Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
where did you find it can't see it on TSLA yahoo feed

upload_2019-10-3_23-36-8.png

Investing.com - Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) reported third quarter earnings that beat analysts' expectations on Wednesday and revenue that fell short of forecasts.

The firm reported earnings per share of $-0.16 on revenue of $6.34B. Analysts polled by Investing.com anticipated EPS of $-0.47 on revenue of $6.45B. That compared to EPS of $2.9 on revenue of $6.82B in the same period a year earlier. The company had reported EPS of $-1.12 on revenue of $6.35B in the previous quarter.

Tesla follows other major Consumer Cyclical sector earnings this month
On September 24, Nike reported first quarter EPS of $0.86 on revenue of $10.66B, compared to forecasts of EPS of $0.7 on revenue of $10.44B.

AutoZone earnings beat analysts' expectations on September 24, with fourth quarter EPS of $22.59 on revenue of $3.75B. Investing.com analysts expected EPS of $21.77 on revenue of $3.93B

Investing.com:
Over the years, Investing.com established itself as a trustworthy publisher, allowing hundreds of loyal advertisers the opportunity for global and local exposure, on all available platforms.

Founded in 2007, Investing.com now has over 300 employees in Tel Aviv, Madrid, Milan, Tokyo, São Paulo, Mumbai, Seoul, Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and Shenzhen.
I was going to report them to the SEC but there's no point. I will complain about Yahoo instead.
Edit: done.

Last edited:
In Texas, the legislators have classified battery storage as energy generation, not energy storage, so it can't really be used until the law changes.
Legislators or TxPUC staff? If the latter, that can quickly change until the Intervenors tie it up in a T&D utility's rate case docket. Look at what happened to the ONCOR idea of purchasing beaucoup Power-Packs

Yes - I don't think they sold less S&X in Sept compared to August.

BTW, the case of S&X is curious.

Q1
EU+US : 10,623
Total : 12,091
Diff : ~1,500

Q3
EU+US : 12,028
Total : 17,650
Diff : ~5,600

Q3
EU+US : 11,507 (incomplete)
Total : 17,400
Diff : ~6,000

So, did China (and ROW) really buy so many S&X in Q2 and Q3 - compared to Q1 ?

Was it China sales hit by tariff increase in Q1 and later lifted?

Or early 2014. TSLA has been dead money going on the last half dozen years--it pays no dividend. Either trade it or bet on that little ball landing on the green double zero.
Or every war for oil, every pseudo drone strike to remind us of oil’s one way usage, every time someone has to junk their old car there will be another chance to get an ev. Chances are increasing and they are going to be more green double zeros on the wheel for each of these events. Or your ball lands on the red double nine and we all install gas stations in our houses so we can charge our cell phones and laptops.

Reactions: AZRI11 and Drax7
Netflix: exists
Blockbuster: Do you not understand that you are waking me up, a sleeping giant?
Netflix: Okay.
And then, there's no "and then".

Amazon: exists
Lots of B&M only retailers: Do you not understand that you are waking us up, a lot of sleeping giants?
Amazon: Okay
And then, there's no "and then".

It should be noted that it's even more difficult for existing ICE car maker. EV is a different ball game -

1) Their expertise in ICE based power train do not apply.
2) A lot of their existing employee's expertise do not apply.
3) There are internal friction from all levels inside the company resisting change due to 1) and 2).
4) Their investments in ICE only infra needs to be sold off for a loss before they can be fully depreciated / written off.
5) C-levels need to convince shareholders in writing off their ICE assets, and making a transition to going full EV, while at the same time managing resistance from inside the company.
6) EV and ICE line up from the same company invites cannibalization. Makes too good of an EV? You kill your ICE business too fast before your EV line up can replace the existing ICE lineup in revenue and profit. Half ass effort of an EV? Why would consumer choose an inferior product to Teslas?
7) Most ICE car makers do not have the ability to vertically integrate as much like Tesla. Tesla has a serious cost advantage here.

Their best hope for survival is, believe or not, just pulling the money out, form a new company and start from scratch.
You left out that:
8) Their dealer network won't sell EVs. No service income.
9) They are screwed royally.

I'm not a big Model Y fan - I consider it more of a 3 variant than truly separate model - but sharing so many parts between 3/Y will help financially. I see Fremont production and margins dipping in Q1/Q2 as they start and ramp the Model Y line, but margins should be great for a couple quarters after that because they'll only sell high trim Model Ys at first.

Longer term I see 3+Y combined settling into a ~500k/year sales rate. I realize that's far below Musk's 2 million/year and grounds for excommunication from this board, but that's my base case. Upside could come from:
- Norway-style incentives in larger countries
- ICE bans catching on in cities
- Large COGS reductions allowing ASPs of 40k vs. 50k
- Real FSD (i.e. sleep during your commute)​

I don't expect any of these in the next few years, but many here do. We'll see how it goes.

I think your ~500k prediction for long term combined 3 & Y demand is way way too low. 3 is already above 300k as EVs are still a minuscule percentage of new car sales. Also ignores the steady decrease in entry level pricing combined with better featured cars that Tesla has been producing.