Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be ironic if the dieselgate fraud resurfaces to end VW's small steps towards electrification.

I don't think Diess is doing nearly enough on EVs, but I think the odds a successor does even less are extremely high, particularly after the Taycan/E-tron embarrassment.
Did you see Bjorns range video comparing a raven X to the etron?

He says the etron is much less efficient but can do a 1000k road trip in the same amount of time due to high charging speeds.

While I think the X is a better car for many reasons, the test shows the etron is a capable long range cruiser.

It would be ironic if the dieselgate fraud resurfaces to end VW's small steps towards electrification.

I don't think Diess is doing nearly enough on EVs, but I think the odds a successor does even less are extremely high, particularly after the Taycan/E-tron embarrassment.
Diess is fighting an uphill battle. I think losing him as the No1 of the world`s largest car company will be a loss to the EV world. I don`t know if google translate does this justice, but I would recommend these 2 fascinating German articles which detail the internal politics and wars within the company he is up against. It`s proper HBO mini series material.

In chronological order:

Machtkampf bei VW – Ein Weltkonzern

VW drängt auf drastische Änderungen bei E-Auto-Förderung

And as a bonus article, while Diess was walking this minefield, Audi`s CEO, effectively his direct report, gave an interview like this, which I would call an act of mutiny and fully supporting the above 2 articles.

Audi treibt Brennstoffzelle voran

1. I am sure that Tesla has had Dr Dahn's group validate both Samsung and LG's cells, so they know exactly what energy density and lifespan to expect from them, so they can compensate if necessary.
2. I really doubt they have given either of those companies their latest, secret recipe. That recipe, IMO, is one of Tesla's biggest competitive advantages, so I am sure they are keeping it to themselves, especially with so much industrial espionage/theft of trade secrets lately. They would basically be handing VW, GM, and anyone else using LG cells their biggest advantage.
That's exactly my thought. I wouldn't want Tesla proprietary chemistry cells being made in China, Tesla would lose that IP in no time.

He says the etron is much less efficient but can do a 1000k road trip in the same amount of time due to high charging speeds.

While I think the X is a better car for many reasons, the test shows the etron is a capable long range cruiser.
This was an interesting test and I’m thankful he did it, but I gotta be honest that if given the choice of “many more stops” vs “less but longer stops”, me and my family will vote for the latter.

That said, many people vastly overestimate the number of long road trips they go on. During our local National Drive Electric Week, I was STILL shocked at the same questions over and over about EVs- where do you charge? How far can they go? And my favorite, “I live at the top of a mountain with very steep roads. Can an EV make it up a steep hill?” These people weren’t dumb, they just had no exposure and no experience.

All this is to say, we are still in the VERY early stages of this EV revolution and Tesla is well-positioned.

It's also comparing a 5-seater to a 7-seater in an energy consumption battle, which is IMHO pretty silly.

Last edited:
Well, shortzes are using NIO newz to hammer TSLA at the opening (NASDAQ-100 up 0.54% atm, TSLA dn 0.91%). Hopefully some deep pockets recognize this gifted buying opportunity, and this early MMD is soundly routed.

NIO isn't a manufacturing company. They hire factories to produce their designs in a similar way that Apple uses Foxconn to produce iPhones. Totally different business model than Tesla.

Cheers!

i don't understand why every bad thing that happens to every other car company negatively affects Tesla stock, when (in my opinion) it only backs the Tesla thesis.

I don't think there has been some sort of panicked rush back into solar, but there is a more proactive and urgent approach.

Could be related to:
"While we expect significant operations at Gigafactory 2 and the surrounding Buffalo area to continue, including with our ramp and manufacture of Solar Roof, if we fail in any year over the course of the term of the agreement to meet these obligations, we would be obligated to pay a “program payment” of $41.2 million to the SUNY Foundation in such year. Any inability on our part to comply with the requirements of this agreement may result in the payment of significant amounts to the SUNY Foundation, the termination of our lease at Gigafactory 2."

Currently does not apply in north america. As we have VERY few chargers (non tesla) above 100kW. with the majority at 50kW which would definitely make the E-tron into the étron

:oops:.....sucks to be continually disappointed in how Tesla is treated by wall st. Seems like shorts and bears will easily be able to counter any high delivery numbers by simply driving the stock down this week. All the gains over the past 3 weeks will likely be wiped. Zero resistance from buyers this morning.

I think a lot of believe there will be a day of reckoning for those that have lived off of Tesla market manipulations......but until then its this daily BS

Tesla down over 3%. because a poorly run Chinese electric car co. is predictably failing. Seems like NIO's failure would be to Tesla's advantage. But, of course, if there is positive news for a co. like NIO, Tesla goes down (competition), AND if there is negative news for a co. like NIO, Tesla also goes down (because Tesla must be having the same issues). The shorts are insufferable.