Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys? Not sure what, but something is happening in Taiwan....

Tesla Owners Taiwan on Twitter

Sorted by color. Probably going to be aerial photography. I'm hoping it's a choreographed video that transforms from one thing to another.

Last year I wanted to see a video made at Bonneville Salt Flats with about 500 red, white and blue Model 3's, choreographed using special self-driving software, such that from a drone they formed an American flag gracefully waving in the wind, rolling furls and all.

Maybe since the Salt Flats are white they could do it with fewer blue and red cars (zero white ones).

Can't wait to see what they have in mind in Taiwan!

Last edited:
Moore's Law vs. Wright's Law

Not sure what your point is, are you saying the Law is wrong, is not applicable, or that people are using the wrong percentage?

Wright's Law, or Learning Curve, or Experience Curve Moore's Law vs. Wright's Law says that for every doubling of total production, the costs involved drop by the same percentage. The initial doublings correspond to the larger improvements as a new product is developed.
The 3 has gone through many doublings since introduction in July 2017. The laws also does not say what the percentage is, as it varies per industry. From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_curve_effects Repetitive machining could as low as a 5% improvement, repetitive electrical operations as high as 25%.
Cumulative production by quarter with number of doublings from previous quarter:
2,685 3.37
12,451 2.21
41,029 1.72
95,268 1.22
155,662 0.71
218,613 0.49
291,167 0.41

The law is not directly applicable to COGS since it does not address amortized fixed overhead costs. Their impact on COGS is directly proportional to production rate. If Tesla doubles the 3 production rate and allocates factory costs on an area used basis, that cuts the factory cost in half. Equipment amortization for fixed lifetime items like die sets are invariant to production rate and thus are fixed COGS per unit items.
The law would apply to the press used to stamp the pieces which benefits (at some small percentage) from cumulative production improvements.
Some studies have used hours of labor per unit to measure cost. Good point that depreciation costs per unit need not apply because that is an accounting rule that generally levels the cost per unit out arbitrarily.

I do suspect that by 100k units the process is mature enough to apply this, since doubling per quarter is not dropping quite as fast as before. But again it needs to be applied to an appropriate measure of marginal cost. COGS is maybe not the best metric.

Additionally, quarterly metrics are maybe not so stable to see the kind of trend implied in the learning curve. That is the measurements may be too granular, too noisy.

So I would not be thinking one should use this to predict quarterly results. I would caution people not to be trading on this idea. Rather think longer term. How much will the cost per Model 3 declined from 2019 to 2020?

• Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore and mongo
You seem a little chicken.:)

It's worse than that. Those who constantly believe the sky is falling never have any big wins. They play everything safe and boring. You can bet they were not accumulating AAPL in 2005 or AMZN in the same time frame. I really regret not buying AMZN when they losing tons of money every quarter and every analyst was like WTF with the "high" share price?

I did buy MSFT when most analysts said it was a good company with good prospects but it was trading at a multiple too high for any reasonable person to seriously consider it. It performed spectacularly. So I sold it all and bought QCOM at a time when 9 out of 10 analysts said their technology was all hype, the wireless data networks would crash under load. That went up 36 fold in one year. SBUX was simply a "fad", yadda, yadda. After the stock has had most of its gains, every analyst loves it, LOL! I sell shortly after that.

If you want big results, never listen to the Chicken Littles, use your own head and follow your gut. Imagine if Musk had listened to all the Chicken Littles!

Last edited:
Datapoint of 1:

While out on my land today, I found myself seriously contemplating buying FSD. I did ultimately come to my senses, but: I'm a person who wasn't even going to buy EAP (before it became included). FSD was right out. And I'm quite financially constrained, having a shortfall for my home construction. And even still, I found myself seriously contemplating FSD, after seeing all of the summon videos. It's such a harbinger of the future; parking lots are hard, and yet enhanced summon appears to be doing them amazingly well. If they can handle parking lots this well, with the first public release of the software, without using HW3 capabilities... just think of how things are going to be a year from now, using the power of HW3.

Multiply my case times everyone who turned down FSD previously.

I think they're going to get a lot of FSD upgrades out of this. Which are 100% pure profit. Plus, of course, a higher take rate in Q4 (so long as they don't correspondingly raise the price).

Wrights Law, Moores Law, I just hope Murphys Law doesn't apply to all this TSLA stock I bought...

I thought Murphy's Law with regard to stock trading was that whichever stock you decide to sell will go on an incredible unbelievable run and everyone and their brother wants some for their own portfolio. Because you sold it to buy a "safe" stock.

Last edited:
Wrights Law, Moores Law, I just hope Murphys Law doesn't apply to all this TSLA stock I bought...
The point of the learning curve is to overcome Murphy's Law. As you double cumulative production, you have twice as much opportunity for anything that can go wrong to actually go wrong. And you eventually gain enough experience to learn how avoid things going wrong. This may well push you to improve process in ways that are both more cost effective and more reliable.

Reactions: Fact Checking
Superchargers at the Phase 2 site?

upload_2019-9-28_22-58-24.png

That must be a parking lot... possibly including loading for outbound vehicles. Interesting, I was expecting the battery plant to be there.

Last edited:
Datapoint of 1:

While out on my land today, I found myself seriously contemplating buying FSD. I did ultimately come to my senses, but: I'm a person who wasn't even going to buy EAP (before it became included). FSD was right out. And I'm quite financially constrained, having a shortfall for my home construction. And even still, I found myself seriously contemplating FSD, after seeing all of the summon videos. It's such a harbinger of the future; parking lots are hard, and yet enhanced summon appears to be doing them amazingly well. If they can handle parking lots this well, with the first public release of the software, without using HW3 capabilities... just think of how things are going to be a year from now, using the power of HW3.

Multiply my case times everyone who turned down FSD previously.

I think they're going to get a lot of FSD upgrades out of this. Which are 100% pure profit. Plus, of course, a higher take rate in Q4 (so long as they don't correspondingly raise the price).

I know some people pulled the trigger on FSD solely just to have the software update earlier. It was pretty smart to include this perk for FSD owners.

I had zero plan getting FSD and skipped on EAP. But just had to get it when it was on fire sale because as a shareholder we need to test these things ourselves vs listening to the FUD.

I spent a good amount of time trying to convince someone that the car will slow down and stop for cars that are stationary previously having no knowledge moving. People are convinced Tesla will only recognize a car as a car if it knew the car was once moving, because motion is needed for radar detection and the camera has very short range, incapable of stoping the car in time over 25-30mph. They think this is the reason for Tesla's running into stationary cars from the FUD reports. I know for a fact that it's capable of slowing and stopping while traveling at 50mph+.

Every FSD license sold for $6000 is one lost to be sold at $120,000. That's why Elon announced price increments linked to additional features being released. The next step to 7k got delayed together with V10 but will soon follow. I hope that take rates remain flat until "feature complete" justifies a much higher license fee.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
It’s 2019.32.11. No change to the release notes that I can see.

There's a new 'Come to me' button on the app that activates smart Summon if you hold it down, without going through the two summons screens. That's the only difference I have noticed so far. They pushed this out pretty quickly after 32.10, but I didn't have any issues with that version.

• Informative
Reactions: Tim S and SpaceCash
Every FSD license sold for $6000 is one lost to be sold at $120,000

I know that's the claim, but I don't buy it. They can sell "personal use only" FSD at an affordable rate, with both legal and technological restrictions to ensure that it's not used as a robotaxi. Indeed, Elon suggested something not far off from this during the autonomy day (e.g. he mentioned that they might limit private individuals to some small number of robotaxis rather than letting them operate as many as they wanted)

For those that think summon is impressive, keep in mind that this is probably the worst it is ever going to work. It will just get even better from here. That should make the other automakers more than a little nervous.

But the grade of worst is beyond disappointing.

Rant. If you don't want to hear FUD, skip reading further.

I think Elon scored an own goal by releasing this version.

First of all, the name. Enhanced. It is not even working. To me enhanced means something better than a working version. Added features to basic functionality.

Second. how many fender benders happened in just 24 hours with limited number of updates and tests? Not only shows the state of the software, but it will also clog up the service departments / body shops / parts supply. And owners pay for Elon's live product tests.

Third. It is ignoring the law of traffic and pretty slow.

Fourth. I have little kids. I do pay attention to them. But someone else at some point will miss a second.

Rant ends.