Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That battery module patent is really clever, I take my hat off to the patent lawyers who wrote that, it describes everything, while being opaque about what the real innovations are.

What I think it is describing is a new way to manufacture cells, a module at a time.

1. The cell casing for a group of modules is created as a single unit. [ cheaper, faster, no waste material ]
2. Those cells are filled with electrolyte in parallel. [ faster ]
3. Instead of an end cap, the collector plate(s) are used to seal the cell. [ cheaper ]
4. The collector plate(s) are used connect to the anode and cathode, and contain the circuitry to connect them in parallel. [ cheaper, more robust ]
5. Modules (collector plates) have overlaps, which allows them to be connected together in series. [ cheaper ]
6. Protection systems which where on a per cell basis are now on a per module basis. [ fewer redundant systems, cheaper ]
7. Optimisation of battery, module and cell at the same time. [ cheaper, faster, better energy density ]
8. Better more consistent cooling. [ longer lasting, higher power ]

This was filed in March so given time for drafting, this is the state of Tesla's thinking about 9 months ago. I'm not sure how solid state electrolyte fits in with this.

Wow!

Reactions: AZRI11

TSLA short interest has been unwinding for four months. It appears that the smart short sellers now accept that Tesla is here to stay, and have been slowly covering their positions. If what is implied in those tweets is true, the dam could soon burst, leaving the not-so-smart ones to drown in the torrent.

As far as legality goes, this would be classified as manipulation? Anything else that would be illegal about it?

Anyway, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m sure there are deep pockets shorting Tesla, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up on this sort of thing.

I don't know much about Ghost from Twitter, is he someone where if he says something regarding something Tesla related, we can believe it to be objective and trust worthy, or is he someone with a heavy bias? I've seen him post here and there but not enough to know how much weight to put into this comment from some guy on Twitter.

I have faith in Tesla's ability to make good looking vehicles based on past performance, but every update on the truck makes it sound weirder.

Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2019-10-14_5-13-52.png

I have faith in Tesla's ability to make good looking vehicles based on past performance, but every update on the truck makes it sound weirder.

Elon Musk on Twitter

View attachment 465803

Elon is just having fun here.. it may be unusual looking, but my hunch is people will be surprised how functional the truck is, and relived it is not totally weird...

By getting everyone worried in advance, Elon has laid the ground work for a positive surprise (I hope)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Easternmost Supercharger in mainland Europe goes into construction (Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia). Onwards towards EV-friendly Ukraine and Romania :)
While this all very positive, I still can't help feeling there's lower hanging fruit left on the tree and that the supercharger roll-out is at times quite puzzling.

Take Edmonton in Alberta. A city of 1 million people, with median household income somewhere between US$60-70k equivalent. In a country with existing sales and logistics infrastructure and strong brand presence.

And yet there's no store/gallery and no service centre in Edmonton, the nearest being 300km away in Calgary. There's a single 8-stall supercharger in Edmonton itself but other than that, all you can do is drive south to Calgary but to no other point of the compass.

Jasper National Park to the west gets annual visitor numbers of 2.5 million, presumably a large portion of which come from Edmonton. If you want to meaningfully tap into the market in this wealthy million person city, Jasper is precisely the sort of place you should be building a supercharger corridor to (360km away but with quite a difference in altitude and very cold winters). And yet instead Tesla are focusing on trans Canada, a corridor which one assumes is of fairly trifling importance to most potential customers but gives some sort of bragging right.

Just plonk a service centre in Edmonton and allocate $3-5mn to build 2-3 short supercharger corridors from it. I wonder how many other examples are out there.

Elon Musk on Twitter

View attachment 465803
It may be a smart move. Most of the fan base is apparently male, creating a military style truck is going to appeal in a similar way the Hummer became a classic. And in Elon’s head he might just want to one up ICE trucks again by presenting something that makes gas powered cars stupid

It mentions larger diameter cells, which I assume are Maxwell DBE.

Someone posted a quote in here once it that if Maxwell cells are wound to too small a diameter they can crack...

So if it is Maxwell DBE they don't need the ovens... and it is perhaps a clue as to why they started investigating such a radically different process.

I did not spot a mention of "larger diameter cells", where is that?