with constant movement of both steering and accelerator. I drove my P3D for 5000 miles together with one such driver. It was excruciating and dangerous. The only temporary respite was with Autopilot engaged. Bring on FSD!

I still vote for "fake extra tire noise":
  • People who are not crossing roads / parking lots tune tire noise out already
  • People who are crossing roads / parking lots already listen for tire noise.
  • It's a non-grating and universally-recognized sound that says "a car is coming".
I still hope however that it gets to the point where manufacturers are allowed to tie sounds to pedestrian detections (silent otherwise), and optimally to use directional sound.

I like it.

I also hope (but don’t expect) the requirements to be across the board for all vehicles and not just on EVs. Many ICE cars are very quiet at slow speeds, and I smell a rat with regs requiring EVs to make more noise than an ICE car.

Uber: Hold my beer.

View attachment 441684

Still way overvalued.

I honestly feel like IPOing is going to bankrupt them. My guess is that there was pressure to IPO because the orignal engineering team had 10 years on their option grants but had no way to get cash for it. But now that they are a public company the ability to raise money on hopes and dreams is far more difficult if they have nothing to show for it. The stock price is only going to continue to drop unless they raise the price enough to make a profit or if they show a breakthrough in autonomous tech or something. Why would you give this company your money?

Just wait until it doesn't do it for once then it's world wide news "TESLA FEATURE FAILURE KILLED A CHILD"

OT (again),

So my Camera (or audio analysis) idea requires battery power. But add a simple software rule, "don't sleep the computer when people are still in the car" (visually or sound-wise or both). Of course a person sleeping in the car would use a lot of battery, so they could disable this safety feature and get that warning next time they drive "Child Safety Feature Disabled".

Do it Tesla, put the games down for a moment. I literally almost made this same mistake to my 1 yr old son. I was in the work parking lot, in Az, in the summer, and realized that I had forgotten daycare entirely when I looked for my briefcase in the back seat. Wife was sick so this wasn't routine is all.

Sorry Mod, there are so many OT comments here with coasting and all, this one hits home for me and it could certainly affect SP.

"Fed Must Act on Inverted Yield Curve, Credit Suisse's Golub Says" | Bloomberg Business

Forcing the Fed to cut rates? I refer you to my earlier comment re: Racketeering...

P.S. Every single equity listed on the NASDAQ-100 is down right now. TSLA is in #4 Position:
TSLA just moved into #3 place, down 6.17% now​

Bloody Tuesday.2019-08-14.png

Yes, this is a general phreak-out.

Last edited:
First, the CEO and OSTK have had a decades long battle with the shorts.
Yeah, he's a regular Don Quixote.
If this strategy is going to be successful, it will not necessarily be due to the fact that it is a digital share, per se. It will be due to the fact that it is a new security; a security which cannot be delivered to those to whom shares have been shorted. By contrast, if the company paid a stock dividend, in the form of OSTK shares, the shorts could merely buy shares on the open market and deliver them.
It doesn't matter that it's a new security. Companies sometimes attach new preferreds or Contingent Value Rights to their common shares. His trick is issuing a new security that will only trade on a pseudo-exchange he controls. He'll bar shorts from this private exchange, which in his mind will force them to cover. His problem is the real exchanges on which OSTK trades along with the OCC are the ones who decide how to handle this gambit. They have a lot of options which I won't get into, but I'm 99.9% sure it won't play out the way Wacky Paddy fantasizes.

Also, while I doubt the SEC cares about this, it is within their purview.
OSTK is working on selling the Overstock e-tail brand ...
LOL. Nobody wants his dying e-tail operation.
....in order to become a pure blockchain technology company.
It seems no one wants his blockchain "technology", either, but with a high enough buzzword quotient and lots of dumb money floating around anything is possible.

If Tesla goes down this particular rabbit hole then heck, even I may short the stock. I don't see it, though. Elon is eccentric, not unhinged.

Up in Bloomingville they have an article about how 27% of Tesla execs are quitting every year.
Elon probably makes them work for their salary, vs just coasting on their staffs' backs. And I think he does that, in part, by setting these seemingly unreal timeframes, then the managers have to explain why Summon isn't out yet, for example. FSD team must really be a pressure cooker! Like Apollo at the end of the decade. So he sets a date when it could be done and announces it publicly. Can you imagine what the typical manager would say if that happened to them? It would be like the Secretary of State were told in an elementary school, on camera, that Trump invited Putin to the White House.

What would makes shorts think it's "no longer worth it"? Remember, 1 day delayed = $2.75b in the oil market. Here's a thought....

Is that time when cash flow is so sweet that shorting it has no effect on growth? Aren't we there yet, or do we need a steady profit too? Last I checked, profit isn't a requirement for growth, and I see no indication that the SP is affecting Tesla decisions on how to expand, or how much, or when. The only effect could be us longs and the employee stock options.

This gradual disconnection from short influence could lead to a realization that more losses by shorts has no effect on the real change they fear - people moving to BEVs in large numbers. Is that the turning point?

Yes. I woke up today after my coal rolling incident last night with my brain doing the calculations on how many gallons the current Tesla fleet is NOT consuming, and how much that number is. How much does a soul cost? I saw an article last night decreased funds to climate denial groups(although I am always skeptical they aren’t just finding other means of payment) in light of public feelings about climate change.again, skeptical, but it was the best news I’ve seen so far.
must.....resist....sale ....price....will .....not ....buy ...anymore...stock.
Yes, just told my wife I was fighting the urge to add.

....I value my marriage, but damn! (Edit)

I don't think this has been posted. Promising new electric motor tech on Inside EVs. If it proves to be as advantageous as claimed and is cost effective, I hope Tesla can acquire it. Linear Labs Present The HET, A Revolutionary Direct-Drive Motor

Agree, this sound revolutionary. I wonder if there's a catch (reliability, mfg cost, lifespan...). This should be a Trillion dollar company if it's legit. (Recalling the Wankel Rotary Engine breakthrough... but if it weren't for those darn seals.)

Definitely big oil will attempt to buy their IP too. It makes the BEV case even stronger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger