Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea when the delivery report will be released?
UPDATE 1-U.S. auto safety agency notes Tesla accidents with Smart Summon feature

Asked about reports of crashes involving the feature, NHTSA said it “is aware of reports related to Tesla’s Summon feature. We are in ongoing contact with the company and we continue to gather information. Safety is NHTSA’s top priority and the agency will not hesitate to act if it finds evidence of a safety-related defect.”

Reports of these minor blips in the introduction of an innovative technology, amount to free advertisements for a company that does not advertise as it disrupts established industries. :cool:

Yeah Greta is unsufferable to many and I totally get it. But I don't have personal beef with anyone who looks like they can start fires with their brains.

I feel that we may really be at the turning point in SP and sentiment, but I was saying that for all of 2018 and was wrong, so I don't want to embarrass myself.
This is fine. We've gotten used to a thicker face and a thinner wallet as shareholders.

• Disagree
Reactions: HiTechRedneck
F5 time. Just in case.
giphy.gif

> Greta is young and malleable
Pretty patronising...
I didn't mean to cause offense; my apologies.

> Even if they aren't in a position to buy an EV or install solar, they can start by buying a couple of shares of TSLA and/or shares in renewable energy companies.

This would be more compelling if green companies (including Tesla and SpaceX) were carbon neutral from cradle to grave for all their products (both of which they are not). As an individual, if you want to make a difference become an activist and lobby governments for a pollution tax.
While it would be great if Tesla's operations were carbon neutral, it would be a huge mistake to insist on this as a prerequisite for buying Tesla products or stock! Ask yourself, how can Tesla displace as much fossil fuel use as possible, as quickly as possible? I think the answer is by continuing to rapidly ramp up vehicle production, even where that entails taking the fast and relatively easy path of using existing fossil-fuel-based infrastructure. The vehicles themselves, as well as the EVs produced by would-be competitors, will displace much more fossil fuel. Tesla should "green" its processes over time, of course. As the EV market matures, this will be a more important differentiator.

Since this teenager is a subject here, you might find this interesting from Putin-

"Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday dismissed Greta Thunberg’s recent speech at the United Nations, where the Swedish teenage climate activist denounced world leaders for failing to combat climate change.

“I may disappoint you, but I don’t share the common excitement about the speech by Greta Thunberg,” Putin said at an energy forum in Moscow, according to Reuters’s translation of his remarks.

“No one has explained to Greta that the modern world is complex and different,” Putin continued. “People in Africa or in many Asian countries want to live at the same wealth level as in Sweden.”

Putin said children who are passionate about environmental issues, like Thunberg, should be supported. But he also accused her parents of exploiting that passion.

“When someone is using children and teenagers in personal interests, it only deserves to be condemned,” Putin said. “I’m sure that Greta is a kind and very sincere girl. But adults must do everything not to bring teenagers and children into some extreme situations.”"

Greta Thunberg doesn't understand 'complex and different' modern world, says Putin

Some world leaders do not take kindly to be talked down too by a teenager apparently.
Said by a dictator whose economy depends on petroleum...

I disagreed with this and will explain why.

In or around 1999 an old friend of my wife visited our house. She had been a struggling professional photographer for years. Her true love was photographic artistry but she would grind out whatever kind of assignments she got to pay the bills. I had just purchased my first digital point/shoot camera and was amazed at the ease, color saturation, etc. of digital photography. All 1.2 Megapixels of it. Or was it less? I don't remember. I understood that the resolution and light sensitivity was getting better every year. I wasn't ready to buy a DSLR because it wasn't there yet and was still too expensive.

I made an off-hand comment that in the future she would be using a DSLR. She looked at me like I had just committed a mortal sin and told me she would *never* use a DSLR, even if they improved greatly. DSLR's would *never* give the "film" look which was obviously the best look and the one every artist desired. Digital was too "digital" it would never look natural and, while it might replace film for journalism and such, it could *never* replace film for fine art photography. She went on to elaborate on how processing the film at different temperatures and different times with different developers could maximize the result and was an art/science in and of itself. When I suggested that, with enough pixels, the same thing could be done digitally she just scoffed and let me know I didn't know what I was talking about. She was an *artist* not a techy. The two could never meet in her field.

FF 10 years: I hadn't seen this woman since the last time she chewed me out for knowing nothing about art and artistic photography. She came by to visit. One of the first things I asked her was if she was still shooting film. She looked very sheepish as she admitted she had switched *entirely* to DSLR's years ago. She had a bunch of DSLR's and was more successful than ever. Even in the realm of artistic photography.

My point is, I had never met a bigger film snob, she was a film snob before digital was even a thing and the transformation happened really fast. She previously *loved* the darkroom and watching her images develop under the dim light of the darkroom. I think it will largely be the same way with cars. Yes, collectible cars will decline in value (and yet, some will still be worth millions), people will realize they didn't really enjoy being up to their elbows in oil every time they needed to refresh the oil (but there will still be a small minority that carry on the dirty, expensive tradition). Gas cars are not going away, they are just losing their luster and their following.
Some people just don't understand the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling Theorem. ;-)

Said by a dictator whose economy depends on petroleum...
And a man who has directly exploited children in the past (blocking US adoptions in response to sanctions).

Wow, out of a hundred thousand or so smart summons made on the first weekend alone, not all of them went perfect, including a person who had another car drive into them), their owners shared videos or stills, and they went viral. Someone call the waaaaaambulance.

Am I the only person on this planet who cares about actual statistical incidence rates over anecdotes? It sometimes feels that way.
You aren't alone but stupid people and/or those with an axe to grind focus on those one-offs. Sadly, there are far to many of both in this world.

Reactions: Lessmog
Last edited:
I literally just had a heated discussion with the HS chemistry teacher here at my school on nuclear vs. solar/wind/storage. It's weird to sit there and listen to this man, who is very educated in his field, downgrade EVs and renewables. Giving the strawman reason that everything made comes from dirty energy, blah blah blah.....this was not our first tango....sigh....I sent him a bunch of articles.... :) He thinks the discussions are fun, so hopefully he will get the info coming at him.....
Wind sucks. Solar plus storage rocks. Greenies should be pushing Nuclear though if they believe in the CAGW theory. It is the only way currently to decarbonize the world economy within 10 years. Although, solar/battery is coming close. Of course, there is that little radioactive storage issue....o_O

I do have a TSLA related question though: Since Elon says that Tesla solar panels are like "printing money", why does Tesla make and charge 7000 battery packs per week using regular grid? Serious question, not trolling.

What you missed here is that the police car DIDN'T run out of charge.. just got low.. but that's not what the headlines and articles said.. And when corrected zero apologies or issued retractions.. .. That's fud. They did it with an agenda. Mostly just for the clicks but sometimes there is more.

Technically running out of charge to the point of unable to compete the task as hand can be considered as "ran out of charge" depending on who you ask. The other headline would be Tesla ran out of charge leaving police stranded". It is a matter of opinion here. If the police department mandates all cars to be called off at 10% charge than for the purpose of a police car, 10% charge is their "ran out".

Business insider however DID write an article using model 3 stats as the model S saying Taycan is faster. That is blatantly false.