Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. EV technology will make people want to buy cars quicker. Instead of taking 20 years to replace the global fleet, it will happen in a shorter period of time. So short-term, demand for vehicles will increase. Tesla will be production constrained for many years to come.

Exactly: the EV transition is only 1% done, there's another 990 million vehicles to replace (!).

The EV industry will be supply constrained for the next 10 years.

No. EV technology will make people want to buy cars quicker. Instead of taking 20 years to replace the global fleet, it will happen in a shorter period of time. So short-term, demand for vehicles will increase. Tesla will be production constrained for many years to come.

Yeah, but who needs to own their own car when a RoboTaxi is just hanging around at the end of your cul-de-sac this December? :rolleyes:

There have to be short margin calls tomorrow! The stock might go really high the next two days before crashing back down. I don't know what to do about Wash Rules on my big loss on my 2020 250 calls. I have some 2021 calls that I didn't touch, that will be up big tomorrow. But I don't think I can sell them, right?!?
Not advice, but when I talked to my accountant last spring, he told me that wash sales apply when mixing stocks and options of the same underlying. He is also under the impression that this should be reflected in the 1099. So my guess is that you can't sell it without triggering wash sale rules.

Edit: I actually "researched" this briefly on the internet, and found a mix of professional opinions from CPAs themselves (some even claiming that it depends on the strike and expiration). What's even stranger is that the IRS does not have an explicit rule on this, but merely states something to the extent that if the security can be considered "reasonably similar", then wash sale rules apply. Honestly, I'm very surprised that they haven't given explicit clarification on this, after all options have been around for a while.

Last edited:
Exactly: the EV transition is only 1% done, there's another 990 million vehicles to replace (!).

The EV industry will be supply constrained for the next 10 years.

I upvoted, but the ability of the market to respond to demand is remarkable. Shortages in major demand shifts are short lived. However, Tesla's advantage is IP which can't be duplicated by competitors quickly building factories.