Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DOW has been down most of the day with TSLA following it. Anyone think BoJo losing his majority in the House of Commons will have an effect either way on the markets?
Brexit: Tory MP defects ahead of crucial no-deal vote
Tory MP defects ahead of crucial Brexit vote

As a Belgian Brit I can tell you I'm delighted at the way it's going :D Does this impact the markets? Certainly it's screwing the £ against €/$, but otherwise?

If anything, the blocking of a no-deal will be seen as a positive, I think, so maybe a rise later in the dat after the vote.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
As a Belgian Brit I can tell you I'm delighted at the way it's going :D Does this impact the markets? Certainly it's screwing the £ against €/$, but otherwise?

If anything, the blocking of a no-deal will be seen as a positive, I think, so maybe a rise later in the dat after the vote.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. On Twitter there seem to be a lot of pissed off Brits and a lot of gobsmacking happy ones. I'm hoping the markets see this as good and everything rebounds.

Porsche Stevens Creek in Santa Clara, CA says they received 200+ reservations for taycan.
This is in the heart of silicon valley.
There’s a not-a-Tesla crowd here in the valley. I’ve a few neighbors in that category.

One just got an iPace for his wife and says he will get Taycan. Haven’t asked him why not a Tesla.

Another has had Porsches. He mentioned the Taycan too. Dunno if he will buy for real. My read is that he needs ‘permission’ of a historically luxury brand to buy. That’s okay, but I don’t think the legacy maker EV offerings will show as well as he thinks. Then again, we don’t really travel with the same crowds.

I just say all EV is good EV and say complimentary things.

I saw that, but it would be cheaper if they could ship them from San Francisco or Oakland ports. Shipping through panama adds a week to 10 days versus truck to ship from Philadelphia, so they may just be trying to catch up with Europe demand. They could still at an end of Q east coast shipment, but if they have demand above 30,000 they need better scalable and cost effective options.

The transport itself would likely be cheaper when avoiding the additional trucking. However, a while ago Elon stated that they had underestimated the effect of having too many finished but not yet paid-for cars in transit for a too long time, so this might also be a way to get paid quicker.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. On Twitter there seem to be a lot of pissed off Brits and a lot of gobsmacking happy ones. I'm hoping the markets see this as good and everything rebounds.

Off topic: You can see the leavers as synonymous to the GOP, the retainers to progressive DEMS, it's about the same mind-set. If anything it's more rabid than what we see in the USA right now, leavers are adamant that the EU is the source of all evil and treating them as slaves, remainers are aghast at their loss of human rights and think of themselves as Europeans. But at least hardly anyone has guns, so at least they can't start shooting each other...

On topic: after holding firm early on, looks like the SP is being walked-down as we go through the day. I had cancelled my $220 buy order, was setting to $224, but then put it back at $220, wait and see...

Last edited:
There’s a not-a-Tesla crowd here in the valley. I’ve a few neighbors in that category.

One just got an iPace for his wife and says he will get Taycan. Haven’t asked him why not a Tesla.

Another has had Porsches. He mentioned the Taycan too. Dunno if he will buy for real. My read is that he needs ‘permission’ of a historically luxury brand to buy. That’s okay, but I don’t think the legacy maker EV offerings will show as well as he thinks. Then again, we don’t really travel with the same crowds.

This is the same as the group of people who will never buy an IPhone.

I would hope that the "not-a-tesla" group is a much smaller percentage than the "not-an-iPhone" group. The difference being, Tesla's goal is to save the planet while Apple's goal is to make as much money as possible.

Note that the speaker of the House of Commons has granted an emergency no-deal Brexit debate.

This debate will last three hours after which there will be a vote, which as of now the government is expected to lose and the Prime Minister has already indicated that in event of a loss, he will trigger a genera election as of 14th October.

So will go on until after US markets close, so not likely to be a big mover of anything for the rest of the day, but could have an impact tomorrow.

Except that Tesla doesn't:

Have elaborate Cayman Island tax avoidance schemes
Develop proprietary data cables, tires and wheels, child seat retainers, etc. in order to lock you into their wonderful "ecosystem"
Increase the price of their products every year without adding significant innovation
Tell users they are using the product wrong when it's actually a malfunction of the device
Use cheap Chinese child labor to build their products and then act surprised when the media finds out

I could go on and on but I think there are a lot better reasons for someone to avoid giving Apple their money vs. Tesla.

If Tesla have ramped production a little more and are seeing tweets like this the Q3 numbers should be interesting.

It could just be down to Tesla focusing on export production over the last month or so.

Brett Winton on Twitter

Screenshot_20190903-192625_Twitter.jpg

If Tesla have ramped production a little more and are seeing tweets like this the Q3 numbers should be interesting.

It could just be down to Tesla focusing on export production over the last month or so.

Brett Winton on Twitter

View attachment 449943

To add another data point - I continue to see absolutely no level of substantive discounting of inventory models, and any half-decently discounted vehicle is snatched up quickly.

Some people are overly obsessed with brand perception. "I'll never own a Corvette because people will think I'm a hillbilly" or "I won't buy a Tesla because they are SJW libs" (don't get mad anone, just making something up)

This also touches on the difference between a fan boy and an enthusiast. A fan boy will defend their product of choice to a fault. Any other phone/car/video game system/etc. is junk, only their item is good. An enthusiast may have a preference, but can respect the strengths of other products.

Last edited:
Reactions: N5329K and capster
Some people are overly obsessed with brand perception. "I'll never own a Corvette because people will think I'm a hillbilly" or "I won't buy a Tesla because they are SJW libs" (don't get mad anone, just making something up)

This also touches on the difference between a fan boy and an enthusiast. A fan boy will defend their product of choice to a fault. Any other phone/car/video game system/etc. is junk, only their item is good. An enthusiast may have a preference, but can respect the strengths of other products.

There are many of both types on these forums as well.

Yet, in the long term, oil prices at $60 wouldn’t be competitive in the transportation sector because they won’t be able to compete with electric vehicles (EVs), BNP Paribas Asset Management said in a research note last month.
The long-term breakeven oil price needs to be as low as $9 or $10 a barrel so that gasoline cars can remain competitive as a means of transportation in the future, according to the research report, authored by Mark Lewis, Global Head of Sustainability Research at BNP Paribas Asset Management