Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why bailing out NIO when there's are other plenty of EV maker?

CN.jpg
That was my thought. They want to be an EV powerhouse. Seems like China is ok letting poorly run companies fail.

As rough as it's been for Nio, a 1.8 billion valuation for a company that only has 1-2 quarters of insolvency left and is dealing with a slow down in sales while expenses are growing, is still pretty crazy high.

I think without new financing solvency is measured in weeks not quarters. If the $200m new convertible debt doesn't close as guided on Monday then it could even be days.

Not advice, and I’m not about to invest myself. But I feel like the Chinese government would be both capable and interested in bailing out the “Tesla of china”

The "Tesla of China" is just press branding. If any other company is the Tesla of China, it is BYD, but they're still barely comparable. The real Tesla of China is Tesla China - and that appears to be who the state is backing.

I think Nio's best chance is financing from a state backed entity - possibly still Beijing E-town. Alternatively someone like Evergrande.
It just seems difficult for a ICE OEM to justify buying a company with such low customer/brand momentum and such high burn rate when its attractive assets could be bought much more cheaply out of bankruptcy. You never know though.

Last edited:
I'm really disappointed in you @HG Wells -- I did it exactly. I stood on my right foot with left foot never between 4 and 6 inches from the ground and recited the alphabet backwards seven times and nothing happened. You are shaking my faith in the Holy Elon Musk and his beneficent plan to relieve the masses of the drudgery of every day driving tasks.

That's it, the last straw. I've sold all of my $TSLA shares and purchased $NIO. Its a bargain, I can't understand why everyone doesn't do it: I just multiplied my investment by x137 shares!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

SEVEN ?
I told you SIX!

Seven is the abort command !

I didn't read any article on this particular project and I don't know numbers for it anyway, but if they remediated the ground contamination from having gas tanks it might well have cost that much. At least I'm hoping that money was used for clean up.

Removal of tanks is very cheap. Remediation is expensive but not THAT expensive. At worst, even if it required excavation and replacement of surrounding soil, the cost is typically ~$25,000 per 100 cubic yards of new soil plus treatment. If it’s a big place, then about ~$100,000/cubic acre. And from the looks of this place, it was a tiny local gas station with only 4 pumps.
My guess is the grant paid for literally everything and more.

FYI Bill Maher is a big supporter of believing in science and taking action on climate change. In that regard he s a friend to Tesla. He is however less enthusiastic on Elon Musk, and I recall at least two segments on his show where he criticised Elon’s plans for Mars settlement - arguing that those resources should be used to solve earth problems.

I disagree there - Musk is expending a gigantic amount of resources combatting climate change with Tesla, and it is stupid to criticise his Mars effort which is aimed at solving a seperate problem which is also a huge problem for humanity (the extinction risk inherent of being a single planet species).

Bill Maher has also a segment called Overtime. Viewers can send in questions which will be answered by guests after regular programme on the Internet

Last edited:
It’s actually 2800 and I believe the clock started ticking on Wednesday. Mind you, this is just Amsterdam. There are also deliveries taking place in Tilburg and Groningen. So 10,000 could be within reach for Q3.

My estimate for Q4: 15.000-20.000.

I remember they used to say that there should be 1000 cars sold in the Netherlands before you had e decend change of spotting one while driving. I haven't been back in more than two years but I guess you must see the Model 3 everywhere now.

Reactions: wipster
Small fail by Tesla PR team. Car summons opposite direction of parking lot flow. Couldn’t have chosen a better parking lot example? :rolleyes:
Tesla on Twitter

It is also a false advertisement.

"Where have you parked your Tesla? But also, who cares?"

versus

“You are still responsible for your car and must monitor it and its surroundings at all times.”

If I don't care where the car is, how could I monitor it?

Last edited:
Just imagine what advanced summons can do as a first impression when people take a test drive!

Agreed. Walking from the show room to the parking lot and then waiting with the facilitator while your test drive vehicle rolls up to where you are standing. There is no way that would not leave an impression.

Max pain is 235 today...lots of puts are going to expire worthless.

Hopefully the effort for max pain will be non-existent for the next 45 mins and the shares rally since it doesn't look like it's gonna go down to 235. They had their chance when the macro's plummeted to the low of the day but Tesla held up pretty well. Monday should be fun

Reactions: SpaceCash
Tesla shares are trying to hold up better than those of most other Nasdaq stocks today, nevertheless the macro market concerns have been dragging it down to some extent along with the others. Today it was a Bloomberg report that Trump wants to have Chinese stocks delisted from American exchanges. The wider ramification is that Trump appears to have no intent of ending anytime soon his trade war with China.

Nio may have understandably been affected by today’s trade war news, but Tesla really shouldn’t. Unlike the Chinese automaker Nio, Tesla is an American company. Nevertheless, the Chinese appear supportive of the Tesla factory construction in Shanghai. Today’s little storm should blow over fairly quickly, at least for Tesla.

Lol I forgot about some of the others. BYD obviously is, as far as china goes, a more traditional automaker, but with a much better forward thinking system.

I remember seeing the xiaopeng ad in the Shanghai airport and thinking “lol that’s a model x with xiaopeng on it”

As to why, face/面子. It’s an internationally recognized brand, more so than BYD I think, despit e BYD being much bigger and older. I think it may be past the face saving point for NIO tho.

Bjørn Nyland is selling his Founders edition #91 TMX. So he had the Norwegian AA do a technical checkup. And the car is in great shape after driving over 217.000 kilometres (135k miles). Only minor cosmetic faults found by the experts.

A great testament to the quality of Tesla cars!

Did you miss this video from him? "Model X P90DL issues after 15 months and 120k km/75k mi"

When does FSD start to roll out?

The most difficult problem is all the edge cases. Locations without consistent signs or missing road markings. Pedestrians, children, strollers, bikes, cycles and cars moving every which way. Handling various scenarios.

Not to mention expensive HW 3.0 to run faster, and coping with regulatory issues for public roads.

To work around that, the car could drive at 1/10 the speed so v2.5 hardware keeps up, operate under supervision at slow speeds to minimize accidents, and use private property to avoid regulatory constraints.

Sounds a lot like smart summon.

Crowdsourced training for general autonomy might be starting today. Just postulating.