Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's fine to rehash the AP related crashes because you don't want to come off as sleeping with AP on is safe. As for the auto pilot name, just like what Elon said, people need to look up what it's suppose to mean vs what they feel it means. People literally thinks pilot sleeps when auto pilot is engaged because their source is from Airplane!, the movie...
Well that was OttoPilot. Why would anyone think anything with "Auto" in the name applied to Automobiles? Had it been named OttoPilot that would have been funnier. :)

Once your retinas are burnt out, the colour won't matter anymore.
cyclops-wallpapers-27549-2561826.jpg

If it was solely to “educate Tesla owners” to remind them Autopilot is not fully autonomous....then ok...I suppose.

But that is NOT how john q public interprets it. Every time something like that comes up, different people have come up to me and said, “I’d never buy a Tesla, they are unsafe.” Or “aren’t you worried about crashing?”

No, it's more there to educate potential buyers so people wouldn't think to buy a Tesla so you can sleep in it. Something like that will take lives so therefore it's fine to put a negative spin on AP along with the positive. It's irresponsible to hide the fact that AP is perfect and sleeping with it on is fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash and SO16
So the third permit there is really, really interesting:

"Building Permit: F19-0041 - Tesla GA5 Demo and Rough Grading"
Is this general assembly line #5? GA4 is the Sprung Tent, which was the last known GA line Tesla added.

First time I've seen GA5 mentioned by Tesla. GA5 was mentioned here on TMC in early 2018 occasionally, which would have brought Fremont to 10K/week, but that production expansion went to Shanghai instead.

Is GA5 the Model Y assembly line already perhaps?
media is starting to pick up on this now

Tesla Permit Application Hints at Another Fremont Assembly Line

NBC news story was pretty good. Even had their correspondent drive a Tesla to show that the system warns the driver, so it was fair.

There was no anti-Tesla sentiment...just anti-stupid driver sentiment.
It was on ABC News as well. Pretty amazing a car can drive itself but they didn't mention that of course. All they said was that it was a Tesla and they didn't know if he woke up. Of course had he crashed that would have made it to every sleazebag website so I'd guess he woke up when the car started to warn him or it was all fake.

Free advertising. :cool:

as far as the ID.3 ranges go, I hope this at least clears the claims up:

Vision made reality: world premiere of the ID.3

This breaks down to:

45 kWh: 330 km WLTP (not yet released, "less than" €30,000)
58 kWh: 420 km WLTP (1ST, "less than" €40,000)
77 kWh: 550 km WLTP

Using the +12% correction factor I found for WLTP <-> EPA the 205 mile range would actually amount to 183 miles. The ID.3 1ST would have 233 mile range which implies 249 Wh/mile. That's pretty good and I'm not sure that I believe it, but it is plausible.

Beware of the wording "up to". That can mean that they're quoting WLTP city ranges. Like EPA, WLTP has city, highway, and combined.

It is absolutely infuriating how it became a habit of manufacturers and the media that parrots the press releases without any validation, that they quote the price of the base model and the range of the highest end car in the headline.

Yep, take the Taycan buzz as an example: The media was quoting pricing from base models years out, while listing performance of the top end model which we now know starts at 185k. And to make it even worse using range estimates from the base model on the city cycle of WLTP while comparing it to EPA combined range. The level of disappointment has yet to peak for the Taycan. Expect that when the EPA numbers hit the wires. A similar reckoning may arrive in time for ID3

No, it's more there to educate potential buyers so people wouldn't think to buy a Tesla so you can sleep in it. Something like that will take lives so therefore it's fine to put a negative spin on AP along with the positive. It's irresponsible to hide the fact that AP is perfect and sleeping with it on is fine.
One of the reasons I bought a Tesla was to sleep while driving. I will wait until it's safe though. I expect that to be sometime in 2020.

somebody (sorry, I forget who) posted a link earlier (which I didn't bookmark) from a car magazine about Nürburgring and the short of it is that there aren't any protocols, no certification, its just a manufacturer's word that they did what they did with the car they say they did it with. There's (some) incentive to not exaggerate to avoid devaluing the alleged lap times, but without certification it is hard to have high confidence in the numbers.

edit: oops, apparently that article was just out of date:

D'oh! That was me posting the outdated Car & Driver Article. Apologies for the bad info, and thank you humbaba kindly for setting the record straight:

"As of the 2019 season, lap records are officially recorded, confirmed and published by the Nürburgring."

(I'd add the fancy quote block and edit the original post if I could figure out either.)

Mods please clear #83210 if helpful.