Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric Vehicle Q3 Progress Over Q2 - All EVs

qIBpJwr.png

Where do the Tesla numbers come from. I didn’t think they published numbers. I would love to find these numbers for Canada. Canadian numbers seem to be a well guarded secret. I personally think they are 15 percent of production from the amount of reported deliveries happening. Impossible to confirm though.

Where do the Tesla numbers come from. I didn’t think they published numbers. I would love to find these numbers for Canada. Canadian numbers seem to be a well guarded secret. I personally think they are 15 percent of production from the amount of reported deliveries happening. Impossible to confirm though.

They're unofficial, but InsideEVs is generally very good at what it does. I made the mistake of doubting them in Q1. Shorts made the mistake of doubting them in Q2 (and many past quarters).

They don't officially track Canadian numbers, however.

Just checked out a diesel forum - people are hoping that the VW statement means new VW diesel models will be introduced in the US, although there's a lot of doubt that they will go that far.

Volkswagen exec reaffirms commitment to diesel: ‘Now it is absolutely clean’ - TDIClubFForums

Typical quote: "When the elctric car thing bombs (there will be a surge of interest, since the whining Euro weenies and the looney idiots in the press tell everyone that they are the future) there MIGHT be a chance to buy another diesel from someone, maybe not VW though. Too bad, since after 50+ years of involvement, I have probably bought my last ever new VW (Q7 TDI)"

If you want to see more zealotry like that, combined with a few EV advocates fighting the FUD (most of whom are on TMC, some of whom are old-school TDIClubbers, some of whom came there specifically to advocate for EVs and hybrids), there's a whole thread of this over here: Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability - TDIClub Forums

Yes. It is funny, that it is OK to talk about e.g. cat food on a Tesla market thread, but not about e.g. Tesla's service :rolleyes:
When I came to this thread yesterdays TSLA was (among others of course) down 5-6%, but people were talking about cat food and hypermilling/ 1 pedal driving..
This makes me so much more appreciative of posts by the likes of Papafox, Fact Checking, and so many ON Topic others that we all take for granted - we've had some surprising good pages of great posts in the last few days.

Sadly, the farther OFF Topic, the more positive responses. It's like how the History channel no longer does any history, just gold mining and insanely repetitious treasure hunt dramas.

Anyway, what's everyone's favorite brand of dry cat food*? Canned*? Shall make a database of our pets names*?

Edit- *If anyone MUST actually answer, please do so only in a new Forum you start for cats.

Thank you Karen. Rumour has it ICBC has an end year tally of vehicles sold. Tough numbers to find though.

BTW, did you notice that the Supercharger network has started headed up to Saskatoon? It's not on Tesla's official plan map, but:

upload_2019-8-15_13-34-43.png

It's really, really obvious in what country Tesla's expansion focus is right now ;)

upload_2019-8-15_13-35-34.png

That should be a pretty good proxy for where sales have been dramatically accelerating!

BTW, did you notice that the Supercharger network has started headed up to Saskatoon? It's not on Tesla's official plan map, but:

View attachment 442008

It's really, really obvious in what country Tesla's expansion focus is right now ;)

View attachment 442009

That should be a pretty good proxy for where sales have been dramatically accelerating!

I hadn’t noticed. Thanks. We rarely get to that part of the country anymore although not far from Saskatoon is where I married my bride 34 years ago. Good to see the expansion. It will be nice when they put more on the northern highway 97 route although that would probably not be money well spent right now as there are mire pressing areas.

Definitely can confirm the boom in Teslas everywhere. I am in MA and have also seen a ton this summer. I have owned a Model S since 2015 and my once rather lonely stays at the charging stations have been replaced with almost full stations charging next to 3s, Xs and Ss. Good to see!
Reminds me of the rather basic investing philosophy of Peter Lynch - buy the companies you come across in daily life (assuming you also do some due diligence).

It's already happening here. Asheville Supercharger yesterday. Full with 7 M3's and my lowly MS.

IMG_0442.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    737.4 KB · Views: 20
The bear narrative is definitely carrying the day.

All the more important that Musk's most recent communications to the market via Twitter bear fruit.

If Tesla doesn't raise prices on FSD Musk will lose even more credibility, and the inference will be that FSD, whatever that looks like, is even farther in the future.

the Q3 numbers have to reinforce Tesla's affirmation of total production guidance. If not the stock is going back to its former recent lows.

The bear narrative is definitely carrying the day.

All the more important that Musk's most recent communications to the market via Twitter bear fruit.

If Tesla doesn't raise prices on FSD Musk will lose even more credibility, and the inference will be that FSD, whatever that looks like, is even farther in the future.

the Q3 numbers have to reinforce Tesla's affirmation of total production guidance. If not the stock is going back to its former recent lows.

The FSD price increase is such nonsense. FSD is not compelling enough to discuss any price increases whatsoever. Completely boneheaded move by Elon. $7k for FSD in its current form is insane.

The FSD price increase is such nonsense. FSD is not compelling enough to discuss any price increases whatsoever. Completely boneheaded move by Elon. $7k for FSD in its current form is insane.

I don't disagree with you, but as far as stock price goes, and confidence in the CEO, it is about delivering on public comments. If that was Elon's way of somehow motivating the team to deliver it may wind up backfiring on him big time.

That's not certain, at all: chances are that if they kill Tesla they'll simply slow down the EV transition again, like they did in the last 10 years.

Best outcome for the "EV mission" would probably be the bankruptcy of at least one major ICE OEM:
  • pure EV makers would become the "safe" investment bets,
  • it would also free up factory space, automotive workers and captured consumers (~99% of whom are still buying gascars),
  • might disrupt the current negative media narrative about EVs,
  • it might also make the current ICE and fossil fuel subsidies of more than $20,000 per new ICE car in the U.S. alone more risky politically.
... accelerating the transition to sustainable energy via creative destruction.

This (unverified) tweet chain gives a good insight into the structural failures of the ICE industry I believe:

If those statements are true (which I believe they are) then many ICE OEMs are in a similar situation as Arianespace trying to compete with SpaceX: hopelessly outclassed, with only subsidies and inertia keeping them alive.

Not advice.

So this post prompted a conflicted thought: let’s just get this over and done with; rip the bandaid off and move on sooner rather than later.

Meaning: Bring on this supposed recession everyone’s been tip toeing about for the last year+, make it good enough to kill a few OEMs outright (yes, at least 3 of them preferably more and definitely the bigger the better) and whatever other dominos tumble because of them; a host of dealerships bye-bye and as a result various Automobile Associations, followed by the dissolving of a certain amount of political based power, gas stations, put a chink in oil, fuel shortages ala the good ole days, and so on.

Yes, would be ugly. A lot of people would suffer for a while, but we’re all suffering right now anyway. Just in other ways. On the other hand this would force many to retrain for new industries, schools to change their curriculum, all construction of homes and buildings to include solar and EV charging etc.... and cause an even more powerful wave of transition.

Tesla has already taken steps preparing for a recession as best any company could. They’d be one of the companies that survived I believe and an even more attractive investment.

Yes, painful to go through but potentially really rewarding on the other side. Sometimes. A lot of the time. People have to be shoved, dragged, and cajoled to take that first step through their stubbornness and fear. Once you get them moving, they often realize; ‘ Huh. This is actually awesome. I should have done this a pot sooner.’

I don't disagree with you, but as far as stock price goes, and confidence in the CEO, it is about delivering on public comments. If that was Elon's way of somehow motivating the team to deliver it may wind up backfiring on him big time.

Totally agree. Their communications strategy has been erratic as hell for a long time now. Been tough being long on this stock.