Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are we all even doing here :eek:?? Let´s just go away and discuss the real numbers when they´re out ;)!

Sure, but it's one thing you guys doing your diligent efforts to try and guess the delivery figures, but I don't see the point in a major EV news-site doing so the day before the real figures come out.

Am I wrong? It's OK if i am. I have a wife, so I'm used to being wrong, 99% of the time. And the other 1% I admit I'm wrong even though I'm not.

It'd be both cowardly and against Tesla's mission statement to deny the fact of man-made climate change. Get on the bus or don't -- all are welcome. But the bus isn't changing its destination for you.

I hate to tell you this, but if it weren't for the people NOT on the bus (not necessarily against the bus either), there would be no Tesla today. Most people buy Tesla's cars because they are awesome. Period.

If people were truly buying a Tesla to protect the environment, Chevy Volts, Toyota Priuses (is that correct???), and Nissan Leafs would have FAR outsold vehicles like the F150, Explorer, Suburban, Camry, Accord, etc. But, by a LONG SHOT, they did not. Trust me on this - people that have $75k to spend on a car are looking for a great car first - if that happens to be a car that is good for the environment, they will feel better about themselves, but it's not WHY they bought the car. And that's the same of a $35k to $50k car. When you get down into the $15k price level, you'll find some people buying for the environment alone.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it's by far the rule, and not the exception. There's a reason why AT&T said the drudge report was the #1 most visited website in a Tesla car a couple of years ago. A lot of conservatives bought a Tesla - again, because it was AWESOME!!

Last edited:
What, is he going to bequeath it to her in his will, or something?

Young kids are designating Friday’s as days to make a statement about climate change by walking out of class and striking on behalf of earth. Her movement has not only gained national but worldwide attention. Our ex governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has recently given her a model 3 to take her to the podium. She has the microphone, it’s music to my ears when innocent kids speak their hearts.

However the segment at 3:20 about company hierarchies, department inefficiencies, obviously applies to Tesla and is a MUST WATCH.

I believe that’s how the SuperBottle was born. “The interfaces in your product indicate the departments in your company.” It makes a lot of sense, but it’s really difficult to implement in a real company whee each department head has a huge ego and seeks recognition.

Young kids are designating Friday’s as days to make a statement about climate change by walking out of class and striking on behalf of earth. Her movement has not only gained national but worldwide attention. Our ex governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has recently given her a model 3 to take her to the podium. She has the microphone, it’s music to my ears when innocent kids speak their hearts.

Dude, was a joke, you wrote this

A lot of people can’t stand Elon neither. I applaud the girl, I hope he develops a thick skin, she’ll need it.

And here's a photo I took of Greta earlier this year when I marched by her side in Brussels. There are very few people I admire in the world more than her.

upload_2019-10-1_20-40-45.png

Sure, but it's one thing you guys doing your diligent efforts to try and guess the delivery figures, but I don't see the point in a major EV news-site doing so the day before the real figures come out.

Am I wrong? It's OK if i am. I have a wife, so I'm used to being wrong, 99% of the time. And the other 1% I admit I'm wrong even though I'm not.

It is the only way to get credibility for their monthly estimates. Otherwise people just say that they put the whole difference in the final month from actual numbers.

And the DOW and NASDAQ are down about 1%. So why is TSLA up? These European sales numbers? The GF3 about to go balls to the wall? Or is it the Model 3 Arnold rented for Greta? Did Wall Street grow some non-corrupt brain cells?

Anecdotal evidence.

My dad is probably the earliest of the TSLA haters. He was TSLAQ before TSLAQ was a thing because I am one of the earliest believer and investor of TSLA. So he gets to hate TSLA extra early.

The schism was so big that we stopped talking to each other for 2 years. Then some other thing I did that he hates even more occurred so we slowly started talking about TSLA since it is something he hates less to avoid talking about the most hated topic. But the typical conversation goes: "Did you hear? TSLA is running out of money!", "When are you going to sell your TSLA stock?". "Another TSLA burned!!!"

I think it was when Model 3 began its mass manufacturing where his tone became neutral. Model S winning safety awards really helped to cement the fact that it is actually a well built car. The mass manufacturing made him realized that it is actually a real company. Winning races sold him on the fact that TSLA is not a toy golf cart. He's always been the early adapter and tech savvy person of his group, but at that age, he tends to get influenced by his group's thoughts. Boy was the resistance strong.

When he heard I reserved a Model 3 because it is the safest car, he was angry on the phone. But the Model 3 winning all the crash test silenced him. The long line up really changed his view. Then I heard he placed a reservation once it became available online. I was floored.

But he didn't trust Tesla yet no. His reasoning was simple, if he gets a reservation in now, he might be able to sell the spot later for $5000. Thank god for some forum where people were greedy and were discussing this strategy. Anyway, once he got hooked he got hooked to start reading and accepting the facts I tell him as real facts instead of the ramblings of a fool.

The he went for the test drive before taking delivery. The he changed his mind and bought a fully loaded Model S because the Model 3 is just a toy compared to the S. Now I am considered an Oracle in his circle of friends and what I say about any stock/assets is the law. Took 10 year track record of calling 80% of the shots correctly though, but the biggest reason is because of TSLA and three other big calls.

So about now is when the first of the TSLAQ crowd start changing their mind

Tesla is using AI to predict accidents. He'll need that fender in a couple weeks, he just doesn't know it yet.

InsideEVs shows US Model 3 growing ~3% QoQ. That's extremely impressive for a tax credit stepdown quarter. I still don't believe their July number, though, but even if it's a few thousand too high Q3 was still quite strong.

People on the right can't stand her. As a company, try not to piss off half of your potential customers. As an investor, be careful what you wish for.
They can't stand her because they disagree with her beliefs on climate change. Tesla has the same beliefs/mission. That said, I'd avoid any flash point personalities as a company. So yeah, I agree there. Little to gain, more to lose.

So is TSLA going up or down tomorrow?
Definitely one of those. Small chance it stays the same. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Nio is essentially on death watch at this point. No ability to raise money from the market or investors. Their only hope is Chinese government swoops in within the next 2 to 3 weeks. Given how the stock is collapsing 15-20% on a daily basis, I wouldn't be surprised if people in the know are aware that the government is just going to let it go under.

Their earnings report was really THAT bad. The loss and the negative margins was astronomical given their level of sales. Makes the think theres was some number cooking going on eith earlier earnings quarters. How else can you go from negative gross margins of 10% to like 40%
Completely off the cuff here. Is there anything in NIO that Tesla could be interested in at this point? Facilities, personnel, etc that might make an acquisition a good move?

Dan

Reactions: BBone
Greta? I think you are only listening to the most vocal 1% of the most ugly 25% of the right. Most right-leaning people can relate to her concerns and admire her willingness to take a stand. Don't underestimate how much the most politically active right-wingers have tried to amplify their more extreme views through the Internet and social media. It doesn't represent political reality (although it is somewhat effective in shaping it).
Yes. As far as I'm aware, Greta has stayed away from partisanship in US politics. The conservative-leaning republicEN group, which advocates for climate action in line with free market principles, has expressed appreciation for her efforts. The thing is, while the majority of Republican politicians rightly catch flack for openly denying climate science, many Democratic politicians either fail to take the problem seriously (they take fossil money, too) or they propose solutions that are overly muddied by tangental social engineering goals.

I hope to soon see photos of Greta using the Model 3 that California's most recent Republican governor has provided. Tesla might best avoid trumpeting this, though, and just let it happen. Too many liberal environmentalists have been holding off on buying Teslas (or even EVs in general) because of their particular hang-ups. Perhaps Greta's influence may help some.

Completely off the cuff here. Is there anything in NIO that Tesla could be interested in at this point? Facilities, personnel, etc that might make an acquisition a good move?

Dan
I can't imagine. NIO was essentially the opposite of Tesla: no vertical integration and no expertise -- it was an idea company -- so they essentially have nothing. IIRC they had Waymo-like plans for FSD. At best, if they had competent engineers, those might find gainful employment with Tesla. But the company?

At this point I can't see anything saving NIO or anyone even caring enough to try.