Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla 10K worldwide Model 3 production target validated by production planning at GF1/Sparks for the end of 2019:

carsonight 9 hours ago

"Considering the complexity of electric motor and battery pack manufacturing, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla imports some from Gigafactory 1 in Nevada..."
The batteries for the initial 3k per week [at GF3] will indeed be coming from Nevada. I am told the goal at GF1 is 10k batteries per week by the end of the year.

So 8,500 at Fremont and 1,500 in Shanghai? During the 2019Q2 CC, Elon stated the mix might be something like 8.3-8.6 Fremont and remainder from Shanghai. This new info seems to confirm the planning.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just sunk a bit more into Tesla at 246. I get the feeling when China comes online within 6 months and they are consistently putting out profitable quarters, then the share price is never going to look back from 300.
That's my thought as well. The only thing that will prevent that is if they somehow still can't pull a profit. The SP still seems stupid cheap.
What Amazon did was basically say, "I'm buying 100k vehicles from myself in the future sometime."
Sort of. These are two distinct businesses. Even if they were under the same corporate umbrella you still don't just transfer goods over. Business 1 doesn't want to "sell" products to business 2 at cost just because they are owned by the same company.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Why inferior?
Rivian (when finally available) will offer inferior motors, electronics, bty density, software/updates, charging network/solutions, fleet management integration, autonomus delivery vehicles and safety.

So yes, inferior.
Tesla doesn't make vans, does it?
Elon tweeted about buying 'gliders' from Daimler (likely the Sprinter van). He said he'd approach them about the purchase. Nothing public has come of it.

Again, Tesla stands alone at the alter, while others falter.

Last edited:
OT

Greta is lightning a fire (figuratively speaking) around the world. Her speech is amazing.

Greta Thunberg on Twitter

Screenshot_20190919-182742_Twitter.jpg

Thoughts re: SpaceX/Starlink:

If Starlink turns into a cash machine... is there anything that could stop Elon from just using SpaceX to buy up Tesla, bit by bit on the open market? Not that they would want to, but could any SpaceX investors stop him if they did?

SpaceX could of course pay a dividend and Musk could use the cash to personally buy Tesla stock. But using SpaceX to buy it would nearly double the buying power.

At 30% SpaceX ownership of Tesla, plus his 20% personal stake, would Musk not, for all effects and purposes, fully control Tesla?

Didn't get to see it, but Chanos was on CNBC pumping his latest stocks he's shorting. I didn't see an article from CNBC mentioning Tesla! Did he really not say anything about Tesla? Could even HE be moving on?

That would be sad if Chanos got out. I would like to see him stay short until the end of his career. He deserves it.

If Starlink turns into a cash machine... is there anything that could stop Elon from just using SpaceX to buy up Tesla, bit by bit on the open market? Not that they would want to, but could any SpaceX investors stop him if they did?

SpaceX could of course pay a dividend and Musk could use the cash to personally buy Tesla stock. But using SpaceX to buy it would nearly double the buying power.

At 30% SpaceX ownership of Tesla, plus his 20% personal stake, would Musk not, for all effects and purposes, fully control Tesla?

We generally try to avoid this topic. We don't want shorts actively go against SpaceX. If Elon's SpaceX shares worth $60B, he could borrow $10B against his shares. Long time ago I heard Larry Ellison borrowed $10B against his Oracle shares and used the money for investment.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D

I was thinking along the same lines. I'd love SpaceX to pay Musk a big dividend so he can do dolar cost averaging on buy up Tesla shares. He'd also be monetizing the shorts in the process.

Edit: Oh yeah, Musk's Tesla compensation pack is critically based on driving up Tesla's market cap. So buying up Tesla shares when they are priced low could pay off handsomely for Musk.

Last edited:
We generally try to avoid this topic. We don't want shorts actively go against SpaceX. If Elon's SpaceX shares worth $60B, he could borrow $10B against his shares. Long time ago I heard Larry Ellison borrowed $10B against his Oracle shares and used the money for investment.
How do 'shorts actively go against SpaceX'? Its not a publicly traded company. Thats the main reason Elon was considering taking Tesla private.