Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably got slaughtered by saying this: now we're laughing at shorts. But when Tsla sunk below 200 and I was sitting on tons of paper loss, I did double down. That was like throwing good money after bad. When I pressed the buy button I felt like my daughter is accusing me of gambling with her college fund!

I doubled my position at $184 shortly after it bottomed. I cannot pass up a good deal like that! I think I was actually drooling on my keyboard when I hit the "buy" button:

Well said, great analysis. There used to be a lot of Internet search engines out there. Then Google tried an approach that dramatically improved the relevancy of search results (citation-related links). And the competition did not understand the threat until it was too late. I wonder what GM, FCA (Chrysler) and Ford will look like in 10 years.
Who? :)

The only "problem" I see is how long it takes a brand new car company to go from 400,000 units a year to 5,000,000. It seems Tesla needs about 6 new factories, which will just take as long as it takes. But if you ask me, if they could make 5,000,000 next year they would sell them.

If they double every 18 months, they hit it on the fourth doubling, so within 6 years. Three doublings, 4.5 years, to 3,200,000. So my get rich moderately quick scheme is... live 5 years. I’ve become extra cautious crossing the street.

Cash & Equivalents increased by $376MM during the quarter but Tesla's debt increased by $363MM; $294MM was non-recouse--China In-Transit line?
Any thoughts on non recurring / one time gains? Tslaq crowd is harping on one time gains. To me it seems like a lot of one time costs are behind them, write down of non raven, restructuring costs In q1 and q2, declines warranty costs and builds improve. Benefits of scale are starting to build and costs for software R&D are declining per unit that should help margin momentum above 25% in Q4.

Any thoughts on non recurring / one time gains? Tslaq crowd is harping on one time gains. To me it seems like a lot of one time costs are behind them, write down of non raven, restructuring costs In q1 and q2, declines warranty costs and builds improve. Benefits of scale are starting to build and costs for software R&D are declining per unit that should help margin momentum above 25% in Q4.
101 days until Groundhog Day.

• Funny
Reactions: dc_h and madodel
If that's a Rolex, and the Tesla is the Apple Watch, I'll pay extra for the Apple Watch!

The Rolex looks like a death trap in any frontal accident. No air bags and hard surfaces everywhere. It's like going backward 40 years!

Big heavy trucks with seat belts do well in real world crashes, even without airbags.

What part of anachronistic did you not understand?

Tesla pickup will outsell Bollinger ~200:1

You are part of that 200. Bollinger is ok with that and so are future Bollinger owners.

Tesla sells Apple Watches while Bollinger plans to sell Rolexes.

I love my Sea Dweller, so sorry, bad analogy.:)

Rolex (and other over-priced luxury watch owners) love the idea of ridiculously over-engineered mechanical status symbols. That would be analogous to Porsche in my mind.

Porsche::Rolex
Tesla::Apple Watch
Bollinger::G-Shock

So, putting aside the emotions, isn't the argument that, if market cap is a basic measure of value, that Tesla's stock price already has a premium due to the discrepancy between its sales and market cap.

So, putting aside the emotions, your valuation method doesn't include growth rate, profit margins, etc. It's a totally flawed way to value anything, let alone a company with the dynamics exhibited by Tesla.

Gasparino reporting that in a meeting with bankers after the meeting, Tesla's management told the bankers that they have the short sellers right where they want them and are going to squeeze them dry. No interest in cash from banks whatsoever; they're fully content with the position they're in.

Tesla puts the brakes on short sellers

Time to squeeze the TSLAQ pimple

just-let-me-pop-it-dammit-go-away-weall-know-6754893.png

I can't see that happening. Yeah, there is enough Tesla frenzy that they are selling everything they can make, but I'm pretty sure the other 99% of car owners see them as transportation and will wait for EVs to get some track record at the standard price range before they jump on the bandwagon. You can buy a 150 hp lower end car for $20,000. When you can get a comparable EV with 200 mile range for that price then we can start to talk about EVs making inroads. Until then EVs will be ramping up, but it will still not be the main driver in the auto market.

Also, in 5 years Tesla will not be the major player in the EV market. They will be swamped with competition and had better figure out how to make them cheap enough to sell for well less than $35,000 and still make profit. That's what everyone else will be doing.

Elon said that he hopes to make a $21,000 Tesla by the year 2021. Not sure where and when I heard him say that.

In 2119 the Acme Teletransport Company might be taking off and the sclerotic Tesla managers might refuse to accept that change is coming and anyway it would be too difficult to disinvest from their 28 factories and zero SP might follow. So the short prediction could eventually come true.
Meanwhile shares on the Mars exchange will be at ATH.